Physical help with conversion in Austin, TX

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
Thank you to those who have provided me so much feedback so far.  It has helped me with bouncing ideas and realizing what I can do with what I have.

Due to cost, time to travel to check out vehicles and travel limitations of my current (pathetic and on the way out) Toyota, converting a van myself seems best. I wanted a high top but that will have to come later. Right now I need to focus on what I can do and how to get it done.

I had back surgery last year and am doing really well and about 80% recovered. But my muscles are weak still and I'm restarting PT this week. I can't afford to live where I am past mid-March or I risk eating into the money I have for this. And renting as I am right now even with 2 roommates isn't sustainable on SSD. I'll be working again later this year, just not quite yet.

Does anyone have any idea how to connect with other van lifers in the Austin TX area who wouldn't mind helping with the physical labor of the conversion in exchange for slices of pizza or a humble monetary payment for work? I would pay for all products and tools needed. I just need the physical help. And if there is anything I can help with your van that I'm able to do, I am more than willing.

Kim

Hello Kim

I sure hope you find the help you need.  I know that back surgery is lurking in my future as I have multilevel Degenerative Disk Disease in my neck that was finally dignosed after my complaining of pain in my neck and of headaches for months to my DR. and NP.  I also have it in my spine plus a lot of old body injuries that have come home to roost in the past few years.

This is just a suggestion. 
 Perhaps if you tell folks about what you are needing in a van build it would help them to know if they can lend a hand.
Do you plan on boondocking a lot?  Do you need/want solar?  What do you need elec for?  TV, frig, lights, laptop, sewing machine, reading, Cpap machine etc.  What size and what type bed do you need?  Bed size and type can also depend on the size of the vehicle. What about bathroom facilities?   Showers? 

There are many conversions on You Tube.  Also many here with pictures.  Some very funtional and inexpensive, some not so much.  Many members here have "build" threads.  2 that I think of off hand are VanLifeCrisis.  He outlines 2 quick and inexpensive builds.  Also Buster My Service Dog aka Dean and Buster

I've been trying to downsize and become at least semi-nomadic for 2ys.  In that time my strength and health have gone down hill.  I've also changed vehicles and TT in the last year.  

I've decided that "STUFF" has secret lives and they procreate too :huh:  After 2ys I still have too much "STUFF" and that's what brings me to that conclusion.

Good Luck

Jewellann

I only wish I could help. Being in Vancouver, WA I'm a tad far away.

One question I do have. There's used vans like the Chrysler T&C and Honda and others with 3rd row seating. Could you go with one of them, pitch the seats and lay in the back? Or is that to hard on the back? That would get you a start, let you relax for a bit then let you look around and see what is out there and by then maybe gain some helpers....

[quote pid='366574' dateline='1517033974']
This is just a suggestion. 
 Perhaps if you tell folks about what you are needing in a van build it would help them to know if they can lend a hand.
Do you plan on boondocking a lot?  Do you need/want solar?  What do you need elec for?  TV, frig, lights, laptop, sewing machine, reading, Cpap machine etc.  What size and what type bed do you need?  Bed size and type can also depend on the size of the vehicle. What about bathroom facilities?   Showers? 

There are many conversions on You Tube.  Also many here with pictures.  Some very funtional and inexpensive, some not so much.  Many members here have "build" threads.  2 that I think of off hand are VanLifeCrisis.  He outlines 2 quick and inexpensive builds.  Also Buster My Service Dog aka Dean and Buster

[/quote]

Good luck with surgery. I know it can be scare but sometimes necessary.

I need help with physically installing insulation, the wall and floor, building out a bed and maybe help with modifying stuff I find to fit in the van in order to cut down on the work. I would also need help with solar and electricity as I want to get a small rv fridge.

I've seen many videos on youtube but I'm not familiar with VanLifeCrisis. Is that on here or youtube?

Wanderer said:
I only wish I could help. Being in Vancouver, WA I'm a tad far away.

One question I do have. There's used vans like the Chrysler T&C and Honda and others with 3rd row seating. Could you go with one of them, pitch the seats and lay in the back? Or is that to hard on the back? That would get you a start, let you relax for a bit then let you look around and see what is out there and by then maybe gain some helpers....

Thanks for the tip on the conversion van but something tells me that that would be even more confining and uncomfortable in the end. I might just end up doing a quick and dirty cargo van conversion and adding more to is as I go.

kimkelb89 said:
Thanks for the tip on the conversion van but something tells me that that would be even more confining and uncomfortable in the end. I might just end up doing a quick and dirty cargo van conversion and adding more to is as I go.

That really might be your best option. Start now, build slow.

kimkelb89 said:
I need help with physically installing insulation, the wall and floor, building out a bed and maybe help with modifying stuff I find to fit in the van in order to cut down on the work. I would also need help with solar and electricity as I want to get a small rv fridge.

I've seen many videos on youtube but I'm not familiar with VanLifeCrisis. Is that on here or youtube?

http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2015/09/the-320-1-hour-van-conversion.html

You need to consider the space that you will need for any physical therapy exercises that you will need to do for your back issues. I wouldn't do too much until you have gone through PT.

I'm east of you near Conroe, TX. I am a nomad full time rv'er. I have a work contract that I have to go to next week in LA. I don't think I will be back before March to Texas. But if the stars align and there is a rv park etc near you that I can park my 37 ft 5th wheel camper I'll be more than happy to donate my time. I'm working to downsize to van/bus/shuttle etc this year. Helping you will help me get some practice before building mine. I have "most" of the skills and "most" of the knowledge to do it..tools too. I'll stay in touch. Send me PM. My Best friend lives on Lake Somerville. Do you have the facilities there to build it? If not I have extended family in Gatesville too or can work that out. Have you gotten a material list etc together? There is lots of pre-planning your can do. Once you do some more research you'll need to have a really good idea of what you want and need material wise. If I get the chance to come up there the only thing limited will be time. That goes with anyone that might step up to help. TTYL Kim and Texas Neighbor !! #BeABlessing

RepublicOfTXPatriot said:
I'm east of you near Conroe, TX. I am a nomad full time rv'er. I have a work contract that I have to go to next week in LA. I don't think I will be back before March to Texas. But if the stars align and there is a rv park etc near you that I can park my 37 ft 5th wheel camper I'll be more than happy to donate my time. I'm working to downsize to van/bus/shuttle etc this year. Helping you will help me get some practice before building mine. I have "most" of the skills and "most" of the knowledge to do it..tools too. I'll stay in touch. Send me PM. My Best friend lives on Lake Somerville. Do you have the facilities there to build it? If not I have extended family in Gatesville too or can work that out. Have you gotten a material list etc together? There is lots of pre-planning your can do. Once you do some more research you'll need to have a really good idea of what you want and need material wise. If I get the chance to come up there the only thing limited will be time. That goes with anyone that might step up to help. TTYL Kim and Texas Neighbor !! #BeABlessing

Thank you for the offer neighbor! :) I will be doing it at my house where I rent atm. I have a material list but I think it will change again when I know exactly what van I will get. I was told there are high top conversion vans and if i get lucky, I'll grab one of them. That may cut down on some of the interior work. I will have to buy by the end of Feb. I really shouldn't wait that long so I'm hoping I'll get lucky and find one like that.

:) Kim I sure hope you are able to find the van you need.
  My 1998 Safari conversion hightop has what's called a TV or midroof hightop.  I'm 5ft 5in and can almost stand completely up straight in the center part of the cargo area.  After a year I've learned to duck going into and out of the side door and also coming from and going back into the driver/front passenger area. 
Those "bang your head on a van" headaches are killers :huh:

Jewellann