Planning storage needs... What, how and where?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to downsize here, too. Think I'm going to end up getting a small mini-storage unit. sigh....where did all this stuff come from??? and books. omg, I have books.... this is a big job.

Be ruthless! Paying rent for stuff you don't need, dealing with the work and stress multiple times, really, nonono

99% is really just worthless junk if you can just detach from the nostalgia effect.

If you do the storage unit, then give yourself till the end of your new unit promo spacial runs out - 2 or 3 months usually. That's what I did this last time, after I got stuff down from an 8 by 8 to 2 5 by 5s. Now I'll be down to only one unit by the end of this month (one month early) and then hopefully down to no units (doubtful but possible).

Make yourself hard and fast downsizing rules.

1. Easily replaced - gone
2. Oop book you love with no current issue that works. -- keep
3. Siggy by your child - keep
4. Old textbooks - is it a subject you still use or your kids will use?

For clothes:
If it doesn't fit, you must Aquit (sp) it - gone.
Holes - gone
Needs hemming that you'll never do - gone
Stains - gone.
Missing buttons - gone
Wedding gown - double check with your daughter on her feelings and plans on maybe wearing it.
If not worn in a year - gone

Figure out how often you wash clothes. Put what all you wear over and over aside to go through in the following ways:
Panties - keep all
Socks - a pair per number of days till normal wash period (I. E. 14 pairs for 2 weeks washing cycle).
Ditto for pants plus an extra pair.
Shorts - depends upon weather there - if cold then only a few shorts.
Short sleeve Shirts one per day per wash period
Long sleeve shirts - half to 2/3 depending up how cold it gets there
1 heavy winter coat
1 lighter coat that is good for wind and rain, too.
2 Light weight sweater jackets that can worn under coats, if needed.
Bathing suits - depends on your personal needs

You get the picture.

Shoes - please don't look at me on shoe downsizing advice - unless worn out or really uncomfortable and never worn but once.

Don't forget to measure the inside usuable room of the unit before buying storagr shelves. I ended up having to put two 4foot wide units right in front of each other instead of in an L shape as planned due to the few inches the garage door railing takes up. Can we say blonde? Yep, but at least I learned to pay attention to type of walls for added hooks and to height usability space limits.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

FYI I have a metal/steel commercial storage rack for sale $5 you move. 4 feet high via 3 shelves. 1.5 feet deep.
Mountain View, CA.

I also have a metal cubby tyoe storage rack for sell - $5 you move. It's 4 feet wide by 1.5 feet wide and deep.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This has been a great thread since I have also been been trying to plan my layout and there is a lot I need to add to my list . I see where several people are using the hanging shoe storage bags, but cutting them into strips and placing them in different areas. You might also want to have a small container that has various size binder clips, safety pins, command wall hangers and even large paper clips can be used to close food bags once they have been opened.

Just a thought.

~Sherry

I've been ruthless with the clothes, really weeded those out last fall. Same with shoes. (That one was really hard!!). Purses weeded out and will do again. I have loads of shelves in my house, hoping I can find something that works in the trailer. I'm trying really hard to not buy anything special for this endeavor, using what I have on hand and saving the money for important things, like solar panels and whatnot. The object is to get rid of, not buy more so I can get rid of...that sounds self-defeating. What can't be sold will be donated to Salvation Army.

Haven't seen anybody mention hanging stuff so will toss this onto the heap:

Large cup hooks are good for screwing into walls and ceilings to hang things.  Two strategically placed above the head of my bed to hold the solar lantern for reading at night.  Several in the ceiling, parallel with the wall, above the "kitchen" area, got a cafe style curtain rod, hung it from the cup hooks, used S-hooks on the rod to hang various items, a net/scarf hammock for bread, produce, etc.  Also ran a rod across the back for small items (underwear, socks, gloves).  Keep it close to the walls so you don't hang yourself on it.

I used scarves to make hammocks for stuff.  Tie a knot on each end and there's your hammock.  And they were pretty.

Best wishes.

Love that idea, Stargazer! I have several scarves I want to incorporate and this is a perfect way to do so! Thanks!

Latest posts