Permanent deeded campsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a website that has deeded campsites listed for sale. They start out at 20k and i saw some going for 150k

popcorn2007 said:
Theres a website that has deeded campsites listed for sale. They start out at 20k and i saw some going for 150k
Can you please post the link to what you found? Thanks.

The Dire Wolfess

Checked two web sites and what they consider RV lots vary.

This summer, I stayed with a friend in a place called Bent Tree Harbor, just outside of Warsaw, MO. You buy a lot. It comes with a power pole and, sometimes, a septic tank. Then you can do just about any damn thing you want on that lot. (You gotta get building permits if you are gonna put in anything with a foundation, so a lot of "houses" are supported on stacks of rocks.) A lot of people just park a trailer there and then forget about it. So. lots of rotting old trailers. Some people have built really nice summer houses. It varies a lot from lot to lot. There aren't "good neighborhoods" and "bad neighborhoods."  Problem is it is cheap enough for crack-heads to afford. So, every couple of years things get pretty bad with break-ins and such.

But there are lots of places like that, all over the country. They are usually tucked away, just outside of the city limits of small towns. Especially small towns near things that are popular on a seasonal basis. Things like lakes or rivers or just warm areas.

The only way I know of to find these places is to just search for "lot for sale" and see what you get. But if you find a place that is part of a "community," with an official name, then it is much easier to find out what all the building code rules will be. You can just call them and ask. They will know exactly what you can get away with. If it is just a random lot, then you would have to call all the inspector's offices for all the possible jurisdictions that have a say in what you do on that lot. And none of them will ever want to give you a straight answer over the phone.

Moxadox said:
Can you please post the link to what you found?  Thanks.

The Dire Wolfess

I posted a link about an hour after my first posting and the mod gave me the stink eye. I have to have 10 posts before i can post a link.
 its.............. rvparkstore  ...  click on "rv lots"

Be careful there are a lot of regulations regarding deeded campsites. Many of them have a limited number of days you can use the sight in a calendar year. While your RV can remain its your physical body that can't be there. Some of the ones in Washington state have 180 days in a calendar year limits, others are 270 days in a year. When you are there for an extended time you have to leave for at least one full day in every 30 days time. Their calendar year varies, some start the clock in June, others in January or some other month.

Sometimes if the land is on an Indian reservation you are purchasing a long term lease rather than actual ownership of the land.

If you don't abide by the rules of the community organization you can be kicked out with no access to your place. If you get behind on the fees they can take your property away.

Always have an attorney read through the contract and explain to you the sometimes ambiguous language before you purchase the lot. Also all the pitfalls that might end up with an unexpected forfeiture. Due diligence is required, contact your local attorney generals office and see if there are complaints against the group.

Anytime you want to purchase a piece of property part of the investigation should be to call local law enforcement and see if there are neighborhood reports on theft, car prowls, gang activity, ongoing domestic situations, registered sex offenders, etc. I learned that lesson the hard way, this is a true story. I bought a large house on 3/4 acre with a water view in a very high end, Island, community that was located on a private drive. At the start of the drive was a person who was on methadone, he had inherited the land. In the house on east side of me was a man who was only home on weekend release from prison, he was convicted on the Savings and Loan Scandal. The day after I moved in the man from the house on west side knocked on my door telling me he was required by the law to notify me that he was a paroled, convicted murderer. None of those men was a good neighbor in fact or attitude. There are advantages to renting and boondocking.

That website i listed has lots for 20-30k but charges a yearly maintence fee of 2k. You or someone could buy a 100 pad rv park for under 1 million  and overall cost per lot/pad would be under 10k. I can't see why the "charity" doesn't buy a few rv parks in choice areas for the summer migration. There was a rv park 4 sale( by a lake)  that has 60 lots - 50 marina docking spots and a general store onsite for 600k

popcorn2007 said:
That website i listed has lots for 20-30k but charges a yearly maintence fee of 2k. You or someone could buy a 100 pad   rv park for under 1 million  and overall cost per lot/pad would be under 10k. I can't see why the "charity" doesn't buy a few rv parks in choice areas for the summer migration. There was a rv park  4 sale( by a lake)  that has 60 lots - 50 marina docking spots and a general  store onsite for 600k

600k would certainly tie up the funding.
Instead of helping  thousands of individuals with some essential needs such as repairs, stoves, tires, a solar panel, a battery, LED lights, even some good used cars or vans that can be slept in, that 600k would help only hundreds of people with a temporary parking place. We already know there are millions of acres of free temporary parking places to stay in. I myself would rather donate money to a charity working to help thousands of individuals in a calendar year meet  basic needs that can't be obtained for free.

I was thinking something in the line of a charity buys the rv park and sells off the lots at a slight profit. 600k with 60 lots would bring the cost down to roughly 10k. Rv parks on that site charge at least 2k in maintence fees. Thats 120k(60x2) minus  expenses of roughly 80k(60k taxes and 20k upkeep)and if theres a general store on site, it most likely at least break even. Theres money to be made or saved if it is done right. Also, i would think that folks would gift there old rvs when they pass away and they would have to go somewhere. So i guess the charity is just managing the property.
Thoughts?

Hre is my thought about it, someone is going to have to do the fund raising, get all the paperwork done, hire a manager or be a manager, etc. I suggest that person to lead the project should be you. You should not let tyour idea go to waste...go for it.