PIRATE CAMP '24-25....................Desert SouthWest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You actually have treasure to bury?

I am thinking the closest you come to it are those silver Klondike Bars you keep in your Pirate Chest otherwise known as a Freezer. At least sometimes you do distribute those silver bars to the Pirate Crew members the way a decent captain should! Shiver me timber’s!

So here we are full circle...no pun intended.

Starlink service, ROAM 50GB.

I paid $35 to get this thing restarted.

This confirms that the Gen2 dish will work on the new ROAM 50GB plan.

This dish has been sitting indoors, unused, since April of 2022, so it had no current updates and it did take a bit longer to get it going, due to being way behind with updates.

I notice the new Starlink app has changed quite a bit, and has several new features including 'Sleep Mode' and 'Tilt Mode'.

This may get some occasional use but its not gonna be a full time solution, the only reason I bought back into Starlink was because they now offer this low price and the ability to pause service.

Also, the reason I'm providing this information in this thread is because we might have a few members out there in the Quartzsite area who might be interested in getting an older gen2 back in service.

This is evidence it can be done.

(After a few days I will move this post to the starlink thread, if I can find it)

Attachments

• screenshot-starlink-data.jpeg
    screenshot-starlink-data.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240919-212437.jpg
    Screenshot_20240919-212437.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240919_141628.jpg
    IMG_20240919_141628.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240919-193836.jpg
    Screenshot_20240919-193836.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
^ Starlink is a game changer...............We have had service EVERYWHERE we have traveled this Summer..........many of those spots have been a "dead zone" for us in the past.........Even in the Trees.........I'm sure we'll have the same good service in Quartzsite this Winter

I Know..........We don't NEED this level of connectivity but we WANT it and can afford Starlink.....Arrrgggggh

With how crowded and slow the internet in the La Posa South area it just about is a need if you have a need to be online. Of course there is also a want and for some older persons who can’t get out hiking and running around or risk exposure to various illnesses from the crowds in the town of Quartzsite then even the entertainment it provides can be a combined mental and physical health benefit. I have aging friends who got starlink for that very reason.

This Summer I had some troubles with my Solar collection/storage.......I had just installed a single 300 Ah battery in Quartzsite.......Then our Summer in the forest left me short on solar........I even bought a second 5 gal gas can for my HONDA

Now back in the treeless Nevada desert.....NO Problems.....SUN !

We are in a huge agricultural valley.............gorgeous swaths of green or red salad greens..........uprooted ONIONS drying in the Sun as far as you can see................HUGE implements sharing the road.........IRRIGATION !.......Yerington NV

Soon we'll continue South thru Nevada

This Summer I had some troubles with my Solar collection/storage.......I had just installed a single 300 Ah battery in Quartzsite.......Then our Summer in the forest left me short on solar........I even bought a second 5 gal gas can for my HONDA

Now back in the treeless Nevada desert.....NO Problems.....SUN !

We are in a huge agricultural valley.............gorgeous swaths of green or red salad greens..........uprooted ONIONS drying in the Sun as far as you can see................HUGE implements sharing the road.........IRRIGATION !.......Yerington NV

Soon we'll continue South thru Nevada
I hesitate to get a new lifepo4 battery as I have limited space on my roof for solar panels. But for now I am doing OK with what I have to meet my basic setup. When my very good quality marine AGM battery ages out I will make the switch to lithium and a somewhat larger single panel and solar controller. But it still will have to remain a modest sized electrical power supply due to space limitations.

No Starlink for me at night on my current power setup, not even the mini version. Not that I have a spare $600 to invest in a Starlink mini panel. Perhaps I should start buying lottery tickets or get a real job 🤣

Last edited:
I hesitate to get a new lifepo4 battery as I have limited space on my roof for solar panels. But for now I am doing OK with what I have to meet my basic setup. When my very good quality marine AGM battery ages out I will make the switch to lithium and a somewhat larger single panel and solar controller. But it still will have to remain a modest sized electrical power supply due to space limitations.

No Starlink for me at night on my current power setup, not even the mini version. Not that I have a spare $600 to invest in a Starlink mini panel. Perhaps I should start buying lottery tickets or get a real job 🤣
My old Optima AGM which I never let go below 75% charge is still going after 13 years it may have lost some capacity but still runs my pump to empty my black tank a couple times a week with just a 100 watt Renology portable solar panel to charge it that is several years old. I’m beginning to think they will outlast me!

My old Optima AGM which I never let go below 75% charge is still going after 13 years it may have lost some capacity but still runs my pump to empty my black tank a couple times a week with just a 100 watt Renology portable solar panel to charge it that is several years old. I’m beginning to think they will outlast me!
Mine was bought 5 years ago but not put in use until a little over 4 years ago. Still going strong and it only went to 50% briefly one time when I was starting my diesel heater on a very cold morning. So not a true drop down to 50%. The heater just pulls extra amps for a couple of minutes for the glow plug.