Pirate Camp Winter Season 2022-23

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when you have an egg shaped trailer portable panels are the easiest power solution and a portable unit such as a Jackery seems like a logical choice as well. But in terms of reliability they are not. However not everyone is aware of that due to not having prior experience with solar systems. But as far as RV life goes solar power and portable solar generator units are still a “relatively new” option and many people are also relatively new to the nomadic life.

^^^Okay if you add a 120 charger for the lithium battery as well you should have all the options of the commercially sold ones like the Jackery except by using components more cheaply/easily repairable. The big discussion forum argument was you could buy the more compact commercial unit cheaper and with their warranty and increased reliability they were the better buy. How much have you spent? What think you? Is it smaller than a Prius? Lol!!!
Most of it was stuff I already had from when I was planning my van build....before my van's engine decided to give up the ghost.

Reminder - Rain in the forecast over the next 36 hours.... 45% chance this eve ...

Are the chickens permanent residents or are they nomads?

I’m going to go thank her today. Those were the best eggs I’ve EVER used... I eat eggs almost everyday!
Thanks all for joining in for brunch...
Ravella... that’s some awesome bread... thank you for making it...
zoom in on the fancy design on the bread and the organic eggs packed in sawdust in the fancy ziplock... labors of love...

Attachments

• 4811CFFB-BCF7-457F-A2C4-174F76BE2696.jpeg
    4811CFFB-BCF7-457F-A2C4-174F76BE2696.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
A couple of 'pop-up' Tempest weather stations are now broadcasting the local weather conditions from Quartzsite:

https://tempestwx.com/map/89587/33.6062/-114.0052/10
This one (apparently in La Posa South across the road from the dump station) started sending data on 5 December:

https://tempestwx.com/station/89587/
And this one (directly south of Quartzsite on the west side of 95) began sending data on 10 December:

https://tempestwx.com/station/53242/
I would assume these are each mounted on an RV.

I have a Tempest station at my place and these units are typically very accurate, assuming they are placed properly.

Last edited:
My body is my weather station👍

Last edited:
Yes, but I've seen many of your posts reporting temps and winds and rain and etc...now all of us out here can get the same data that your body is reporting.....(and we don't even have to wake you up if its 3am!)

Cold Weather Snow GIF by The Weather Channel

I haven't looked on my roof for objects yet, something WHOMPED in my rig early this AM... like a large bird colliding with the RV.... or maybe some stressed member popped a weld or other breakage... it wasn't a smack as much as it was a thud/thump.... like someone walking by gave it a good smack..... 🤔
😲👽
Someone from the ninja camp resents the pirate camp...

Yes I do get weather reports for possible future weather events from NOAA. I look at that for planning activities such as changing locations on longer road trips. Or going to town on errands without getting soaking wet. Or if it is likely to be too windy to want to have shade cloth deployed.

But weather stations are not a lot of use for predicting weather other than being able to see changes in barometric pressure. They are more about recoding past events or looking at current conditions.

Weather station watching is a fine hobby to have, just not a hobby that holds a lot of interest to me.

I sure do wish the prediction that in this area of the Southwest it was going to be a warmer winter than normal would start becoming true! But I accept the fact that it not being true has meant the snow packs in the Rocky Mountains and Cascade range are building up nicely. That itself is a very important weather event.

Maki, did you actually click on the tempest links? Each weather station has a very localized weather forecast for the next several days, at THAT location.

This is all done with a huge amount of aggregated data...and oh yeah, a crystal ball and a magic wand...all I know is that its pretty accurate.

~
Fire in the Sky tonight.
Rocks and air to fight.
..and to be fair, we root for the air,
for if it loses, so all of us might.

Someone from the ninja camp resents the pirate camp...

I did find a massive bird turd up there.... so my hypothesis, and I am sticking to it, is on that night, a big bird mistook the roof for water, misjudged the landing, WHOMPED into the roof... sat there dazed for a bit, took a shit, and flew off.. ;)

...and... dinner round the fire pit at 4... Chip and Louise ( shoulder injury) is making a pork roast, bring sides/dessert/chair/winter gear/sleds/tikki torches and appetite.

You Early Riser could be in for a treat at 4:46 am Thursday morning.. .

Launch time: 1146:40 GMT (6:46:40 a.m. EST; 3:46:40 a.m. PST)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Surface Water and Ocean Topography mission for NASA. SWOT is a science mission jointly developed by NASA and CNES, the French space agency, to measure how much water is in Earth’s oceans, lakes, and rivers. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will return to Landing Zone 4 at Vandenberg Space Force Base. Delayed from Dec. 12. [Nov. 30]

I survived enough good times at Vandenberg AFB in the early 1970’s on a launch crew. Lol!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.