Plan to use a HotLogic and a 12v mug ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbit said:
If you do get a 12 volt mug, please be sure and review it here. I'd like to know more about them.

Rabbit, Suanne uses a 12 volt mug, and discusses it on her Prius blog.
Just web search:
Code:
mug site:suanneonline.blogspot.com

Maki: that's the same model stove I bought a year ago! :)
Ditto to all you said about it. :)
Mini review for others:
I've used it extensively both based in my car (last summer&fall) and now in my van.
As Maki says, it's compact, easy to store in either vehicle, and has been great to cook with.
Have only used it with butane (so far).
I had intended to try it inside my car, but am too Competently Paranoid, so only used it outside on grills & tables.
I use it regularly inside the van, particularly when it's cool (raises the inside temp by about 5F, depending on what I'm cooking). When it's hot, I just pop a window.

Thanks Rabbit

Skipping breakfast in the morning and just drinking black coffee is how I lost 30 pounds.
BUT .......
I put it back on, at least 20 pounds of it.

So to pop in "lunch" in the HotLogic" and than it's ready in 2 hours will be better for me to lose weight. ;-)

UtahPam said:
Thanks Rabbit

Skipping breakfast in the morning and just drinking black coffee is how I lost 30 pounds.
BUT .......
I put it back on, at least 20 pounds of it.

So to pop in "lunch" in the HotLogic" and than it's ready in 2 hours will be better for me to lose weight. ;-)

I once lost sixty-five pounds, then regained almost a hundred of it. So I can relate. Again, best of luck!

Here's a link to the 12-volt Hot Logic, so you can read more about it if nothing else.

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Logic-Mi...Logic+12+volt&qid=1556369281&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The HotLogics are pretty handy and no-fuss, if you can get used to figuring out the cooking times and don't mind over-cooking sometimes. I found they can keep on raising in temperature way past the stated limit. That means whatever it means to your particular food, but it also means that for fire considerations, I put mine on top of a wooden cutting board so it doesn't melt my countertop.

The recipe book is by and large terrible, both minimal and unimaginative regarding recipes, as I recall. It really is a wild west kind of appliance, made with little care for developing the community and boosting sales through approbation.

Hi Dingfelder
Thanks for you post and tip of putting it on a cutting board.
I figure an Amy's frozen meal and a bag of fresh frozen veggies is not too unhealthy.

I do plan to cook more than just in the HotLogic that but I think that won't be a bad start.

Sounds simple enough. I'd be tempted to defrost first so the outside isn't way overcooked by the time you get the inside to defrost and then cook through.

I have heard that too. I havent bought one yet so I cant say from personal experience but I have heard more than once that the thermostat doesnt kick in at the 165 degrees or whatever like the hotlogic claims. Maybe hotlogics dont like cheap inverters,  maybe its "user error" (in other words an "ID10T" error), or maybe there are other variables. Like I say I cant tell one way or another as I havent bought one yet although I do intend to.

I must have a defective unit as it takes awhile to reach One sixty.

Well maybe not. Its intended to be a slow cooker. That's why it works so well for us. Doesnt drink a lot of power and is ultra portable. If it heated to 160 in just a few minutes that 45 watts would be more like 400 watts. Maybe even more. At that point it wouldn't be as useful for most travelers.

All I can say is what my properly calibrated digital thermometer told me -- 185F degrees.  Definitely makes a difference if you don't want dry chicken breasts, which should be cooked to 165F.

I took them out, being more interested in rescuing my food than testing the unit to see how high the temperature might go.  Being off by 20 degrees is pretty significant, especially for any kind of meat.  I feel that if the manufacturer is not reliable in terms of regulating temperature, caution is in order.  I will still use the unit, but, unlike my normal slow cooker, will check on it more often, will protect whatever it is sitting on from scorching, and would not leave it unattended for extended periods of time.

XERTYX said:
Well maybe not. Its intended to be a slow cooker. That's why it works so well for us. Doesnt drink a lot of power and is ultra portable. If it heated to 160 in just a few minutes that 45 watts would be more like 400 watts. Maybe even more. At that point it wouldn't be as useful for most travelers.

Yup.  A problem with many slow cookers is that they bring things to a boil and often keep them there instead of a low simmer.  That defeats some of the main advantages of slow cooking.  It is bound to lead to more food stuck to the bottom and possibly burned, too.  Low and slow is good!

Low and slow. Words of wisdom. People would call me nuts for cooking curries for hours and hours. Time was a luxury they couldn't afford. Some things might be pretty good cooked fast but turn into GOLD when you slow cook them.

I've always wondered why I don't see more Prius Conversions to like a Class-C.   Since they are also a rolling generator.

This is the best Professional conversion I've seen so far.

bca39956165e54c8a930f8b0d4857d2f--toyota-prius-camping-car.jpg

And a young DIY'er conversion. (I would bet he thinks that there's a LEO at every mile marker when he travels)

toyota-prius-motor-home.jpg

But for the average Prius owner (a friend of mine owns one and we were talking about this)  there is an add on tent for limited Cheap RVing.

181f6b0255014bc203fe6b010580bddf.jpg

Then he's just wanting to overnight when he takes week end trips out of town.  So all he needs is a campground with showers & bathrooms.  I suggested he take some long blue plastic tarps  and set them up as "V" shaped privacy screens at the rear of the car.  A small cooler placed on the floor of the front passengers seat with some drinks and snacks would be all he would need for an overnight.

couple of points,

that one is the first pic has got to be way overloaded. suspension, brakes, and drive train is going t take a beating. not to mention the liability if there is an accident.

the one in the second pic. see where the tent is up against body and paint, if you have it set up and a dust storm blows up, dust and sand gets between the paint and the material. with the action of the wind, the dust and sand it's just like sandpaper with a power sander. ask me how I know this.

highdesertranger

Can you talk more about liability here?  I'm wondering how this might be endangering others etc. to the point that liability would be increased.

if you modify a vehicle and you have a system failure you are liable especially if you are in an accident. they will come after you for monetary compensation. a system failure could be brake failure, tire blow out, suspension failure, etc. I personally know someone that this happened to.

highdesertranger