Petrified wood

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
i understand taking samples is not cool,does anyone know of a spot ? I am coming from the”left coast” and dont wanna piss anyone off especially rangers thanks.

Wagoneer nearby the petrified forest there is a woman that lives a few miles from there. I can research more if you want to go there. John and I stopped at her place and you can buy a bucket full for around $30. You pick.

You should probably do a little research, especially if living in a small space. Petrified wood in most cases emits radiation, in other words it is radio active, and can be harmful to you if you are exposed for long periods of time. This coming from a guy that checked for cracks in nuclear warheads with his hand and got cancer at 45 years old! Lol!!! There is quite a bit on BLM lands and most areas you can collect up to a 5 gallon bucket off the ground but check with the local office first and stay off mining claims.

I found a couple of good sized chunks of petrified wood in a river somewhere in Wyoming a few years back.

It’s very distinctive in the water, and once you’ve found a few you can spot them pretty easily.

I’m a rockhound, trained diamond grader and (amateur) metalsmith and my BA was Anthology so it always makes me laugh when I travel (Arizona and Hawaii stick out in my mind) and park rangers and tour guides tell “ancient” tales of how the local people say you will be cursed if you take rocks from an area. In “ancient” times no one was stealing rocks.

They make it up to scare people out of denuding an area.I love to collect rocks and minerals, shells etc but I understand if several million people do it each year there will be nothing left. I always ask which areas I am allowed to take a rock or two (no more) or I contact a local gem and mineral club . They often have access to offline mines and will often give you a piece of something as a gift. Just buy some local petrified wood or bring a gift to exchange. Quartzite makes my blood boil. Their prices have been ridiculous for 35 years when I first passed through and the quality is the same junky dyed often Chinese fake garbage as everywhere.

Make sure the person who sells it to you knows what they’re selling and read up on real and fake petrified wood. It’s beautiful in jewelry but I didn’t know that radioactive part. Will have to look that up. Interesting.

LERCA I love finding rocks although I haven’t a clue usually about what I’m picking up. If it’s interesting or pretty I grab it. I did join the rock club in Quartzsite and learned to cut and make cabs - sorta... have you been to Quartzsite when they have the gem and mineral show? They do have dealers coming from worldwide for that. The show will go on this year.

I went on Pinterest before our last trip to find gem stone gathering places like the state park in Ark where you get to keep any diamonds you find there are some cool places and they are now on my list of places to see. There are Opal field and amethyst places. I only just found out about these places so don't know much about them other then they showed up on my Pinterest page. That might be a place to look for things

I drove up to Thunder Bay, ON, once, and there is an old Amethyst mine close by. I picked up a bunch of them (you dig them up yourself) and then on the way out, you pay $2.00 CA per pound of rocks that you carry out.
They give you a little adze and a bucket at the entrance.

I usually go to Tucson for the gem show. Haven’t been to Quartzite for it although I used to try and buy from local dealers when I passed through. Nowadays all the gem shows pretty much source from the same places. The old days of locals digging and selling local rough seem to be over unless you can find a Gem and Mineral Society sale.
I think a lot of so called dealers don’t know what they have. It’s acceptable to dye or heat treat certain colored stones but for example I see heavily enhanced amethyst everywhere which is unnecessary and ruins the stone.
For sure if you can go to a mine and sift through it or a park site (Arkansas is famous) then do it. You’ll find treasures and real stones. That would be really fun.

"For sure if you can go to a mine and sift through it or a park site (Arkansas is famous) then do it."

Make damn sure it's legal. just because a mine looks abandoned doesn't mean you can pick up rocks, stones, gems, ore, etc.

if a mine is private property you need permission.
if a claim active you need permission
you must do your research to find out land use and ownership. DON'T ASSUME, the burden to figure it out lies on the prospector.

if you are on a claim you can camp, hike, hunt, fish, or do anything that you could legally do on the surrounding land that is not claimed. However you CANNOT even pick up a rock.

highdesertranger

I already posted all that. Go back and check. About asking local Gem and Mineral Clubs for advice and how you can’t even take rocks etc. I’m a 35 year rockhound. I know how it goes. I belong to two Gem Mineral clubs/ societies. Been allowed access to lots of closed mines as a result. But yes, there are strict rules because as I already posted if two million people a year take red rocks the area will be denuded. I do have two red rocks from Sedona from an area they said you could pick up rocks. But if you’re correcting me go back and reread. I respect the environment. And anyway you can usually get anything you want from locals.

Latest posts