Pickled eggs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpacamper

Reaction score
Pioneers coming out West suffered many hardships, but one of their mainstay sources of food was anything they could pickle.  I eat a lot of eggs, never has bothered my cholesterol count as I can tell.  My CBC is right in line with what the doctor wants for a man of my age.  My blood pressure is normal albeit I do take a BP pill daily.  My BMI is normal (24).  I mentioned about going to Cash n Carry a few days ago.  I was there yesterday buying coffee.  As I walked along I discovered that they had pickled eggs.  I LOVE PICKLED EGGS!  

I used to make them in a large container many years ago.  I bought a bottle of 20.  I was planning to take a few eggs along on my treks, but the idea to carry pickled eggs solved the problem of spoilage or breakage.  I get my protein & breakfast with a few eggs, coffee & string cheese.  I don't eat hash browns, shy away from too much meat & never eat bread products.  

That opened up a whole new line of edibiles, pickled beets, anytype pickle,,,etc, add to the acceptable snack food (pork rinds) I'll be set.  Can't say I will be adding any pickled pigs feet anytime soon.  I may experiment with making my own eggs later but for now the convienence of getting a bottle for my trips is high on my to-do list.

I love just about anything pickled (although the pigs feet I would try..just doesn't sound good lol) I have never tried the eggs but reading your post made me want to actively look for them. I absolutely love the pickled sausages!

I love pickled food too, added bonus... it's good for your tummy health!

I've pickled and canned most of my life too.  It's a great way of putting food by as we do it here in Appalachia.

Vinegar has long been known for it's health benefits.  I even make my own vinegar from apple cider and have
made white vinegar and flavored it with herbs.

Some of my favorite books are those  by Emily Thacker.

The Vinegar Book 1, 2, and Vinegar Formula Guide.

51G6zXeXrFL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I love pickled eggs myself,  like dipping them in left over pickled beet juice to stain them purple.

I try to put out a packet of Cucumbers (National Pickling variety) each spring and make refrigerator pickles,
then later plant Detroit Red Beets to pickle for later.   Jerusalem Artichokes pickle real nice too.

Mmmmm...pickled eggs with my beer! On a side note with eggs, I don't refrig my eggs and don't worry about keeping them for 2 weeks that way. Haven't had a problem in 6+ years of doing that. Back to pickled eggs...Mmmmmm!

I like to take lert over pickle juce add a cut up onion and let sit for a few days they are not as strng.

My father used to pay his bar tab that way.  Gallon jars of pickled eggs.  (We raised chickens)  

Vinegar, sugar, bay, various spices, beet juice, with or without the beets ~~~ Pickle juice, with or without pickles.  Every batch a little different  That is how he kept people hooked. 

I know what I am doing later.   :cool:

:) I like pickled eggs too.  Eggs are really cheap right now here where I live.. Papa used to buy the small jars of Hormel pickled pig feet.  We would eat them cold from the frig with saltines and sliced red rind "rat" cheese.  I'm the only one in the family that eats them now.  Also mild flavored sliced souse, sliced in squares and layered in a small bowl with clear pepper sauce sprinkled on each layer.  Cheese and crackers are good with it too Yum Yum!  Cold sliced sweet onions with anything pickled :)

I have a warning about Pickled Sausages   
:huh: Do Not Under Any Circumstances Eat Them While Drinking { a lot } of Apricot Brandy :huh: 
         That should be a warning on the label somewhere.  Don't ask, I ain't a goin' there!

Jewellann

I haven't seen pickled eggs in years(actually never looked for them) but in my drinking days they were at every Texas Beer Bar ( way back when you could not buy liquor by the drink in Texas) had a huge jar of pickled eggs. They did a fine job of making you thirsty for that next beer.

Rob

All this talk about pickled eggs, starting in a thread by grandpacamper's "not a prepper" thread made me want some too. It was mentioned in that thread you could find them at Cash n Carry. Haven't been there yet, but did find them in packages of a dozen in the deli at Winco. I just dumped them into a Tupperware container juice and all. I find them to be good when you are in a hurry, and just need a quick bite.
Thanks for the idea grandpacamper. :)

Ballenxj, you mentioned Tupperware. I'm no expert by a mile, I buy Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, drink a Tbsp (+water) before each meal. I've noticed that all vinegars (hence the eggs) come in a glass bottle. Is this because of the possible caustic reactions that vinegar could have on the plastic bottles? BPA problems.

grandpacamper said:
Ballenxj, you mentioned Tupperware.  I'm no expert by a mile, I buy Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, drink a Tbsp (+water) before each meal.  I've noticed that all vinegars (hence the eggs) come in a glass bottle.  Is this because of the possible caustic reactions that vinegar could have on the plastic bottles?  BPA problems.
That's a good point, and I'm going to see if I can find any information about that. The pickled eggs did come in a plastic bag, so I would think it would be OK?

Ballenxj said:
That's a good point, and I'm going to see if I can find any information about that. The pickled eggs did come in a plastic bag, so I would think it would be OK?

I use vinegar in my laundry, the stuff I buy comes in half gallon plastic jugs, so plastic seems okay.

Good thoughts, I'm of the school of doubt now that the FDA among others are reversing their advice about nutritional values in food. What's good for you, what's not. Are GMOs safe? Who's to say. When I was researching advice for my diabetes there were so many sides & questionable advice I started charting every that went into my body. Found that things they claimed controlled BS didn't work on me. Even the testing equipment came into question. I was prescribed the top of line (most expensive) insulin but found out that I could get the same control with a heck of a lot less expense using insulin that had been on the market for over 60 years & didn't need a prescription. Haven't hit the dough nut hole in 2 years.

I questioned my PC, he said he couldn't see any problems so give it a try. Been working great for the last 20 months. I found that anything processed was garbage for a diabetic. I couldn't eat some fruits because of the spikes. Even the prescription I was taking to supplement my treatment is now in question, in fact they've outlawed it in Europe. It's all a crap shoot & you have to find out how your body will react to anything. The other day I read an article about the dangers of coconut oil, although I never jumped on that band wagon. Multi vitamins are a waste of time. Still take one a day. Still have excellent blood counts. I remember the warning about saturated fat back in the 50's my father refused to give up his butter, lived to be 94, smoked 2 packs a day, ate anything as long as you covered it in chocolate. Died of a perforated bowel, after a fall.

I hear you G-Pa, we stopped eating processed foods, drinking soda pop, taking a lot of supplements, years ago. We're mid-late 50's and I'm plump, but we both have normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar, normal cholesterol, and mostly feel fine other than occasional orthopedic stuff. Whole natural foods, get some decent sleep at night, try not to spend time worrying... all makes for a healthier happier person.

Been thinking - as a diabetic Asperger existing on a spartan diet limits my meals to basic needs. I have always found that fresh vegetables can & do upset my digestion along with too much red meat. I only drink coffee or water, no sodas, fruity drinks or alcohol. That in itself reduces my need for storage. For breakfast I have been eating a bowl of grains, brown rice, rolled oats, steel cut oats, pearled barley, flaxseed, almond flour & cinnamon. I never use sweeteners of any kind. I have my French Press for my coffee, eliminating the need for filters. The serving portion is soaked over night, of course the rice would be precooked but all the other ingredients are premixed, stored dry.

Here's where my thinking has led me. For lunch & dinner I can make a stew/hash/soup whatever you want to call it, divide it in half & eat the same fare for both meals. The mix would consist of either pulled pork, turkey or chicken. You can buy cans of those at Costco. Yes they have sodium but it's almost impossible to avoid that. Dump the entire contents of your choice in a sauce pan, add dehydrated onions & garlic, stir in more of the precooked brown rice, bell peppers, celery, baby carrots, can of low sodium beans, broccoli, angel hair cabbage & riced cauliflower.

Each day I could have a different meat but the main ingredients would pretty much stay constant & beneficial for glucose levels. The meats have no carbs, but have B12 & protein. The only items that would require refrigeration are the insulin, the left overs (less than 6 hours), rice, my 1/2 n 1/2 & a few of the fresh vegetables. A cooler filled with ice would probably serve that purpose. After my evening injection I would have 2 of my pickled eggs, for protein when taking insulin. I have pointed out that redundant meals are something I have done for years. Never bothers me, my wife needs the variety. I've also learned since my hospitalization that one should eat to live & not live to eat.

grandpacamper said:
Been thinking - as a diabetic Asperger existing on a spartan diet limits my meals to basic needs.  
<----snip---->
  I've also learned since my hospitalization that one should eat to live & not live to eat.

I like reading about how other folk simplify their meals while making preparation easier. Gives me lots of useful ideas. :)

The EPA doesn't care about pickled eggs and cheap beer.

I like to make pickled foods too. I've done both brine fermentation pickles and brine pickles.

Recently I tried brine fermented sauerkraut from premade coleslaw mix. It worked!

I was worried that there wouldn't be enough of the good bacteria around but there were and it fermented just fine.