Passenger or Cargo Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel Pacheco

Reaction score
I'm new to the full-size van life. My wife and I own a 2003 minivan, taken the backseats out, and took it on numerous weekend warrior camping trips over the years. Although it is "cheaper to keep her," my minivan is on borrowed times and will eventually be turned into a short distance commuter until the wheels fall off. Now we're thinking of graduating to a newer full-size van, taking it a little further and longer away from base camp (home). Although I'm sold of pledging to a full-size cargo van, my wife is still the practical one. She's willing to go with a bigger van--8 cylinder as opposed to our 6 cylinder minivan, as suggested by the members on my other thread (Thank you)--but our newer/bigger van will have to serve a dual-purpose: a family commuter and a camper (with the seats taken out occasionally for camping). A Happy Wife is a Happy Van Life. So how do I concede to my wife's request without sacrificing stealthiness in high profile stealth camping areas like California? Any suggestions?

If it is going to be a family commuter with people sitting in the back seats they will enjoy having windows to look out of.

I love my cargo van, but hate that I can't transport people if I want to. It's great to be able to put the seats back in, especially if you're not living in the van full time. This guy made custom-fit window curtains with magnets - http://thevanual.com/finishing-touches/ - would black out your windows from the inside, not quite as "stealth" as a cargo van but no one could see in.

Just an observation about the actual process of removing and re-installing seats from vans, not sure if this helps. A while back I bought a nice Ford E350 passenger van with three rows of passenger seats, which I removed the first week I had the van.

I bought this particular van specifically because it was a pristine, gently used, and super clean passenger van with all the nice carpeting, interior finish details, and rear heater and AC, barn side doors (no more sliding side doors for me ever), and pop-out hinged windows. In other words, just what I wanted except for those three rows of passenger seats.

A couple of things about the seats: They are bolted to the floor with some serious hardware. The bolts themselves are easy enough to get to, but I had to use my air impact wrench to get them loose. And the seats are really, really big and heavy and awkward to move. They weigh well over a hundred pounds each, and it's a good job for two strong people to get them out of the van and into whatever dry storage place you've picked for them.

So it turns out I was right about the van and now I have the interior fixed up just the way I want it and it continues to run great, but bottom line:

The Seats Are Not Going Back In, Ever.

Johnny

windows Limit build options a lot - ( screw into glass not happening)

passengers likely looking at phone - sad

window cover s

more Hot /cold

JohnnyM said:
Just an observation about the actual process of removing and re-installing seats from vans, not sure if this helps. A while back I bought a nice Ford E350 passenger van with three rows of passenger seats, which I removed the first week I had the van.

I bought this particular van specifically because it was a pristine, gently used, and super clean passenger van with all the nice carpeting, interior finish details, and rear heater and AC, barn side doors (no more sliding side doors for me ever), and pop-out hinged windows. In other words, just what I wanted except for those three rows of passenger seats.

A couple of things about the seats: They are bolted to the floor with some serious hardware. The bolts themselves are easy enough to get to, but I had to use my air impact wrench to get them loose. And the seats are really, really big and heavy and awkward to move. They weigh well over a hundred pounds each, and it's a good job for two strong people to get them out of the van and into whatever dry storage place you've picked for them.

So it turns out I was right about the van and now I have the interior fixed up just the way I want it and it continues to run great, but bottom line:

The Seats Are Not Going Back In, Ever.

Johnny

Ouch! I have never realized the full-size passenger van seats pack some serious hardware to keep them bolted down, and a backbreaking two-man job to remove and replace them; it's definitely not like a minivan that only takes a quick pull on the toggles to release the seat locks. This will definitely affect my consideration between a passenger and cargo van. Thanks you for the insight. 

NP

bandaidqueen said:
I love my cargo van, but hate that I can't transport people if I want to. It's great to be able to put the seats back in, especially if you're not living in the van full time. This guy made custom-fit window curtains with magnets - http://thevanual.com/finishing-touches/ - would black out your windows from the inside, not quite as "stealth" as a cargo van but no one could see in.

I'll check the link out. I may be able to use the custom-fit window curtains and magnets on my minivan, while deciding on a full-size passenger or cargo van. Thanks. 

NP

I came from a large family and we always had a 15 passenger van when I was a kid. I learned to drive in a 15 passenger van. We would remove the seats quite often. This was a long time ago, over 20 years, I can't remember which kind of vans we had, it did take 2 people to remove the seats but it was usually a young teenager (me or my brother or sister) and my dad. Sometimes 2 kids would take out the seats, I watched my little brother and sister do it, and I even saw my dad do it by himself, although not easily. With two people it wasn't too hard. Every van is different, try taking out the seats with your wife before you purchase to make sure it's something you're comfortable with. You're just using the van for camping and not full-time living, so you don't need to build it out into a true camper. For your situation I would go with the passenger van. You still have a home to live in, you have a place to store the seats while you're camping. And having the ability to tote around a bunch of people when you need to can be a blessing. Plus you can leave some seats in - like maybe just the first or last row - and have 3 or 4 extra seatbelts. A cargo van will only have the driver and passenger seat for a max of 2 people.

I can only speak for the Ford transit passenger wagons all the rear passenger seats exept the single jump seat have quick release tabs to allow removal, but as mentioned are heavy, I used a cheap dolly to move them on my own.
I personally really enjoy the full windows (tinted for privacy ) and can cover easily if desired/required.

I have a passenger van. Love the windows! I got them tinted and don't use curtains. (I'm not city-stealthing) People can't see inside. I feel safer being able to easily see what's going on around me. I also really like waking up and seeing the outdoors all around me!

I took seats out using a socket-set adapter (like a 7 or 8 star?) particular to the big bolts. Bought it at an auto supply store. They were in there super-tight, but used a long pipe on the end of the wrench for extra leverage. Wasn't that hard, but the bench seats were heavy and awkward to get out-def needed 2 people.

I had to get the seats out of the place I was living (I realize they could be worth something, but I had to not have my van-build stuff all over landlord's place) so I put them on Craigslist for free and someone picked them up the next day.

I love having windows, would recommend it to anyone, very pleasant to be in.

bandaidqueen said:
I came from a large family and we always had a 15 passenger van when I was a kid. I learned to drive in a 15 passenger van. We would remove the seats quite often. This was a long time ago, over 20 years, I can't remember which kind of vans we had, it did take 2 people to remove the seats but it was usually a young teenager (me or my brother or sister) and my dad. Sometimes 2 kids would take out the seats, I watched my little brother and sister do it, and I even saw my dad do it by himself, although not easily. With two people it wasn't too hard. Every van is different, try taking out the seats with your wife before you purchase to make sure it's something you're comfortable with. You're just using the van for camping and not full-time living, so you don't need to build it out into a true camper. For your situation I would go with the passenger van. You still have a home to live in, you have a place to store the seats while you're camping. And having the ability to tote around a bunch of people when you need to can be a blessing. Plus you can leave some seats in - like maybe just the first or last row - and have 3 or 4 extra seatbelts. A cargo van will only have the driver and passenger seat for a max of 2 people.

Makes sense. I guess that is the reason I have not been able to let go of our minivan, even if it is already on borrowed time.  Just the practicality of our minivan serving as a commuter and a camper--and a cargo van to haul household stuff around--is the reason we are still holding on to it. Now that my wife and I are almost empty-nesters, we are setting our sights on a full-size van so we can stay out on the road a little longer; but part of us still want to haul our adult children (including their own family) around whenever they are in town for a visit.  I guess some old habits are just hard to get rid of.  Thanks for the comment.

As an owner of a 7 passenger Chevrolet Express van, I have taken my (limo) out camping several times.
Even road tripped for a couple weeks.
The middle seats however, need to be removed.
In mine it's as simple as turning a lever, and out come the "very heavy" middle seats.
Their respective mounts are mostly set in so a rug over them does well for this
To not remove them is a mistake I made.. once.
With the rear bench down to its (nearly double) bed, there is a couple inches front to get out, or opening the rear doors.
Ultimately I'm going to reconfigure a rear bed to pass thru,
And yes it is a preference to have great big windows, barn doors, pop out sides, etc. I love mine, just one day real soon I'm gonna find the balance of form & function in order to live in mine.
BTW being able to stand - for me - is necessary to dress, etc. Disabled years ago.
Good luck.
Keith_in_AZ