Pickled eggs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
If you lived around me you could buy just one egg to try out from a big jar at a convenience store or greasy spoon. Would go good with a fried 'baloney' sandwich!
That would be ideal. I think they want about $25 a jar out here. Would be better to try first, but they don't give free samples. :p

I still make beet pickled eggs on a regular basis. They are great and an easy way to get some protein. I always keep my in the fridge. Any idea how long they would last out in the open or in the heat of a car or van?

I have never brought them on a camping trip since I when I bring them to a picnic where I live people poke them trying to figure out what they are.

In regards to pickled eggs a couple of years ago my son raised some quail and they were prolific layers.  My daughter in law was kind enough to boil hundreds of these little eggs, peel them and pickle them.  These were bite size pieces of goodness.  Knowing my penchant for all things spicy she added some jalapenos to several quarts I was gifted.  Her recipe sounded similar to the one mentioned with onions and carrots as well as the jalapenos.   These were the best snack I can remember.  She also made deviled eggs out of quail eggs one Thanksgiving.  Same thing just pop one in your mouth.  I think about 3 dozen.  I think I ate over a dozen before dinner and finished them off for desert.

Like others have mentioned they used to sit on the bars in NM and after about 2 beers I would start getting an egg with each beer.  My wife would try and discourage me and as other mentioned it would be a memorable ride home and my wife would keep the windows down even in the dead of winter.  Ken

grandpacamper said:
Pioneers coming out West suffered many hardships, but one of their mainstay sources of food was anything they could pickle. 

Different methods of preserving food were once common knowledge.

Pickling, salting, ferments, and drying are all effective in preserving nutritional value.

Of course fresh is best, but variety is the spice of life !

If you wish to be a foodie while boondocking, foraging can be a wonderful method of improving your diet.

Best, wheels

Love love love pickled eggs. A touch of salt and a healthy sprinkling of black pepper.. mmm mmmm mmmmmmm

I'll be sure to pickle a big bunch of eggs for the RTR.................

We'll have a taste-testing at happy hour.....................I'll be in the white van ........................doug