Plague in flagstaff !!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
Fleas tested positive for plague in flagstaff. Run away!! Bring out yer dead!! Just wow.

You mean you are not ready to seal yourselves off to save the world like Eyam?

That is worrisome. Just what we need, an epidemic to reduce the population. I'm being sarcastic but in some ways less population could be beneficial to the ones that remain. Especially loners and scavengers. :)
I recently read an article where scientists theorized that the Black Plague was actually the Ebola virus. Then yesterday I read that the Ebola virus is now atomized in the body, so it can be expelled and passed on with a sneeze. Scary stuff!

The plague has been present in the squirrel populations of NV, AZ and NM for as long as I can remember.

Couldn't get this without a short commercial. I bet a lot of the youngsters here have never seen this.

Thanks dragon. Loved that movie. Always will

The Plague is just not the same these days.
Ebola is only transmitted by direct contact with body fluids (all) during the very last stage, when the victim is very weak. spits fly but don't hang around so if you ain't close, you ain't close.
They did modify ebola as a test in the lab to get it air born but not in nature.

This was on the news, it's no big deal yet and probably won't be

It's not in Flagstaff! It's been found in prairie dogs in remote Coconino county. The prairie dogs are all dead but the fleas carrying the plague are still alive in their holes.

Caught early enough the plague is no big deal, antibiotics knock it out.
Bob

and next at 11..... live report from NASA official, says the sky is falling.

Okay so it's like Equine Encephalitis in the east. Or Lyme Disease. It exists, and it can be controlled with medicine.

It's not new or unusual to have plague show up in fleas of rodents or other wildlife. Hunters have contracted the disease from flea bites or from handling/skinning diseased animals and have been warned for years of this risk.

Good point Cindi. My dogs killed a squirrel, fleas vacated the squirrel at the time it died and were running up the faces of my dogs by the hundreds it seemed. No one here is trying to say the sky is falling. Things like this get posted by members who are being helpful. There are a lot of people travelling out west for the first time and knowing the lay of the land will keep them healthy and happy. I've stopped to photograph prairie dogs before but knew enough not to let my dogs out anywhere near them.

as Bob. Plague is much easier to cure than Lyme, Encephalitis, Rocky Mountain, or many other mosquito and tick transmitted, all around us.

Headed back that way. I know that millions of people love CA, but we have had enough of it. Lousy roads. Too much traffic. Too many people. We are giving Bob's advice a change and are going back to the desert..

I'm boondocking at the Grand Canyon right now and it is fantastic! I'm literally a mile from the main park entrance and just outside Tusayan, AZ.

But the Ranger drove by today so the 14 day clock started.

Big storm hitting most of the West coast tomorrow, we'll get a bunch of rain as well.

Stop by if it's along your way!
Bob

We'll be coming in on I40. Not sure what DH'S plans are. He loves Williams. We will probably be around there.

Ebola can be transmitted thru any bodily fluid at anytime, even after death of victim. That's why places with unsterile handling of dead are having problems.