Plan C – Cube Van Planning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GotSmart said:
Sealed batteries can be placed anywhere.  I would look hard at putting them in the front passenger side box.

In the original sticky-note plans, I was going to have the battery box in the cabin. I would have replaced the passenger’s seat with a box and been able to access it from both the passenger door and the cargo/dwelling area but with some vehicles, removing the passenger’s seat is illegal and it looks a bit odd that it would be missing and replaced with a wooden box.

At one point I was even debating covering it with a cardboard box cover- so it looked like an actual box…

Then that plan got scrapped when I realized that space would be the perfect place for the mini-fridge- but later when I did the 3d model- I realized I had enough room under the elevated bed-platform and the batteries could store in a pull-out unit under the closet.

Side note:
Batteries will likely be Gel- so I don’t have to worry about off gassing + I will LIKELY have a vent on that door- JUST IN CASE.

Thing’s change- I adapt my plans and correct the kinks. Always improving.

I have to say- I drew the layout (to scale) MULTIPLE times, each wall- the ceiling, the floor- but when you see it all together you realize there are several nook’s and crannies that can be better utilized and I started to work them in.

For example, see below:
I discovered the space over the wheel well, between the closet and the sink area- blocked off by the fridge is just dead space right beneath the bed’s surface. If I add a hinge to open the bed frame below the foam mattress, It’s the perfect little area to store linens.

zl9iy1.jpg

I’m now debating swapping the side the door is on so the battery box is closer to the thing that need’s it most- the computer (desk area) and the fridge. This way all the electric is on one wall and all the water will be on the other wall (I can use the space over the wheel-well near the sink’s area for the water tank storage).

2vj3mt1.jpg

LeeRevell said:
Aha!  I begin to see the madness in your method.....  uh.....   'method to your madness'!  :)
I have been playing with some drawings too, but haven't yet taken it to the stage of 3D modeling - that is a great idea!
Thanks!

+I think we all need a little madness in our lives… otherwise we’ll never have the courage to cut the ‘noose of normal’ and set ourselves free. If we deprive ourselves of the opportunities that are restricted because of unwritten laws that define social acceptance- we’re not really living for ourselves, now are we?

My thoughts on the placement were for more than one reason.  You need to keep your load balanced.  Driver on one side, battery on the other.  I have 4 batteries, so about 500 lbs on one side due to design flaw in my build.  It tilts.  Almost a 3 inch difference between the right side and left on my van.

That spot will be subject to less violent movement/bounce in case of hitting a hole or rock.  In the back the effect is magnified.  (Bump~ Slam!)

Ease of access to hook up wiring.  As it is I have to remove a cabinet to gain access to my batteries to work on the wires.  This does not happen often, but just once makes it worth it. 

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 11
GotSmart said:
My thoughts on the placement were for more than one reason.  You need to keep your load balanced.  Driver on one side, battery on the other.  I have 4 batteries, so about 500 lbs on one side due to design flaw in my build.  It tilts.  Almost a 3 inch difference between the right side and left on my van.

That spot will be subject to less violent movement/bounce in case of hitting a hole or rock.  In the back the effect is magnified.  (Bump~ Slam!)

Ease of access to hook up wiring.  As it is I have to remove a cabinet to gain access to my batteries to work on the wires.  This does not happen often, but just once makes it worth it. 

How critical is this.

Will 100 lbs make a difference or is it not noticeable until you hit 200, 250.

Where's the point of no return?

And does it make a difference depending on which van you're driving ie more noticeable on a 1/2 ton as compared to a 3/4 ton.

Keep in mind you want the side door on the curb side of the vehicle. Any shore power connection needs to be located on the drivers side like in a typical RV design.

Almost There said:
How critical is this.

Will 100 lbs make a difference or is it not noticeable until you hit 200, 250.

Where's the point of no return?

And does it make a difference depending on which van you're driving ie more noticeable on a 1/2 ton as compared to a 3/4 ton.

That depends on the vehicle.  I was hoping my tool storage on the right side would balance it out, but it did not.

I have a 3/4 ton with new shocks, blocks, and overloads.  

I think if you balance out the heavy things, the small ones should not make as much of a difference. 

In this 70 lb cabinet is 100 lbs of supplies.  Under it is the batteries. (260?) The same side also has 100 lbs of closet items.

The other side has 200 lbs of tool boxes.  The back of the van has another 500 lbs of tool boxes dispersed.  

Attachments

• 20140801_1815451.jpg
    20140801_1815451.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 13
GS, sounds like a small secure enclosed trailer for your tools would be better, unless that would be too cumbersome in traffic and parking.

You could have signage on it saying, "Manure Pickup & Transport", to keep the curious at bay.......

I just need to learn from my mistakes. If I take my tools out, it will really lean to one side!

Now ALSO working on counter-balancing the weight of stationary and loose items...

Here's the bed-frame re-work:
EJdIV0c.jpg

Q022Yd7.jpg

JFOhLvE.jpg

Presuming the door and path to it will be on the left (passenger side) of this model and the closet on the right.

Matlock said:
If you register it for personal use the title will show that. Then you can insure it "for personal use only". I could only find one insurer that would let the agent choose a use from their drop down menu, that was State Farm. You could title it as an RV, note: each state has different requirements as to what is inside the box that actually makes it an RV in the eyes of that state.

I once asked the lady at a D.M.V. in Nevada what it would take to register my old box truck as an R.V. She told me that they would have to inspect to make sure it had the amenities of an R.V. inside. It should have a way to cook, sleep, go to the rest room, and store food. I asked if having a bed, a portable stove, a bottle fed sink, insulated cooler, and a porta potti would suffice. She said she thought so.  If you think about it, that's all an R.V has, albeit fancier versions. ;-)

Ballenxj said:
I once asked the lady at a D.M.V. in Nevada what it would take to register my old box truck as an R.V. She told me that they would have to inspect to make sure it had the amenities of an R.V. inside. It should have a way to cook, sleep, go to the rest room, and store food. I asked if having a bed, a portable stove, a bottle fed sink, insulated cooler, and a porta potti would suffice. She said she thought so.  If you think about it, that's all an R.V has, albeit fancier versions. ;-)

That sounds quite logical.  But some DMV's may get pickier.  Just gotta hope you don't draw Selma or Patty on a bad day........    :dodgy:

LeeRevell said:
That sounds quite logical.  But some DMV's may get pickier.  Just gotta hope you don't draw Selma or Patty on a bad day........    :dodgy:

Way back on page 1, step 1 should be to call DMV and your insurance company or agent to make sure your very, very likely to be considered a commercial vehicle project is insurable at an affordable price. A few posters did all their conversion work first and then found out that a home built rv was not very insurable. Just sayin'. "Measure twice, cut once" applies to more than construction...

Utilitariann,

You may already have resourced your New York DMV web site. I checked a couple links and included them below. First one is how to register a modified "commercial" vehicle to be classified as "Passenger" class and the requirements.

http://dmv.ny.gov/vehicle-registration/vehicle-modifications-and-registration-class

Important: The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle. (Snipped from the NY DMV web site above)

Modifications that change a registration from 'Commercial' class to 'Passenger' class
Vans (Part 106.3 (d)) - you can register a van in the 'Passenger' class if the van has
o at least one side window behind the driver
and
o at least one seat or set of seat fittings that is installed behind the driver
or
o camping equipment that is installed behind the driver.
 'camping equipment' indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle
 if this equipment is removed and you use the van, you must register the van as a commercial vehicle

http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/title-transfers.php#Vehicle-Titling-Fees-in-New-York

As mentioned by others, once armed with NY requirements for registration/title change it is certainly worth calling or better yet, stopping by your local DMV and asking them what your costs might be as well as any other suggestions they may have.
Next stop would be insurance quotes.

My bad, you were already there on page #3..... I missed your link

As a few have mentioned, every state is different and it's best to check first. Here in Colorado I have a friend that registered a Kenworth semi tractor as an RV. He used it to tote his fifth wheel and all he had to do was add a fridge and porta potty to his sleeper. If I recall they had a list of things, and you had to have 3 items off the list. He already had a bed, so he added the other 2. They don't seem to care if they are permanent here. Of course we can license dirt bikes here also by adding a light, mirror, and squeaker horn. Now before you all decide to up and change your residency to CO to take advantage of this, we also have the 3rd most expensive registration costs in the nation, and personal income tax.

Was doing research on registration and found that trailers are WAY more lenient to register @ the DMV + even with insurance so I started modeling a trailer and below is the model of that and then me starting to swap thing's I figured out with the trailer build back to the utility / cube van.

One thing I really like; the idea of 'Murphy' furniture. It's furniture that folds out of the way when you need it too.

Trailer model from birds eye view:
QRt8mgc.jpg

Trailer with 2 walls down to give a better view:
CJm6mhs.jpg

Back and front concept of trailer (before the build/model):
RiuoAYg.jpg

Murphy bed / desk combo using the corner of the trailer for bedding space and storage when folded away:
W1njzgt.jpg

All in one (dressing storage and kitchen storage) back wall:
78Dm50A.jpg

Murphy concept from the trailer model beginning to be built in the cube van model:
dIOwiSp.jpg

jvMSZB1.jpg

xUZTiHL.jpg

It's a work in progress but maybe these concepts help- might even be a decent layout for someone with trailer around 5'8"-6'x9'

Keep me posted ^^

Utilitariann said:
Was doing research on registration and found that trailers are WAY more lenient to register @ the DMV + even with insurance so I started modeling a trailer and below is the model of that and then me starting to swap thing's I figured out with the trailer build back to the utility / cube van.

One thing I really like; the idea of 'Murphy' furniture. It's furniture that folds out of the way when you need it too.

A trailer looks like the better choice all around.
Any horizontal surface tends to collect stuff on it. A "Murphy" anything is a good idea in a traveling home.

Your visuals work.