Partially used small propane bottles - do they leak?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeilaLight

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone - I apologize if this topic has been covered ad nauseum previously.  I did a quick search and my keywords didn't bring up a discussion...

I am planning a simple conversion of a cargo van. My current thought is to put a galley at the rear of the van (stand outside at rear to prep food, cook, and clean up). I will be living in Southern California, so not much worry about needing to cook indoors.  

My questions concern using propane or butane.  I think it makes sense for me to get a camp stove that could run on the small propane canisters.  If, after cooking, I remove the canister from the stove fuel line and close the canister (I can get some of those brass caps intended for this purpose - sturdier than the plastic caps that come with the canister), do I need to worry about storing the small canister in my van? Given that I won't have an external vented box to keep the open canister, what would be the best way to store it?  Do others worry about safety (suffocation or fire/explosion) with these small canisters?

No, you don't have to worry about the 1 lb propane tanks leaking. They are made to only open when attached to a purpose-made regulator that has a pin that sticks down into the top, thus opening a valve.

The butane cooktops available today are extremely compact and made for indoor use. You might consider something like this. I've seen some really nice models that even have a lid so you can tuck the whole thing away for travel.

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...pNrbiR0Ok4juTGQtW1Dxw_RrEuBf8yxMaAsE3EALw_wcB

The Dire Wolfess

Thank you! I feel much better with that information. And thanks for the tip about the butane stove. That looks perfect for my minimal cooking purposes. :)

Not really, they will have a distinct hissing sound if they don't seal. And you can store them in an ammo can with rubber gaskets to eliminate the worry if they do leak. Just open the storage container outside away from fire etc. And really, they have been in use for decades by plumbers campers etc.
I haven't heard anything about people blowing up because of a propane torch or lantern lately.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

98% of the time they will not leak. it's that 2%, sooner or later you will get one that does. I have had more than a few leak on me over the years. let's face it nothing is 100%. the main concern I have over the disposables is the high cost. for me butane is out, but many people are happy with it. highdesertranger

LeilaLight said:
If, after cooking, I remove the canister from the stove fuel line

Why remove?  I leave mine connected.  That reduces the wear on all the connection parts.  When I finish cooking I turn off the stove and the flame goes out.  People who use gas stoves in houses turn off the stove but leave it connected.  What is the problem to be solved by removing?

highdesertranger said:
for me butane is out,  but many people are happy with it.   

Is that because of butane's poor performance in cold weather and high elevations? Or something else?

Leila those are 2 reason a third reason is out in the sticks where I find myself a lot, the butane bottles are unavailable or outrageously priced . I use the 20lb propane tanks much, much cheaper to have those filled. highdesertranger

Moxadox said:
No, you don't have to worry about the 1 lb propane tanks leaking.  They are made to only open when attached to a purpose-made regulator that has a pin that sticks down into the top, thus opening a valve.

The butane cooktops available today are extremely compact and made for indoor use.  You might consider something like this.  I've seen some really nice models that even have a lid so you can tuck the whole thing away for travel.

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...pNrbiR0Ok4juTGQtW1Dxw_RrEuBf8yxMaAsE3EALw_wcB

The Dire Wolfess
Hey Dire. I've never tried butane. Do you have any comparative info between using the butane burner vs a typical Coleman propane stove? Cost to run, how long bottles last, &etc?

I see from this that butane cylinders of 8-oz cost about the same as a 16-oz propane cylinder, so one might guess roughly 2X as costly to use butane. The stove is as cute as a puppy, however, no metal arm and propane cylinder sticking out and getting in the way of everything else (ie, like inside my van). Does the windguard actually work?
https://www.amazon.com/GS-1000-Portable-Automatic-Ignition-Carrying/dp/B01MYGMO6M
https://www.amazon.com/Gasone-Butane-Fuel-Canister-4pack/dp/B000JORB2M

I like the 1-lb. propane cylinders for a variety of appliances (stoves, heaters, etc.) but one drawback has been that they are not refillable, but also cannot be recycled due to residual gas. So, pretty wasteful.

Until now.

I recently discovered this adapter which allows one to refill the small cylinders from a standard 20-lb. cylinder.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Refill-Adapter/dp/B000AMC5WO

Make dinner for your neighbor in exchange for refilling a few small cylinders off his big one —-- win-win!

I  use both a propane camp stove and a butane one.

Since I cook mostly indoors (because of not only the convenience of having all my kitchen right there but also bugs, weather, parking lots etc ), I use the butane stove a lot. I alleviate the higher cost of the butane by buying my canisters by the case in Quartzite so I'm paying somewhere under a $1.50 a can. I understand you can get it cheaper sometimes in ethnic grocery stores. The butane stove sits much more compactly on my counter and packs back in to its' carrying case very easily when need be.

I found that using either the one pound cans or the 20 lb tank was inconvenient for me for cooking inside. I have limited counter space and the stove took up too much room especially when I had a 1 lb tank attached to the side. If I used the hose to the 20 lb tank, it was always in my way and had to be disconnected after each use.

I use the propane stove outside with the 20 lb tank attached for doing long cooking jobs - the oven, cooking chili or spaghetti sauce etc.

Is the propane cheaper to run - most definitely on the 20 lb tanks. Not so much if you're using the 1 lb disposable bottles.

Yes, they can and do leak *sometimes*. In my experience it's been a very slow leak and not noticeable when in a ventilated area. But when you leave it in a vehicle for a while and open the door, it's a bit of a scary surprise to find a strong propane smell.

For many reasons already mentioned, plus my own tale, I'd suggest staying away from the 1lb tanks if you can.

There's a very reasonably priced refill kit you can order online to fill your small propane tanks from the larger 20 lb. Tank.

^^ that's fine if you're carrying both sizes of tanks or not on the road full-time and can leave the big tank at home.

Not so practical for the longer road trips or full-timing.

I carry one 1 lb tank for emergency use for my Mr. Buddy heater. If the 20 lb tank runs out, I can switch to the 1 lb long enough to stay warm until I can get the big tank filled.

I like the convenience of being able to refill the one lb. Tank for a lantern or camp stove and not worry about going to the nearest town if I run out.

keep in mind it is illegal to transport the 1lb canisters if they have been refilled. also refilling them makes leaks more likely. you can recycle the disposable propane bottles, those are just Schrader valves. remove the valve and they can be recycled. having said that I have the refill adapter, but I don't transport refilled bottles. highdesertranger

Do NOT refill the 1# disposables in a mobile context, only at home and summer hiking / camping, windows always open.

There are small tanks designed for that, pay the extra.

Almost There said:
I  use both a propane camp stove and a butane one.

Since I cook mostly indoors (because of not only the convenience of having all my kitchen right there but also bugs, weather, parking lots etc ), I use the butane stove a lot. I alleviate the higher cost of the butane by buying my canisters by the case in Quartzite so I'm paying somewhere under a $1.50 a can. I understand you can get it cheaper sometimes in ethnic grocery stores. The butane stove sits much more compactly on my counter and packs back in to its'  carrying case very easily when need be.
Thanks for the info. If you can get butane for $1.50, then it sounds comparable in price to the small propane canisters. I only cook outdoors using my 1-burner Coleman propane stove, as not wanting food smells in the van up to now. I have shied away from the 20-lb canisters, as no good place to put one in my van, given the current setup. Also, with the 1-pounders, it's easier to move the stove to the picnic table and back, etc.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-PowerPack-7-500-BTU-1-Burner-Stove/14574672

I see you can get butane canisters online for just over $1.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/butane-fuel-refill-8-oz-canister-case/244BU1000.html

Still working things out for the long-run.

Jeffrey Lee said:
 . . . I recently discovered this adapter which allows one to refill the small cylinders from a standard 20-lb. cylinder . . .

Beeps and eats said:
There's a very reasonably priced refill kit you can order online to fill your small propane tanks from the larger 20 lb. Tank . . .

Beeps and eats said:
I like the convenience of being able to refill the one lb. Tank . . .

[font=Arial,Bold]Federal Law forbids transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 fine and five [font=Arial,Bold]years’ [/font][font=Arial,Bold]imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124)[/font][/font]

https://www.forane.com/export/sites...terature/safety_alert_dot_39_cylinders.pd.pdf