Planning storage needs... What, how and where?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get up in the morning write down everything you used, 1 wash rag, tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, hand towel, etc. Then pack up what you used in a box or plastic bag. Lay it aside and see if you use it again every day for a week. See if you can use something to do more than one thing or use a smaller portion/container. Pack these items as you would if they were in the van. I have a Tupperware container that is 12" x 16" x 6" that holds everything I use daily plus all my personal hygiene, first aid, medicine, phone charger, flashlight and batteries, extra glasses, etc. If I don't use something for a couple months I consider getting rid of it. Summer time I cut my hair short so I get rid of my hair brush, that gives me space for sun screen as an example. A weeks worth of clothes and two weeks of under clothes. Hit the laundry every 14 days as BLM rules usually require a move. 2 or 3 milk crates handle all my clothes, and shoes. Jackets are stored flat under my mattress, as well as extra bedding. Basically live in your house like you will in your van. Use the same totes, boxes and crates that you will be using in your van and see how it works. Only take things you will use, if in doubt leave it out (see how often you really use it). It won't do you any good if you cannot find or get to it and stores are everywhere if you really need it, space in a van is worth more than a lot of other things you don't use often.

Think of a place for your trash and dirty clothes, and a storage place for the window covers.

AbuelaLoca said:
And I just opened my closet and saw the box of flip-flops... must be 40 pairs in there... How do I part with them? j/k

I had a funny, but maybe not so funny idea: pack it all in a u-haul trailer bound for RTR. lol j/k (((( RTR or bust ))))

bullfrog said:
When you get up in the morning write down everything you used, 1 wash rag, tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, hand towel, etc.  Then pack up what you used in a box or plastic bag.  Lay it aside and see if you use it again every day for a week. 

Fantastic idea! (I made a mental note)

Waldenbound Rock hammer is dual purpose and fits in the door pocket. Be sure it is the pointy one and HDR approved!

CautionToTheWind said:
I had a funny, but maybe not so funny idea: pack it all in a u-haul trailer bound for RTR. lol j/k (((( RTR or bust ))))

I can see it now, the First Annual Quartzite Flip-Flop Flea-Market.

And snowcone stand.

;)

tx2sturgis said:
I can see it now, the First Annual Quartzite Flip-Flop Flea-Market.

And snowcone stand.

;)

Have it in the laundry parking lot where the showers are!  I always forget mine.

Tools, tow rope, a jack or three, solar shower bag, 2gall. garden sprayer, baby wipes,Bluetooth speaker, Boulder Outdoor Survival School kit or similar.

tx2sturgis said:
Well, you're not quite up there with Imelda Marcos...at least not yet....

;)

Those were *just flops!! If I had as much money as Imelda had, I would have had as many shoes! No matter the weight gain or loss, shoes always fit :)

bullfrog, great idea to keep track of daily use items!

dr_nelson and slow2, more things I've forgotten, thank you!

Caution, that is actually a good idea! If I manage to keep them until Jan, the RTR will be the place to let them go!

Brian, snow cones sound divine!!

waldenbound said:
 So, pick your top three, they can go.
Here's how I put together my first aid kit ... The whole kit is in a plastic container I can grab and it is stackable and can be stashed in a nook and cranny somewhere.

If something is a system and needs a lot of little accessories, there's a place to simplify. For instance, a gun. Gun, ammo, cleaning kit, lock, gun safe. Too much. Ice axe, it's one piece, and believe me I will swing away with it if someone is trying to harm me. Just an example.

Fifteen down to three, check (same with shoes!!)

Love the stuff you put in first aid, lots I hadn't thought of.

If I'm gonna have too much of something, it'll probably be weapons. Axe, hammer, knife and gun... Strategically placed.

XFILE36 said:
Or a women's' shelter.

I've tried to give my whole house to women's shelters, but they usually give the ladies vouchers to take to thrift stores to shop instead of storing a bunch of stuff. The girls where I work often get to go on to apartments of their own, so I have donated pots and pans and small appliances and lamps to one of them leaving after she graduates in December. And I still have a ton of crap to get rid of!!

Wood fruit boxes (low profile type) and/or wood crates at the grocery store? I know there is wooden crates for purchase...I'm hoping for avenues to free. :) My creative artist is coming out...watch out! :-*

Find some free pallets and go to creative town.

delete6.jpg

Wallpaper Decoupaged crates

delete7.jpg

This is a DIY smaller wooden version for smaller items (video) --

Attachments

• delete6.jpg
    delete6.jpg
    48.1 KB
  • delete7.jpg
    delete7.jpg
    54.6 KB
Abuelaloca, what time are you coming over for our gtg on Friday? I'm thinking a chicken enchiladas casserole and I can pick up whatever for beverages [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
Abuelaloca, what time are you coming over for our gtg on Friday?  I'm thinking a chicken enchiladas casserole and I can pick up whatever for beverages

Darnit!  Now you're making me hungry LOL.  time for bed...

CautionToTheWind said:
Wallpaper Decoupaged crates

This is a DIY smaller wooden version for smaller items (video) --

Those are adorable!! I would enjoy looking at those all the time :)

Cammalu said:
Abuelaloca, what time are you coming over for our gtg on Friday?  I'm thinking a chicken enchiladas casserole and I can pick up whatever for beverages [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably after 5. Gotta try to sell a few things and then pick my check up! Go gentle on beverages, I'll have to drive home because I can't take the heat in the van overnight.

I have been collecting square, sealable plastic containers of all sizes.
Food will go into them. Sealable to keep the moisture from getting to it...Square because I get the best space use. Plastic because it is a bad idea to have cardboard onboard. Roaches love cardboard. Best prevention is to avoid having anything around they like. Remove anything you buy from its cardboard immediately and toss the box.

Light stuff goes up. Mostly towels, sheets, clothing, toilet paper, etc.
Under the bed is good for heavy stuff or off season stuff.

AbuelaLoca said:
Good advice re: cardboard! I'll remember that!

We can't have cardboard, check. I wrote it down in my little notebook.

Hey Abuela, micro camp towels at REI take up a lot less space than regular terry. Get an extra large for the bath towel, medium for hand and face.
Oh, and everyone needs a basic camp hatchet. There's your all purpose weapon and it chops kindling too.
Dr Bronner's soap, can be diluted down into lots of uses. One soap.

I know I mentioned DollarTree for bins, but I just bought a rectangular plastic bin with cover at the 99 Cents Only Store for $1.99. It's about the size of 2 1/2 big shoe boxes in one.

Latest posts