Pie Iron?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdventurousAdriana

Reaction score
Howdy folks, 

Have any of y'all ever used a pie iron?  I just found one in my parents closet that they've never used and I'm thinking about taking it on the road with me.  Any recipe suggestions?  Is it worth the space?  I do love campfire cooking and this utensil seems intriguing...

It looks like this:
pie iron.JPG

Attachments

• pie iron.JPG
    pie iron.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 20
I enjoy my pie irons but want to find a nicer set. Mine are thin and round making it hard to find bread to fit.

You can put just about anything in them that you would a hotpocket. Basics like fruit pies, ham and cheese, pizza fixings are quick and easy. You can use your imagination but I would not put uncooked meat in them. The bread would be char before it cooked.

Always called them a jaffle iron, and yes wonderful, mainstay of campfire living off the grid

Ah memories.

My mom had one that was round and she made what she called 'flying saucers', over the stove, which were just round grilled cheese sandwiches.

The little bits of cheese and bread that squeezed out and got all crispy were the best part!

Bits of smoked sausage ham or salami, onion, relish, different sauces or spice flavors

Then for dessert, nutella, jam, banana & honey, I guess marshmallow or peanut butter for Americans

infinite variety!

Used to use one all the time!

They are pretty great with all the different things you can stuff in there. It contributed a LOT to my grilled cheese sandwich addiction though.  One day at a time you know..........

;)

What a wonderful gizmo! I'll have to keep an eye out for one!

They are interesting to use.  I had one for a few years long ago.
Think of it as the original hot pocket maker.
Recipe wise make sure everything you put into your little pie is already cooked.  The insides will get hot but not enough to cook raw meat and such.
As for what to put into the inside - let your imagination run wild
  • All canned pie fillings work very well.
  • Grilled cheese - of course
  • Pizza Pie - pizza sauce, cheese, whatever toppings you like. Don't overfill it though
  • Quesadialla
  • Burrito fillings
  • Philly cheese steak - sliced beef, cheese, and maybe onion, mushrooms
  • Sloppy Joe
  • Campfire cuban
  • Pasty - cooked veggies, cooked ground meat, a spot of gravy
  • Chicken with: tomato sauce or ranch, or cheese sauce, or with a slice of ham and cheese (campfire cordon bleu)
PM me if you want more ideas.  I dont want to write a book in your thread.

I have a double Jaffle maker because one is never enough. I drilled the hinge and put in a better and close fitting pin to the two halves fit together better and create a more efficient seal around the edges.

My tips - use oversize bread and trim off excess before going on the heat. Second one, egg and a tiny bit of cheese in the middle and bacon on top of the bread so the bacon is in contact with the cast iron. Bacon gets a bit of colour that way instead of steaming inside the Jaffle.

Ticklebellly said:
My tips - use oversize bread and trim off excess before going on the heat.   Second one, egg and a tiny bit of cheese in the middle and bacon on top of the bread so the bacon is in contact with the cast iron.   Bacon gets a bit of colour that way instead of steaming inside the Jaffle.

Yummm. That sounds like a great breakfast pie  :p