Planning Guidance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivingOurPeace

Reaction score
As some of you know, I've been posting on the forums for a few days.

Hubz and I are in the early planning/saving stages, but we've decided on a small bus at least. LOL

The problem I'm having is that I'm just getting overwhelmed. There's so much to know, remember, plan for, etc etc.
Does anyone have any advice to help me organize the process a little and make it less daunting?

Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!
Brandy

Simplify and experiment. A good night's sleep is the most important aspect in this lifestyle in my opinion. Space is always a premium and bed or beds take up a lot of room. So find out what the smallest space and sleeping arrangement is that will work for you. Lay it out where you live now. You can use milk crates and sheets of plywood in a corner with pieces of cardboard to simulate the other two walls. Hang a sheet or use pieces of paracord to simulate the ceiling for head room to determine the amount of space you will need and consider how much storage space underneath will be affected. Remember the less space you use the less you will have to heat and the more you will have for other necessities but a comfortable space to sleep is the starting point and will determine most of the rest of the floor plan. For us in a narrow space, two beds on either side provided a wider aisle to stand and dress in. We were able to make 2 different mattresses that were comfortable, thinner and easier to make than what we had in a sticks and bricks house. We made them so they could be changed into one large bed by bridging the aisle and sliding the mattresses together as well. Hammocks, memory foam, wooden built frames, bought metal frames and sleeping bags all need to be considered as well as storage. Prioritize your needs and work through each one. For us a good sleep was number 1.

One small step at a time. Just keep chipping away. Get a spiral notebook and start making lists of things you "need".

I haven't read all your posts, but the first thing I want to know is what kind of traveling you've done, and what kind of travel you want to do. Do you go camping? Have you ever travelled in an RV? What did you like / not like about your experiences?

The best advice that I've seen is to measure the interior dimensions of the vehicle you are thinking about using, then tape it out on your living room floor. Move pieces of furniture into the area. Use cardboard boxes if you don't have anything the right size. Move all of the things that you think you'll need into that space. Then move in yourself and try living in that space. See what you really need and what you don't need. Add and subtract as necessary. Of course, this isn't reality. You'll be spending a lot of time outside but it's surprising how much time van dwellers do spend in their vehicles especially on rainy, cold, or windy days,

Don't start buying things now. Much of the stuff you think you need won't be what you really need. It's better to start with the minimum and then add things as you find what fits with your style of van dwelling.

This is all great advice so far - thank you all for commenting.

I love the idea of taping off the area and "building" it in the house. I'll be doing this SOON.

To answer questions:

I have never traveled. Well, not since I was 10 and drove to Niagara Falls with my parents in their Chevette. LOL
I HAVE done a lot of camping, and I enjoy it very much - while, admittedly, it hasn't been recent. Never RV camping. Always in a tent.
I DID once live in a minivan for a little over a year, long before I knew anything about doing it "right."

A little background to give you context...

Several years ago (7ish), I hurt my back at work. Shortly after that I started having panic attacks, then bouts of crippling depression.
For the last 3 and 1/2 years, I rarely leave my house. Even more rarely leave the house without my husband. Given that he works six days a week, 12+ hours per day, it's rare that I get out. I am in therapy at least bimonthly, but it has helped only minimally.
Our hope is that this will solve many of the challenges we have now that I'm 'broken.'
Also, since I spend 99% of my time in my bedroom, I have no concerns about living in a small space, and Hubz says he's not bothered, either. I'm sure he just wants to do whatever needs to be done to see me start living again, but hopefully the taping off idea will give him a more realistic idea and help him make a more informed decision.

I'll stop there, I hope it wasn't too long winded for you guys. And I hope I answered your questions.

Thank you all again for your input. It's invaluable to us, truly.

LivingOurPeace said:
As some of you know, I've been posting on the forums for a few days.

Hubz and I are in the early planning/saving stages, but we've decided on a small bus at least. LOL

The problem I'm having is that I'm just getting overwhelmed. There's so much to know, remember, plan for, etc etc.
Does anyone have any advice to help me organize the process a little and make it less daunting?

Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!
Brandy
I am in a similar  situation as I am also just starting. I kinda just jumped in with  maybe 3 months "planning".  NOw as I have gotten into it and just with a van.. the idea of a bus does indeed seem daunting.

You will hear a million and one ways of doing it. The forums here have provided alot of support and tips.. but ultimately at the end... it ONLY matters what will work for you..  your budget and your skills, your time and patience :)

2 Major things I have learned to make it  better for my sanity:

HAVE FUN.  This imHo is required. I found when it started being a focus on trying to be perfect I got unhappier and discouragement started to creep up on me.
Adjust expectations. Youtube is great for inspiration.  BUt the videos I have seen there do NOT show the difficult times. They make "perfection" look so easy. I had to realize real quick that I am not a pro and in no way should I expect to produce those kinds of results as seen in soo many videos.

Alot of errors can be covered up behind paneling or under flooring... put a rug down or picture over it, build a counter over it...lol

Set the bar low... and then raise it where and when your budget or skill allows... Setting my bar too high at the start was a huge mistake. It is like pole vaulting..LOL

I am doing this build out to switch it up and really start enjoying a new way of living...it starts with the build and your preparation.
I don't want to look back at a "perfect" build that was stressful to do. I will love my van with all its little imperfections that I had fun with from the start.

Have fun!

Back injuries are hard to cope with and mess up your sleep for sure.

LivingOurPeace said:
I HAVE done a lot of camping, and I enjoy it very much - while, admittedly, it hasn't been recent. Never RV camping. Always in a tent.
I DID once live in a minivan for a little over a year, long before I knew anything about doing it "right."
OK, start there. 

What was living in a tent like? What was living in your minivan like? What things did you miss the most? What do you NEED (not desire) to be comfortable? Did you hate not having a sink, for instance, or was not having a sink among the least of your worries? Walk yourself through what you imagine that a typical day in your bus/van would be like.

As to the kind of vehicle, well, it depends on what kind of traveling you want to do. If you mostly want to travel between established campgrounds, then you might prefer a larger rig. Or conversely, if you decide you need a larger rig to feel human, then be aware that you will be limiting yourself as to places you can stay. If you can, rent an RV for a long weekend. Or, rent a cargo van for a long weekend, just throw some kind of bed and camping gear in it, and go. See how it feels.

What will you be doing for income? I take it that your husband will be the breadwinner. Can he do whatever he does for money in the middle of nowhere, or does he have to be somewhere close to a town/city?

The biggest problem with a bus is fuel and repair costs. Sure it would be nice if my van was just a little bit larger. But then it would need a larger engine that would require more gas. And busses are even more demanding. Are the two of you capable of doing much of your own vehicle maintenance, or will you be paying pro mechanics?

When I got overwhelmed with it all, I broke it down into categories and only focused on one aspect at a time with with MY priorities in mind. So, for cooking, that's all I worked on for planning for a few days, keeping options within my own parameters of simple and compact.
Baby steps...

Dont bite off too much. Just get a cheap class C for the time being and do trial runs. No building, no fuss, pretty cheap, ready to roll. Its being homeless, its not complicated.

sleepydogtravels said:
When I got overwhelmed with it all, I broke it down into categories and only focused on one aspect at a time with with MY priorities in mind. So, for cooking, that's all I worked on for planning for a few days, keeping options within my own parameters of simple and compact.
Baby steps...
:thumbsup: Yeah, she said what I meant to say, but I misplaced my notebook with all the categories spelled out.

BuckleBrown said:
I am in a similar  situation as I am also just starting. I kinda just jumped in with  maybe 3 months "planning".  NOw as I have gotten into it and just with a van.. the idea of a bus does indeed seem daunting.
Sometimes I wish we had done it this way! I guess no matter how anyone goes about it, there will be more and less stressful points for each method.  We chose the bus based on a number of factors. After watching Bob's video about choosing a rig and balancing what we need with what we're able to do and tolerate, a small bus seems like the best choice. Of course, we're still early on. This could easily change, too!!!!

HAVE FUN.  This imHo is required. I found when it started being a focus on trying to be perfect I got unhappier and discouragement started to creep up on me.
Adjust expectations. Youtube is great for inspiration.  BUt the videos I have seen there do NOT show the difficult times. They make "perfection" look so easy. I had to realize real quick that I am not a pro and in no way should I expect to produce those kinds of results as seen in soo many videos.
Both of these are fantastic advice that I've only really thought about peripherally so far. I should stitch it on a sampler to hang in the bus while we're working to remind us!!  LOLOL Instagram is especially good at making the whole thing seem very glamorous. Thankfully, I'm old enough and cynical enough to know better. I'm so grateful to Bob for showing the real side AND real PEOPLE!
Imagine that, there are people living as Nomads who aren't stunningly beautiful size 2 models travelling with professional photographers!???

Alot of errors can be covered up behind paneling or under flooring... put a rug down or picture over it, build a counter over it...lol
Set the bar low... and then raise it where and when your budget or skill allows... Setting my bar too high at the start was a huge mistake. It is like pole vaulting..LOL

I am doing this build out to switch it up and really start enjoying a new way of living...it starts with the build and your preparation.
I don't want to look back at a "perfect" build that was stressful to do. I will love my van with all its little imperfections that I had fun with from the start.
This is all great advice, too. It's also a big part of the reason I want to use as much reclaimed material as possible in our build. I told my husband all these fancy new builds are nice and all, but they look sterile and boring. Using reclaimed/salvaged/used/repurposed materials will not only save us money and be easier on the planet, it will give our rig charm and personality!! Imperfections in the build itself will do the same. Perfect is BORING! LOL

Thank you so much for taking the time to give all these great suggestions.  I so appreciate it! :)
Brandy

maki2 said:
Back injuries are hard to cope with and mess up your sleep for sure.

Yes, it is a challenge, but I manage the best I can.
Didn't you post a different reply? I try to keep up with Thanking everyone for replying until I can get a chance to go through and answer everyone, and I could have SWORN you posted a long answer. I even went out and bought the Chromium suggested!!! Or maybe I was dreaming! LOL I'm on other meds, so it's not outside the realm of possibility haha.

Unfortunately that's the only part I remembered. I was only able to read it once before it disappeared. 

In any case, thank you. :)

jacqueg said:
What will you be doing for income? I take it that your husband will be the breadwinner. Can he do whatever he does for money in the middle of nowhere, or does he have to be somewhere close to a town/city?

The biggest problem with a bus is fuel and repair costs. Sure it would be nice if my van was just a little bit larger. But then it would need a larger engine that would require more gas. And busses are even more demanding. Are the two of you capable of doing much of your own vehicle maintenance, or will you be paying pro mechanics?

You've given me plenty to think about, and I put it all on my initial list. I have a lot of paring down and organizing to do to this list, and answering your initial questions will all be a part of that.

Dan is the primary breadwinner, but I contribute to our income as I'm able. We'll be doing some workamping as well. 
Also, we do intend to have a sizable financial safety net. We have no desire to get on the road and get stuck at the first pitfall, so the finances were the first thing we talked about and hashed out. 
Also, I'm looking into finding SOMETHING I can do for a regular income I can do on the road, like medical coding/billing. I know there are some things out there, I just have to find one I'm able to do.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I appreciate it very much!

sleepydogtravels said:
Baby steps...

This is a fantastic idea. I'm going to share it with my Hubz and see what we can come up with!!
Thank you for sharing - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pup!!

Maybe we'll cross paths on the road and they can play! :)

Lowdesertpatrol said:
Dont bite off too much. Just get a cheap class C for the time being and do trial runs. No building, no fuss, pretty cheap, ready to roll. Its being homeless, its not complicated.

We have a minivan now that we're going to do some weekend runs in at first and build up to longer as his work allows. 
I've done the homeless thing, but that was involuntary. You're right, though.... why do humans always make things harder than we need to?!  LOL

Hi Brandy - are you planning to travel full time or part time... keeping your sticks and bricks? I just moved out of mine - that was a huge job. You never know how much you own until you have to move it... old saying, and it is so true. If you're planning to move, start giving things away now. (Or sell, but giving away is easier.)

Don't buy much in advance. Wait until you need it as there will be little room for things in the van, so buy sparingly. Your needs may change along with the weather or your location.

I've been in my van since July. I have a nice floor but otherwise, no build . . . no kitchen. It is a nice van on the outside. Inside, just a bedroom. It hasn't all been easy. I've had multiple problems in getting adjusted to this kind of living. For example, right now, I'm battling cold in an uninsulated van. I just bought an insulated cargo trailer and may be spending the winter in that in a cold climate... and I have insulation for my van but haven't started installing it yet. There's so much to be done and the colder it is the harder it is for me to do anything at all.

There have been other problems. Just be prepared to deal with things one thing at a time, and don't expect everything to be carefree living.