Planning storage needs... What, how and where?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
Since I'm still in the planning stages of my build and haven't put anything permanent in yet, I thought I'd try to get an idea of what I need to store so I can figure out how and where it's going in the van. If there's anything I'm missing, please feel free to add! I could also use some ideas on how and where you're storing some of this stuff! I wasn't going to build upper cabinets because I'm lazy, but the more I find I need to store, the more I realize those cabinets may be worth their weight in gold!!!

Food: No idea, but maybe upper cabinet. Have stuff like gallons of vinegar and coconut oil and such that are probably too heavy for upper
Water: No idea
Propane: Near the kitchen
Kitchen stuff: 3 drawer cabinet for stove, utensils, cookware, plates, etc.
Personal Hygiene: Upper cabinet?
Meds/First Aid: Upper cabinet?
Clothes: Out of season above cab, others no idea
Bed linens and towels: Above Cab storage
Batteries: No idea
Books: No idea
Electronics, tablet, laptop, etc: No idea
Weapons: some near bed, gun somewhere safe but reachable

What am I missing, how do I deal with it?

I like your new photo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You put in as much storage as possible, then need to be ruthless about what you actually take.

Answers depend on each person.

Mr Tx is in a whole of hurt now, eh? lol We'll force him to stand-up at the RTR, funny guy!

For storage, I'm leaning in some cases using the netting material possibly for rollable clothes.

I love those little cloth baskets I see everywhere, but cannot even afford the ones at Walmart, so I'm thinking about using cardboard boxes and decorating them with craft paper I already own, or maybe some of the cute duct tapes out there... Just one more decision I am procrastinating about... Ha!

AbuelaLoca said:
I love those little cloth baskets I see everywhere, but cannot even afford the ones at Walmart, so I'm thinking about using cardboard boxes and decorating them with craft paper I already own, or maybe some of the cute duct tapes out there... Just one more decision I am procrastinating about... Ha!

Do you have Dollar Tree near you?  They have the cloth boxes for a dollar.

Newspaper/magazine decoupage? Costco (I'm sure more box stores have them) have cardboard boxes with handles; some are short and stout.

Sewing skills:

DIY material with a cardboard box

AbuelaLoca said:
Food: No idea, but maybe upper cabinet. Have stuff like gallons of vinegar and coconut oil and such that are probably too heavy for upper

use up the gallons now before you hit the road. I keep larger bottles (not gallons though) in the deep storage spot I have below the bed and refill small containers in the kitchen. I bullt a pantry in to the kitchen area for food storage...5 drawers of varying height spacing so that at least one of the only will hold short things and one will hold taller items. I measured food packages in the kitchen when I was planning it all out.

Water: No idea

I carry 9 gallons of water - all in 1 gallon containers - 4 to a milk  crate ( 2 crates) and 1 in use in the kitchen. Place on floor before travelling. The milk crates are behind the bed but I can reach them from inside without having to go out and open the back doors.

Propane: Near the kitchen

I stash the 20 lb propane tank in the footwell in front of the passenger seat - out of my way, doesn't need to be moved to hook up to heater and safer than anywhere else in the van

Kitchen stuff: 3 drawer cabinet for stove, utensils, cookware, plates, etc.

My dishes, pots and pans are in the overhead cabinet above the driving compartment; cooking utensils, silverware and stuff like zip locks go in a drawer in the kitchen

Personal Hygiene: Upper cabinet?

I keep a 'shower bag' with everything I need for that in a tote bag. The rest of the personal hygiene stuff is in a shoebox style plastic bin in the cupboard.

Meds/First Aid: Upper cabinet?

First aid kit is in the engine console 'glovebox', the rest are in a dollar store plastic bin the the kitchen cabinet

Clothes: Out of season above cab, others no idea

I put all my clothes in the flat storage bins so that they wouldn't get all tumbled up digging for stuff - one tote is 'take me out to dinner', one is off season storage. Daily use stuff is in two totes with no lids so I don't have to take them on and off. The lids wouldn't fit anyways... :D
Bed linens and towels: Above Cab storage

The first year on the road I carried spares. Now I don't. Strip the bed, do the laundry, make the bed. Single set of towels and one beach towel. The only thing I carry multiples of is tea towels for drying dishes

Batteries: No idea

Are you talking AA etc or are you talking the house battery system. My AAA etc are in a plastic container that goes in the overhead. The house battery system (4 - 6v batteries = 300 lbs) are under the bed accessible from the rear of the van.

Books: No idea

The only books I carry are maps...they go on the dash and in the side pockets built in to the door panels. I use a kindle that I link through my mobile hotspot to the overdrive system for the library. I can access up to 50,000+ books without ever stepping foot in the library and because they get returned automatically I never pay overdue fees.... : :rolleyes:

Electronics, tablet, laptop, etc: No idea

The laptop travels under a pillow on the bed when not in use. The tablet goes in my purse. Camera in it's bag gets stowed somewhere depending on whether I'm doing touristy things or not!

Weapons: some near bed, gun somewhere safe but reachable

My air horn is in one of the drink cups, the bear spray is beside the drivers' seat or packed in my day hiking bag depending...other than that, no weapons - can't help you there!

What am I missing, how do I deal with it?

You're probably  not missing anything, if anything you've got too  much.... :)

And the way to deal with it is to plan an interior that has the storage you think you need less 10% so you have to cut down on what you carry...
. :p

here's where I stash all my 'stuff'. It's worked out great over the past yr and a half.

Heater with clearance to use it. Potty, bucket and whatever supplies to go with it. Head lamp, flashlight, CO monitor, fire alarm, alarm clock, cooler, lawn chair, broom and dust pan. There are two of us so a trailer became necessary!

Heavy stuff goes low, lighter stuff can go higher.

You're probably going to rearrange things a dozen times as you gradually learn what is what.

Best advice I can give is whatever you take, make sure you really need it. Don't drag around a bunch of stuff you won't use.
I had all kinds of grandiose ideas of what I was going to take. Now, it's all well, consolidate this, this can't go, don't need this.
If something is a luxury and not a necessity, it can go as long as it is small and light.

Yeah... I am cleaning out my house... I think I'm in the "I don't want to get rid of that" phase, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to fit it in the van!! For instance, I have about 15 containers of body lotion (most never opened) that I'm trying to make a basket for. And tons of packages of benadryl and aspirin and bandaids and cough drops and stuff... and, and...

Those are all great suggestions of where to store stuff, Beth! Thanks for the reminder of that other stuff, bullfrog! And thanks X and Caution for the storage basket ideas!! TC, you're right! I will probably change things a hundred times! I am a furniture rearranger in my s&b too! That's my problem, waldenbound, I think everything is a necessity! HA!!

And I just opened my closet and saw the box of flip-flops... must be 40 pairs in there... How do I part with them? j/k

AbuelaLoca said:
Yeah... I am cleaning out my house... I think I'm in the "I don't want to get rid of that" phase, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to fit it in the van!! For instance, I have about 15 containers of body lotion (most never opened) that I'm trying to make a basket for. And tons of packages of benadryl and aspirin and bandaids and cough drops and stuff... and, and...

Ok, let's take it here. Fifteen bottles of body lotion, ok, that is something that is used, especially keeping hands hydrated outdoors. So, pick your top three, they can go.
Here's how I put together my first aid kit. I got a plastic field box. It looks like an ammo can, only plastic. You need band aids, something to wash up a wound, one Ace bandage. Absorbent materials aren't easy to find in the outdoors, especially in the desert where everything is prickly. So, I have about six maxi pads. Some tampons for nosebleeds. Basic over the counter medicines like ibuprofen, anti-diarrheals, Benadryl for allergies. The boxes can even be thrown away to save space. Tweezers to pick out a tick or stinger, nail clippers, thermometer. The whole kit is in a plastic container I can grab and it is stackable and can be stashed in a nook and cranny somewhere. Be sure to rotate out any expired medications.

If something is a system and needs a lot of little accessories, there's a place to simplify. For instance, a gun. Gun, ammo, cleaning kit, lock, gun safe. Too much. Ice axe, it's one piece, and believe me I will swing away with it if someone is trying to harm me. Just an example.

I think I have around 20-40 pairs of shoes, but don't wear any of them. I wear special shoes because of my back (surgery) generally. I may bring a few pairs and donate the rest. If you donate some that could make you feel good. I say Salvation Army...

AbuelaLoca said:
And I just opened my closet and saw the box of flip-flops... must be 40 pairs in there... How do I part with them? j/k

Well, you're not quite up there with Imelda Marcos...at least not yet....

;)