Portable Laundry Machines?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwilds73

Reaction score
Well since I'm currently living in a studio apartment I want to purchase a portable washer and dryer unit for now and hopefully be able to hook them up in my future sprinter conversion. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with these small apartment sized units? I seen Dometic makes an RV specific Washer/Dryer combo unit but I am not sure if I'd want to purchase that now and use in my studio for now. Any way's thanks in advance for the input.

jwilds73

I guess it would depend on how you are planning to travel....if your going park to park you would have all the water(28 gal. per load) and power to run it.

if not a 5 Gal. pail & Plunger make a great washer and a simple drying rack!!

or research a panda Washer & spinner....I have one in the closet , it is the size of a 32 qt. cooler and does a real good job and easy to store

I've been looking at the Panda's and the Sonya units. I do like that the Sonya is a washer and spin dryer in one unlike the the Panda which uses two seperate compartments. Both do look nice though. The dometic seems just to be to much of a unit and quite heavy.

bucket and a line I live in a stix and bricks but my clothing is usually wool so that means hand wash and that means clean fingernails and attention to details PS My underwear is exofficio

We have lots of time as full timers, so a coin laundry works great for us.
When boondocking, we have to break camp to go dump tanks every couple weeks, so its a day for shopping, laundry, and a meal out.
For us its more stuff to take up space and something else to take care of or go wrong. Plus, we only have a 70 gallon fresh water tank and parks usually have a laundry also.

We're all about less, not more stuff.

I used to use a Wonder Washer, a vintage wringer and a clothes line. Wasn't too great out here in NM since I ended up with clean, muddy clothes. I hate dust storms. I even did the full size sheets in the wonder washer. Now I have a super capacity washer and an LP dryer. Much more convenient than schlepping down to the park laundry. Plus the machines are getting a bit icky since we have so many oil field workers here. But then I have paint tint in most of my work clothes that washes out in the washer (and the Shout Colour Catcher does a great job of keeping it from redepositing on my clothes). By the time the washer is ready to fill the tub again, the 30 gallon water tank has refilled (our water filters knock the water flow down a lot). We will be adding another 30 gallon tank in a few weeks. This will increase our fresh water to the planned 60 gallons. I love my washing machine. Having a washer and dryer on board makes my life so much easier.

I vote for the 5 gallon bucket, toilet plunger, and clothes line. works great I much prefer to hang my clothes on the line to dry, solar dryer as green as you can get. highdesertranger

Two critical questions:

Where are you you going to get all the electricity to run these things?
Where are you going to get all the water they need and where are you going to dispose of it at?

I can't see it working for boondocking in a Sprinter. You better hope a Ranger never comes around and sees you dumping all that water on the ground.

The only answer that works is at RV Parks and yet all RV parks have a laundromat. Your giving up a huge amount of space and money to save yourself the walk carriyng your laundry from the RV to the bath house?
Bob

Spacewise, you'll need a place for dirty laundry and the machine.
Every pound counts in the long run when doing a build. Are the weight, price, water, power, and restrictions worth the hassle and loss of MPGs??

I just can't see the justification.

I think I will give the 5 gallon bucket and plunger a try for awhile. Going to learn to go simple in that regard and step down from my normal high tech lifestyle. Lets consider it a first step in simplifying. Going to pickup a few buckets and and make some portable swamp coolers also.

Belinda2 said:
Jay and Margie,
I have a new toilet plunger. How did you make a mobile washer out of it?

All I did was cut three evenly spaced 3/4" round holes about half way down the rubber.
I don't know that you really need the holes. I suppose they give a sort of turbo action. I copied from someone else ;)

Cut a couple holes in the plunger head for water to pass theu.....but like jay said ...it not necessary.....it only takes a tablespoon of soap in the bucket to do the wash

akrvbob said:
The only answer that works is at RV Parks and yet all RV parks have a laundromat. You're giving up a huge amount of space and money to save yourself the walk carrying your laundry from the RV to the bath house?
Bob
Not all RV Parks have Laundromats. We have been in MANY parks (state, NF, COE and private) that either did not have washers/dryers or they were broken. Not all RV Parks have bathhouses. Cost of upkeep/repairs and the fact that the majourity of manufactured RVs have their own bathrooms means to campground/park owners that bathhouses are not necessary. The one in our park is "out of order" at least once a week (often more) because a park tenant had trashed the bathroom yet again. They break the washers and dryers too. I have no idea how but these are people who smear feces on the walls and have sex in the showers so what do you expect from them. Hubby uses the bathhouse sometimes, I do not.

Pointing out potential problems is one thing. But there is no need to put folks down because they do not live like you do. I do understand that the vandwellers look down a bit on anyone who does not live in a van. Does not mean we cannot give good advise. Especially ones who have been camping/RVing for a long time.

I am NOT in a van. We live in a 40 ft converted school bus 24/7/365. No, it is not "stealthy". I don't need it to be. No, I do not move from spot to spot. No, we do not "boondock". We live in a fullhook up RV park. I do not worry that I will be booted from my "spot" in the wee hours. This is our HOUSE. It is not a weekend toy. This is the last "house" we will live in. It is not temporary. If you have a house where you don't have a washer/dryer, then good for you. I personally prefer to have a washer and dryer. So much so that when we laid out the floor plan we allowed the space needed for the units. I also have a 12 cf upright freezer. 8.8 cf refrigerator, 30" wide gas range. I have a shower along with a flush toilet. We will also install (gasp!) an automatic dishwasher because we want one and we do not like washing dishes by hand. We installed TILE (eek!) for our countertops. I have a 43" wide triple bowl cast iron sink. It weighs over 150lb but the bus can carry so much weight it doesn't make a blip. The bus was converted to be on full hookups and stay unconnected up to 3 nights at a time (our normal "travel mode"). The generator, when it gets installed, will be 7000K RUNNING watts to power the bus and it will be LP (horrors) because we go for months with out running a generator. We have two air conditioners in this thing. I hold down a job that runs between 20 to 40 hours per week. Hubby stays home due to side effects of heart meds. We are NOT on gov dole nor do we want to. last year our income was just a few dollars over $18K. I have been told that I am going to 40 hour weeks in few weeks permanently (or until I leave next year). That will leave me with even less time. Time that I can spend in better ways than sitting in a laundromat.

my "tiny" galley sink

my "RV" range

my "not too stealthy" bus... It can't hide behind the signs...

Can't hide it behind trees...

It even sticks out in the snow.

I use a small electric utility pump and a hose to pump my laundry and misc. water from a lake or stream.......again I use a panda washer and run the generator to do it ....but Im normally using power for other things at the same time....Vacuums , Batteries charging , M/W.....and such.......as far as drying , once there spun out I just string a line or use a drying rack....hang them on plastic hangers....and the end of the day I'm relaxed and done with it !

that is too funny compassrose I like hiding in plain sight. I'm still laughing, It can't get any more portable then your arms. Make sure the clothes you buy (especially undies) dry quickly, stay away from heavy cotton/ heavy cotton towels. I recommend exofficio pricey at first but comfy and they dry very very quickly. I use Dr. Bronner I know expensive but I request it for anyone that wants to give me a gift. No Rolex no Mercedes no big diamond ring just a little good soap. Love peace and out

Lucky mike said:
Cut a couple holes in the plunger head for water to pass theu.....but like jay said ...it not necessary.....it only takes a tablespoon of soap in the bucket to do the wash

And...if you need a bigger washer get a 7 gallon bucket.