PIRATE CAMP '24-25....................Desert SouthWest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was correct - it really hurt today. Oh well. But I am getting around a bit better, in spite of the pain so that is very good indeed. I can bear my weight on my right ankle, so that means she only needs to spot me when I move to and from the wheelchair, and not lift me. She got out for a few hours today, took a walk at Fort Clatsop. Apparently it’s a pretty nice day out there…

Without Carole around to do the nursey things like pile up pillows and ice packs I’d be in real trouble. Turns out one of the women who works in the motel front office here has also done some nursing, so they have bonded a little. All in all, for a painful, literally lame kind of day - it was not terrible!
Glad you are feeling at least a little better today. Your very own private duty nurse? That is a real blessing for a nomad in a medical crisis 🥳

Brian of Pirate camp will be showing up at Pirate camp this season recovering from his knee surgery! Here is hoping that surgery gets him more mobile and in a lot less pain.

I got some cool news Today..............

When I left Orlando 7 years ago I donated a huge collection of Negatives of Orlando from my business to the Orange County Regional History Center...........This year a curator has started to Digitize my donation of 250,000 negatives

The State of Florida has eliminated all funding to the Arts this year.......SO the Center has produced a 2025 calendar of my studio's OLD images as a fundraiser............After 50 years in business I was the last studio owner with Copyright and Negatives.

The History Center especially liked the 1960's images when I was still a child in New York ! I saved all these images from their cardboard tombs in the back of the studio. No one ever looked at the Old stuff stacked on the floor. The studio had 9 photographers at one point !

Here's a photo and text from the press release

1728494855433.png

""Let’s help the HSCF and share some cool history together! To highlight the valuable work that may not proceed without additional resources, we have created a 2025 calendar using images from the collection of Esquire Photographers, showing some amazing visions of Central Florida from the last century. This impressive collection was gifted to us by Esquire Photographer Doug Seibert in 2018 and will be an invaluable resource for researchers and photography enthusiasts as well as lovers of Central Florida history. But we have only scratched the surface of what may lie within. Without your support, these images will lay fallow and undiscovered as we will not have the resources to scan and catalog them. We are asking for a donation of $30.00 (more is always appreciated) in order to receive one of these gorgeous full-color 2025 calendars that give a glimpse into our region’s past, and serve as a reminder of what the future can be if we are able to achieve our mission of preserving and sharing Central Florida’s continually unfolding story.""

I'm stoked............................Arrrrrrgh

Last edited:
WOW. That is really something!
Our very own captain being a calendar guy!
Stupid jokes aside ….that is really great thing to have done and a great way to use those photo archives to help preserve even more of them.

^ It wasn't all Noble......I tried for years to capitalize on the collection......I specialized in aerial photography.....added to the OLD aerial photos I tried to sell "Forty years over ORLANDO"

It never happened and now I live in my VAN..........Thanks...........more images to come

Very cool!!

And with Hurricane Milton heading towards Florida as I type this, physical archives of this rarity and value are at risk.

Thanks for sharing!

BTW as a ham operator I am monitoring what we call Hurricane Nets. That's a network of hams both within the state and in other states, ready to pass health and welfare traffic and reports of storm damage.

Standing by.