Plants

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxtonsgram

Reaction score
I saw on the newcomer forum highdesertranger said plants would be confiscated at California border. I want to bring a houseplant with me. Would that be confiscated?  Thanks, nora

let me try to clarify this a little. California has Agriculture Inspection Stations at most border crossings. all vehicles must go through the station. sometimes they just wave you through, sometimes they stop you and ask questions like, do you have any fruits or vegetables? where have you been traveling? do you have any firewood? if you surrender what ever they want that's the end of it. if you try to lie to them that's a different story, they will tear your vehicle apart if they want. you can't bring any produce, live plants, firewood, etc, without the correct paperwork. now after scarring the pants off everybody. I have crossed the border thousands of times and never been searched, I have some funny stories but nothing bad. and yes I have taken produce across the border and not declared it.

so about the house plant when you pull into the station if they can see it they will take it, no use trying to lie if they can see it. highdesertranger

California isn't the only state that has agricultural inspection stations - Florida does as well.

And don't even think about trying to cross the Canada/US border with agricultural products and a whole bunch of other things. :rolleyes:

That said I've only ever been asked specific questions, like do you  have any plants or citrus fruit on board.

But wait, people in Ehrenberg are constantly crossing into Blythe. Every time you go to Blythe, you have to go through the inspection? What if you just have the vegetables in your cooler? Or should you just wait until your out of fruits and vegetables before crossing?

They're mostly looking for commercial or smuggled produce. I think I've probably crossed that inspection station in Blythe a hundred times in the past 2 winters and I've never even been questioned let alone inspected.

The SOP there is to wave all the cars, vans and RV's through as fast as they can.

Getting the van ready to go to town, driving out very slowly on the dirt roads means that one learns to really NEED to go shopping, run errands before you actually go. A trip to town for me means, yes, the fridge is barren, the laundry 'hamper' is full and the water jugs are empty.... :D Oh and you're dying for a real shower.... :D :D I 'might' have some week old partially consumed produce in there and it they ever took it all, it's probably for the best and I'd lose maybe a buck or two if that... :rolleyes:

That and if you're lucky, there's someone else with a car that also needs to go run errands so you car pool!

I've got no experience with Florida, but I have crossed the California border dozens of times. I've been told by staff at the California inspection stations that if the produce in your cooler has those grocery store stickers/tape on it, or is in grocery store packaging that they won't confiscate it, on the theory that it has already been adequately fumigated. Produce without those stickers is subject to confiscation. This makes sense to me, but I also wouldn't bet on it, as the particular pest/diseases they are concerned about at any given time changes according to the threat du jour.

It's a moving target, as what they are specifically concerned about will vary by season, and also by which state you are crossing from. And if they're not worried about an apple pest right then, they won't take your apples, whether from the grocery store or not. I just carry little or no produce when I am crossing into California. After all, it's a very large state with many grocery stores and produce stands! I've never tried in advance to find out what they are worried bout at any specific time, so I don't know whether it's possible to find this out.

I assume by plant, you are talking about a house plant of some kind? I love house plants too, but there are plenty of small house plants for sale in California. And you won't have any trouble leaving with one.

highdesertranger said:
let me try to clarify this a little.  California has Agriculture Inspection Stations at most border crossings.  all vehicles must go through the station.  sometimes they just wave you through,  sometimes they stop you and ask questions like,  do you have any fruits or vegetables?  where have you been traveling?  do you have any firewood?  if you surrender what ever they want that's the end of it.  if you try to lie to them that's a different story,  they will tear your vehicle apart if they want.  you can't bring any produce,  live plants,  firewood,  etc,  without the correct paperwork.  now after scarring the pants off everybody.  I have crossed the border thousands of times and never been searched,  I have some funny stories but nothing bad.  and yes I have taken produce across the border and not declared it.

so about the house plant when you pull into the station if they can see it they will take it,  no use trying to lie if they can see it.  highdesertranger

I was eating an apple and told the lady I had no fruit.  She waved me through.

highdesertranger said:
let me try to clarify this a little.  California has Agriculture Inspection Stations at most border crossings.  all vehicles must go through the station.  sometimes they just wave you through,  sometimes they stop you and ask questions like,  do you have any fruits or vegetables?  where have you been traveling?  do you have any firewood?  if you surrender what ever they want that's the end of it.  if you try to lie to them that's a different story,  they will tear your vehicle apart if they want.  you can't bring any produce,  live plants,  firewood,  etc,  without the correct paperwork.  now after scarring the pants off everybody.  I have crossed the border thousands of times and never been searched,  I have some funny stories but nothing bad.  and yes I have taken produce across the border and not declared it.

so about the house plant when you pull into the station if they can see it they will take it,  no use trying to lie if they can see it.  highdesertranger

When I crossed on HWY 1 from Oregon, they simply asked if I had firewood. I said "yes". They said "Is it commercial, or stuff you cut yourself". I said "commercial". They said "have a nice day" and waved me through.

Latest posts