portable fire ring/fireplace

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Am looking for anyone with info on either cutting a 55 gal drum or steel fire ring for portable safe burn area nice to have a small fire to cook and keep warm Wrought Iron tripods are nice for hanging cookware over fire.&nbsp;<br>&nbsp; I see a few examples on line and even some commercial products like you would find in a state park they look too heavy and bulky 100lbs plus in some cases.&nbsp;

<SPAN style="COLOR: #999999"><STRONG><EM>Simple, Borrow an angle grinder and cut 3-4-5 inches off the bottom of a clean 44 gallon drum (here)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (200litres) smooth down the grinding edges, I think I've even seen metal edging&nbsp; to tidy this up, drill 3 holes in the side cuts to support your tripod. Give the rest of the drum to someone who wants a compost bin.</EM></STRONG></SPAN><BR><SPAN style="COLOR: #999999"><STRONG><EM>Is that what your looking for?</EM></STRONG></SPAN><BR><SPAN style="COLOR: #999999"><STRONG><EM>Don't know where you would carry it mind.</EM></STRONG></SPAN><BR><SPAN style="COLOR: #999999"><STRONG><EM>Geoff</EM></STRONG></SPAN>

I just use an old washing machine drum. Works great, mine is over 10 years old, still looks new.the ceramic coating lasts a long time and makes for easy clean up.

old washing machine tubs work great many small holes to let heat out air in.&nbsp; a friend has a store bought one it also works great.&nbsp; I like these for several reasons,&nbsp; it's much easier to make sure the fire is out,&nbsp; they are much cleaner than a fire on the ground,&nbsp; doesn't make a bunch of black rocks(I don't use rocks unless already in place I use dirt),&nbsp; make a screen for the top, &nbsp;acts as a spark arrestor.&nbsp; highdesertranger