Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like a Blind man describing an Elephant............

I finally got the drawers finished to replace 4 plastic bins......Nice plywood boxes that fit the existing shelves

I trimmed them with small strips of walnut to cover the plywood edges......Two of the drawers have recessed fronts ....a "front porch" if you will.............the left space is a spice rack...........the right space is my phone dock

The final trim/handle is a slice of Red Cedar.......I carry "walking stick" blanks from Florida..........Using the table saw I split the stick in half lengthwise to expose the RED heartwood...........then cut thin slices to form handles

Pretty and Functional.............SEE ?...............Arrrrrgh!

I feel like a Blind man describing an Elephant............

I finally got the drawers finished to replace 4 plastic bins......Nice plywood boxes that fit the existing shelves

I trimmed them with small strips of walnut to cover the plywood edges......Two of the drawers have recessed fronts ....a "front porch" if you will.............the left space is a spice rack...........the right space is my phone dock

The final trim/handle is a slice of Red Cedar.......I carry "walking stick" blanks from Florida..........Using the table saw I split the stick in half lengthwise to expose the RED heartwood...........then cut thin slices to form handles

Pretty and Functional.............SEE ?...............Arrrrrgh!
Why no photo?

Maki2, when you look at that picture of your car, do you also notice the right rear tire looks a bit out of camber?

It might just be the angle of the terrain it's parked on...or maybe the back is loaded heavy.

Just something I noticed as I admired the pictures. And by the way the red UV cover looks good!

Crack is loaded
Maki2, when you look at that picture of your car, do you also notice the right rear tire looks a bit out of camber?

It might just be the angle of the terrain it's parked on...or maybe the back is loaded heavy.

Just something I noticed as I admired the pictures. And by the way the red UV cover looks good!
It is missing the counter balance weight in the front end 🙃

Wow, no kidding TX… she must have had cheap help putting in the spring stiffeners… pretty cool shot Maki!

With the cloudy weather this week I did not notice until tonight that the moon is less than 24 hours away from being a full moon. That happens mid morning January 25 and this one is officially known as the ”Wolf Moon”.

It is the first full moon of 2024! The night should not be too cold or too windy for a campfire,🔥

Last edited:
You know it's the Big Tent Days in Quartzsite when the DUMP STATION line is Hours long wait

Where's our new dump station........................"two weeks"

Sunday is the last day of the big tent show! Hooray, a lot less traffic and shorter lines for all kinds of stuff.

Van Aid is now less than two weeks away.

Last edited:
That Tyson Wells dump station was completed for construction a full year ago! It is unknown why it has never been opened for use.

I know that new water fill station is fully functional because I saw a crew flushing the main line faucet in November. So the hold up is not a lack of water.

What is also odd is that 0f the 4 La Posa LTVAs only Tyson Wells road did not get the new tar chip rock pavement treatment.

Last edited:
It is unknown why it has never been opened for use.
This is not true.
There were two wells drilled and both failed . Insufficient water means not opening the dump or fill.
..and yes they had some flow in Nov, but it wasn't enough.

^We won't be there/here........Headed to the YUMA Van Aid location to set up...........Mondayish

Dig out berms from the grader.......""That's the sound of the men working on the chain gang"" OOH-AHH

Jason's still sick with the COVID..............Feb 6th...........tick-tick-tick

Remember during the daylight hours the current Pirate camp is still being robbed of cell tower power good enough for streaming videos.

But it improved a little today as the big tent show is now officially closed! The four large RVs that were parked next to me just hit the road! I was able to open this forum!

I am hanging around until Feb 2 or so waiting on an Amazon shipment. I would have sent the order to Yuma but all the lockers were closed for new orders. So I am having the orders sent to the locker at the general store in Salome, they had plenty of space.

Or just create a drag blade to level it by getting someone to drag their hitch basket or rear bumper back and forth over the berms a few times

Not a lot done today other than shipping out Etsy orders and getting some 3M 303 Fabric guard sprayed onto the new Polyester PU coated top I made for my screen room. The underside PU coating keeps water from coming thru the top
But the PU coating on the underside does not prevent the polyester fabric upper surface from getting rain soaked or stained by blowing desert dust. So that extra step was required for extending the life of my topper. One step at a time for that project but I have quite a few more hours of labor with a sewing machine to go yet. Some of it will likely have to happen at the Van Aid Camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts