Planning ahead for life on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessbee

Reaction score
Hi! If this year has taught me anything, it's to go chase what you want now because the future is uncertain. So I'm planning to hit the road for a year, just me and my husband and a van (not purchased yet). We have a lot of experience road tripping and car camping, but not for an extended period of time. I have so many questions but I'm really excited for this journey and seeing where it takes us.

I'm here to learn more about how to choose the right van and how to live life on the road without being a lifestyle blogger (not interested in that). I've already got a rough outline for the route we'd like to take and the places we'd like to visit. Along the way I'm planning to redefine what work looks like for me (I'm currently a personal trainer and run my own business) in order to accommodate more travel and less hours committed to other people's schedules.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum, Jessbee. I sincerely hope you find what you’re looking for. You are in the right place. Bob Wells started this forum he also has a good website and his YouTube site will answer most of your questions. He has a course on two different “web schools“ It cost a little bit of money but things are A bit more organized topically. Ask a question here you’ll get at least three different opinions, your mission should you choose to accept it Mr. Phelps is to decide which one he is right for you.

You might not be a lifestyle blogger but you could develop some workout routines to put on a youtube channel that are esdy to do in a van and/ or outside of it. That could become one of your invome sources.

Most people tend to get whatever the first van they can find for a good price and quality. 

Vans can be very expensive, especially the big ones. Which range from 30k to 120k.

I would recommend looking into a diesel one that is 4WD with a high top. If you plan to go offroading. 
If not, 4wd doesnt really matter as much, but diesel will last you longer on fuel AND engine will last much longer. They are very expensive however, so youll probably be looking at ones that are near their life cycle. 
High top should be non negotiable if you plan to stand up in your van. Otherwise it feels like a small tent and youd be better off with just a large SUV or minivan at that point. 

I got a cheap gas one but its lasted me well. I wish it were 4wd and diesel. Hate refilling every few so miles.

maki2 said:
You might not be a lifestyle blogger but you could develop some workout routines to put on a youtube channel that are esdy to do in a van and/ or outside of it. That could become one of your invome sources.
Yeah I thought about something like that. But having to monetize youtube channels, do all the marketing... Just not my style. I'm hoping that having a year off will help me reflect on priorities and figure out a new work-life balance that allows me more time flexibility. Definitely interested in seasonal park work while hubby does his work remotely, if we decide to continue past the first year.

FreedomRam said:
Vans can be very expensive, especially the big ones. Which range from 30k to 120k.

I would recommend looking into a diesel one that is 4WD with a high top. If you plan to go offroading. 

High top should be non negotiable if you plan to stand up in your van. Otherwise it feels like a small tent and youd be better off with just a large SUV or minivan at that point.
Thanks, good advice. We are planning to save like crazy so we can buy exactly what we want, which is why we not starting our trip tomorrow. 

In the meantime I'm reaching out to people I know locally who have vans, or friends with vans, so I can check out their set ups and get an idea of what's important for us. It's hard to tell from youtube videos how something is going to feel.