Permanent deeded campsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addie

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I can't believe it's been a whole year trying to make a decision on traveling! So, I've decided that I want to be able to travel but not forever, and I'm looking in to purchasing a deeded campsite. I bought a really nice 26 ft Pioneer TT this summer and I currently have it inside a pole barn out in the country where I board my horse at. It's a very pleasant setup right now, but since I'm not too far away from retirement I would like to sell my old run down house in the spring and buy a campsite that I can always have to fall back on, should I decide to stop traveling for any reason. My little car lease is going to be up in 8 months as well, so a used van is going to replace it! I'm looking for an area south of Ohio so I can escape the snow, has anyone bought their own campsite?

I never even heard that you could buy a campsite. of course we are in two different parts of the country and your definition of a campsite might be different than mine. do you have any examples?

I would like to hear more about this, keep us up to date. highdesertranger

I have never heard of that either.

I think the closest you're going to be able to find is some land with electricity, water and septic that you can put your trailer on. Maybe add a pole barn or garage to help shelter your trailer.

At first I thought I wanted my own private land for a campsite but there isn't too many places I've found that aren't in need of hook-ups of some sort, so when I factored in the cost of either having the necessary water, sewer and electric put in or having what was there repaired, it was too much. Not to mention that I've already been told by a realtor that even if I did find the "perfect" place, you have to deal with zoning that could change AFTER you are on the property. And you will be alone. Very much alone! I like people around me, so I started searching for permanent year-round campgrounds and came across a couple that sell you a deeded lot and from what I've seen so far it seems very reasonable to pay the yearly fees once you're in. And they have a lot of perks as well. So on a fixed income I might be able to have the best of both worlds, meaning I can use my van for dwelling and travel but I will always have my year-round campground to go back to if needed. I don't know if I am allowed to post any links in this forum but if you were to Google "Year round camping with deeded sites" you might be able to find what I'm referring to.

Different terminology I suppose. That is what in some areas are called RV lots.

I bought one on the banks of the Little Sandy River in Greenup County Kentucky about 20 years ago when we first started living full time in our motorhome. It was an acre and if I remember right cost about $9,000. It was below the flood plain and flooded for a week or two most every spring. We installed a power pole, water hydrant (city water) and a large concrete pad but no septic although most of our neighbors did. When it flooded they said it was god's way of flushing. We sold it for $15,000 a few years later. Escapees has some pretty expensive to buy in options at several of their parks across the country but returns most of it when sold. I also looked at an RV lot that was a little over an acre with utilites for $55,000 in Arizona close to town. As you can see they are expensive with utilites and close to town. With yearly and monthly rents seldom over $500 a month, some options without utilites $500 a year, and free (BLM) for two weeks at a time I might only consider this option if health or family required it. For now if you want to sit for longer say 6 months we work seasonally with a furnished lot.

Our friends bought into a campground association in Pennsylvania (too cold for you :-D) several years ago. They don't actually own the lot but they do own a share in the association. They paid $20,000 for the membership and a park model trailer, which they do now own, that was on their lot.

Their dues are less than $1,000 a year with no charge for water, sewage, electricty, and trash pickup. I think the property was a Jellystone Park that went bankrupt before it was bought by the campers so it has a lot of ammenities like a pool, clubhouse, fishing pond, bathhouses, arcade room, minature golf, etc. 

The downside (besides the fact that it used to be a Jellystone Park and the trailers are packed in) is stays are limited from December 15 to March 1 to preclude trailer use as a permanent residence which would change the tax structure. Owners are also responsible for cutting their grass and are fined if it's not cut.

http://www.toursrc.com/srca_j_sale.aspx

Addie said:
...I want to be able to travel but not forever...    ...have to fall back on, should I decide to stop traveling for any reason.

Why not bank the proceeds from the house until you actually decide to stop traveling, then use it buy a place? Besides, you might discover someplace very appealing on your travels that you might not have considered before.

I can, as I'm really in no hurry right away but I definitely want to run away to a warmer area!

How far south do you wish to buy property? Winter's are nice where I am, but we roast all summer long.

Not sure, but I’m in Ohio and I’d like to go far enough to escape the snow

One good thing about RV camps that rent or sell you an actual lot are that they are legally "residences", which makes dealing with the Real ID Act a lot easier.

Addie said:
Not sure, but I’m in Ohio and I’d like to go far enough to escape the snow

Florida sure is nice in the winter.   :)

Most of the folks at CRVL live in the southwest, so I have to do my share to promote the southeast.    ;)

tonyandkaren said:
Our friends bought into a campground association in Pennsylvania (too cold for you :-D) several years ago. They don't actually own the lot but they do own a share in the association. They paid $20,000 for the membership and a park model trailer, which they do now own, that was on their lot. re golf, etc. 

In Florida, more and more trailer parks are becoming resident-owned. It used to be that you owned your trailer, but you rented the land you sat on. Alas, there was then a wave of investors who swooped in, bought the property for development, and kicked everyone out. So residents began banding together to buy the property themselves, guaranteeing that they can't lose their place to live.

Sounds to me as well, keep your money banked while you travel.

Look for inexpensive rental options, may be lots cheaper than that sort of "ownership".

Yes Zoning laws and how strictly they get enforced can change anytime.

I agree, I’m going to bank my $$, I might even change to a class B to make it easier than hauling around a TT

I started out meaning to go full-nomadic, but ended up in a central-Florida 1973 mobile home on a deeded lot for $45k plus $80 a month for water/trash/clubhouse/lawn mowing. I built-- and love-- a cargo trailer too, but I find myself traveling far less than expected. Florida is extremely nice in winter, and even in summer I find it at least slightly more pleasant than St. Louis, where I once lived.

So... This is another version of a "deeded lot" you may want to look at. So far it's working out great for me.

I'm planning a second park in the next year in Arizona and peeps welcome to hang with me. Keeping and expanding honeys for summer use.

there are tons of options out there to land when needed. I would not buy before you travel and hit that required time of needing to come off the road. There are a ton of locations that could suit your needs and make you very happy to live.
One reason we are hitting full nomad soon is to find a new love location in our lives for the final off the road resting area for ourselves. When we see it we will know it but until then we will be wandering aimlessly around enjoying each and every day. :) Best of luck in enjoying your travels.