Partially used small propane bottles - do they leak?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2sturgis said:
*'in commerce' means commercial shipment by road, rail, or air. 

I omitted shipment over water...but hey, I'm old and forgetful...plus, here in the continental USA, (the 48 states) we don't see this method of domestic shipment as often.

:dodgy:

Yes, rules are made to be broken, but we often can't tell online between

people that actually know what they're doing,

as opposed that just think they do,

or those who are just willing to handle a lot more risk than most

Good point, but, I generally assume that adults will have some common sense.

For instance, if I suggest that someone drive to the nearest hardware store to buy a hammer, I don't also include warnings to buckle up, look both ways at intersections, drive at a reasonable speed, observe speed limits, stop when the light is red, watch for children at play, don't text while driving, and don't use counterfeit money at the store.

I figure, they already know that stuff.

Same with propane cylinders and bottles...but here it is:

Check for leaks, don't overfill them, dont smoke while refilling, don't refill them a hundred times, don't test the seal using a hacksaw, dont hit them with that claw hammer from the hardware store.....etc etc...

A Darwin Award is always waiting for those who get stupid around propane tanks.

As proof, I ALWAYS place those full bottles at LEAST 100 yards away when I shoot at them with a high-power rifle. Fun stuff.

:D

tx2sturgis said:
 . . . I generally assume that adults will have some common sense.

IMO it is common sense that when a container label is required by law to state:
[font=Arial,Bold]"Federal Law forbids transportation if refilled . . .[/font]

[font=Arial,Bold]And the organization that is responsible for safe transportation of said containers states:[/font]
[font=Arial,Bold][size=medium]"We strongly recommend that the general public refrain from refilling DOT 39 cylinders because of the one-time use design of these cylinders . . ."[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Bold][size=medium]That maybe it is a very bad idea to refill, let alone transport said cylinders.[/size][/font]

If you want to know more:
http://www.gizmology.net/dot39.htm

There also are 1# bottles designed to be refilled.

Or other sizes smaller than the 20# BBQ bottle.

But nothing is cheaper.

Spaceman Spiff said:
IMO it is common sense that when a container label is required by law to state:

"Federal Law forbids transportation if refilled . . ." 

And the organization that is responsible for safe transportation of said containers states:
"We strongly recommend that the general public refrain from refilling DOT 39 cylinders because of the one-time use design of these cylinders . . ."

That maybe it is a very bad idea to refill, let alone transport said cylinders.

Driving automobiles is a VERY bad idea too...that activity kills almost 40,000 people in the USA every year. And yet, most of us do it anyway.

I'm not recommending to anyone they SHOULD do it, just that they CAN do it.

As a side topic, the steel container industry is motivated to sell these, and yet, I wonder how many millions of these things (possibly partially charged) end up in dumpsters, sanitation trucks, and landfills. (the answer is: ALL of them) We are so used to a disposable society that we often ignore that aspect. 

But if you manage the risks, use common sense, study the topic, hope for some luck along the way, then usually, you will be fine. Just like driving a vehicle.