Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I looked at the weather map yesterday it did not show southern Arizona being inside the major rainfall downpour of the storm track of that Pineapple Express.

Image of the predicted accumulated rainfall for the next 7 days. Quartzsite and Yuma is inside the color band of 1/2” to 1” region. But for the Van Aid location the bigger issue is going to happen on Friday from some strong gusty winds of around 30mph Get all that loose stuff outside tied down!

IMG_1337.png

Last edited:
WeatherUnderground is usually pretty accurate. Forecast doesn't look all that bad with any rain looking like showers. Await location, which I assume is near Yuma.
Forecast1.jpg

^......Huh ? ........today Yuma is expecting 0.2" of rain........that's enough to turn the desert to Pudding............Look at the radar !

Everyone is staged around Yuma awaiting a LOCATION........Prepared for hard work with valuable Tools and expensive Supplies under "tarps"......NEW Nomads stuck w/tents........HOWA starts disbursing 17 Solar Systems at a Yuma RV park today........DRY storage is always at a premium

And then Feb 6th....Start of Van Aid.....rain expected .33" YUMA

^^^^ you will all survive the storm. I went through a lot worse at my campsite near Yuma last winter when the atmospheric river showed up. That one came roaring in with 70 mph gust out of the west.

Maybe you could rent a storage garage for a few days and pull them in one at a time?Couple units parked on a large ground tarp and tarp stretched in between with arched PVC pipe tied with para cord running thru them as well tied off to the roof racks of the units? 4 vans parked in a square with a single center pole tarp roof? Magic Circle style, enjoy the rain and wait till it stops? Probably scare off most of the loafers! lol!!!

Hooking tarps overhead between vans is good for shade but not good for rain. The tarps sag, the sags fill with water. Water is heavy and the tarps tear apart from the weight and then the intended protection is gone.

Van Aid is a “pot luck” situation, you get what you get in the way of weather, help
and supplies. Not guaranteed to
meet everyone’s wants, needs and expectations.

Sunshine predicted for Friday and Saturday here in Quartzsite but it will be in the low 60s for the high temp. But a sunny 60 is as lot warmer than a wet and cloudy 60 since you can sit in the sun and get decent solar gain including free heat from the sun shining on the windows and roof.

Quartzsite Pirate Camp area is now occupied by other RVs.

Rainy afternoon. Now that January is over I am able to stream some movies again.
Did you ever notice that movie stars of all ages always sleep leaning on a pile of pillows instead of laying down nearly flat? Just got to have their face pointing at the camera. Unless of course if they are mad at the other person next to them and turn their backs to the camera. It is truly rare to see someone in a natural sleeping position lying down flat in films.

Hello, I grew up on the iron range...Grand Rapids. Where are you living/camping?
You replied to me but you must be trying to reply to NctryBen.

Last edited:
Rainy afternoon. Now that January is over I am able to stream some movies again.
Did you ever notice that movie stars of all ages always sleep leaning on a pile of pillows instead of laying down nearly flat? Just got to have their face pointing at the camera. Unless of course if they are mad at the other person next to them and turn their backs to the camera. It is truly rare to see someone in a natural sleeping position lying down flat in films.
Maki, thx for the correction. I will try again. Dan

I continue to like the current 10 day forecast for Yuma, and what I assume will be the Van Aid location.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/az/yuma

Tuesday, 2/6 has light rain with about 1/4" spread out over many hours, maybe just right to keep dust down.
https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/az/yuma/date/2024-2-6
Even n light rain getting materials wet can be an issue. Especially if you are painting on finishes or applying sealants that require dry conditions for application and cure time. It is not just the rain, the wind gust blows stuff all over the place. Working on build projects in the desert can be bliss or it can be very challenging. Storms here can bring rain or gust but often bring both at the same time.

There is another issue for the weather in Yuma on Monday and Tuesday. There might not be heavy rain but there is a prediction for 90% sky cover all day long. Not what one wants when you are in need of extra solar energy for charging house batteries, charging power tools and devices. But at least it is not going to be too cold or too hot. Work will get done and fun will be had.

I got BANNED from Reditt......The guy from UK asked what you thought about his new system he Paid to get install

View attachment 35025

I was the first reply.......I said it was "UGLY"......."Too close.......Too Hot".......I violated "Community Standards"

Additional responses agreed with me but still got banned

O' well !................... 10 day vacation
The UK has a law under Section 5, makes it an offense to offend. Saying the work is UGLY could be taken as insulting or offensive. You could be arrested and be fined £1000 = $1200. I'm so glad to be living in the USA.

Maybe you could rent a storage garage for a few days and pull them in one at a time?Couple units parked on a large ground tarp and tarp stretched in between with arched PVC pipe tied with para cord running thru them as well tied off to the roof racks of the units? 4 vans parked in a square with a single center pole tarp roof? Magic Circle style, enjoy the rain and wait till it stops? Probably scare off most of the loafers! lol!!!
Wow, 4 vans parked in a square, great idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts