Overwhelmed with Battery Choices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtwxmixte

Reaction score
Morning All,

We are determined to order a battery for our 13ft fiberglass camper this week and install everything this weekend. We have done so much research and read so many forums we are quite overwhelmed. Any suggestions on which battery we should purchase is much appreciated!

Also - is it okay to put our battery system inside the camper under the front seat? Or should we put it on the exterior of the camper (on the tongue)

Power Use:
Max Air Fan - 60 watts, 5 amps (max speed)
12V LED Lights (3) - 36 watts, 3 amps
Phone USB Charger (2) - 36 watts 3

Battery Idea: 
12V AGM (we do not want to deal with flooded lead acid)
~ 100 AH?
We like the idea of the replacement warranty that comes with the Interstate brand

Interstate: https://www.interstatebatteries.com...Line=rv&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true
Renogy: https://www.renogy.com/renogy-deep-cycle-agm-battery-12-volt-100ah/

Many people kill their first battery while learning how to live with it.  Think of the price as tuition at the battery school.  You can get a flooded 100 amp hour battery for $100.  It takes 5 minutes per month to add distilled water.  

How do you plan to charge it?  

Battery location affects trailer towing.  Having heavy stuff together reduces sway.  Putting water all the way in the back and balancing it with the battery as far forward as possible is far from optimum.  You want the massive axle, water tanks, battery as close as possible.  What is your tongue weight with no battety?

I don't like nor do I recommend Interstate Battery. The worst customer service and quick to sell out dated battery.

Trebor English said:
Many people kill their first battery while learning how to live with it.  Think of the price as tuition at the battery school.  You can get a flooded 100 amp hour battery for $100.  It takes 5 minutes per month to add distilled water.  

How do you plan to charge it?  

Battery location affects trailer towing.  Having heavy stuff together reduces sway.  Putting water all the way in the back and balancing it with the battery as far forward as possible is far from optimum.  You want the massive axle, water tanks, battery as close as possible.  What is your tongue weight with no battety?
With no battery our tongue weight is 45lb (way too low) our trailer weighs around 900-1000lb we think. 

We plan on charging it with the 100W Renogy solar panels with charge controller.

We were thinking about putting the water on the front left side under one seat and the battery under the seat on the right side. 

What would be your reccomendation? If we put it inside the camper I would rather it not be flooded.

Thanks so much for your input!

tongue weight should be 10-15% of total trailer weight(loaded). so you have a was to go. highdesertranger

Trebor English said:
You can get a flooded 100 amp hour battery for $100.  It takes 5 minutes per month to add distilled water. 

At the next RTR there really needs to be a demo on watering batteries.  Once people see how trivially easy it is to water them they will reconsider spending 2x for AGM.  Especially since the average bear won't achieve AGM's minimum charging rate using only solar.

vtwxmixte said:
Morning All,

We are determined to order a battery for our 13ft fiberglass camper this week and install everything this weekend. We have done so much research and read so many forums we are quite overwhelmed. Any suggestions on which battery we should purchase is much appreciated!

Also - is it okay to put our battery system inside the camper under the front seat? Or should we put it on the exterior of the camper (on the tongue)

Power Use:
Max Air Fan - 60 watts, 5 amps (max speed)
12V LED Lights (3) - 36 watts, 3 amps
Phone USB Charger (2) - 36 watts 3

Battery Idea: 
12V AGM (we do not want to deal with flooded lead acid)
~ 100 AH?
We like the idea of the replacement warranty that comes with the Interstate brand

Interstate: https://www.interstatebatteries.com...Line=rv&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true
Renogy: https://www.renogy.com/renogy-deep-cycle-agm-battery-12-volt-100ah/

For inside go with the AGM deep cycle, the Renogy is on Amazon prime for $200, the Sam's club Duracell is $180. 200 watts of solar would be much better, 100 watts has a hard time recharging a battery that large, you will probably kill the battery in a year if you are full timing it. I like any big box store battery as you can return it easily. Keep your vent fan on low and you will do fine.

Sam's Club, at least east of Mississippi, are Duracell, made by East Penn (Deka). These AGM batteries are not rated the top as deep cycle, but far better than Interstate. Duracell EGC2 batteries are among the better deep cycle. They are available at Batteries Plus Bulbs in my area. Same price as Sam's Club, but no membership fee.

All Duracell are Deka, and all their FLA GCs are fantastic value.

Deka's AGMs are not, only 4-5 brands are worth the extra money, harder to care for and don't last as long.

Here is what we are leaning towards - we like the 105 AH and the 30 month warranty. Any objections?

Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 31M Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery

You can get two of the Walmart Maxx 29dc for about the same price. They have a two year warranty and Walmarts are everywhere. Buy another brand and have problems you might have a hard time finding a place to exchange them. Also with twice the capacity that means the batteries will only be drained half as much so they will charge quicker and last longer. They are sealed so no maintenance.

This is what I use. Do a web search and you will see a lot of people use them for electric trolling motors, (not easy duty), and are happy with them. They are not a true deep cycle, (heavy internal plates), but they handle high loads better than one of those would, (think microwave oven for short periods of time like reheat or cook a burrito), with a 2,000 watt pure sine wave inverter.

I had the same choice. But i didn't want marine type batteries as they are not true deep cycle batteries. I didn't want to spend $2.30 per amp hour for AGM's that are less forgiving if not properly cared for. So i went with the gold standard wet cell golf cart batteries. Less than $1 per amp hour, easier to care and charge, more forgiving of new guy learning about battery storage.

Neither are good quality AGM for deep cycling, paying more for Lifeline Odyssey Northstar will yield better value.

If properly cared for.

Are you sure you **need** AGM?

I know we do not *need* agm, but we were planning on putting it inside the camper not on the tongue, so I was worried about leakage from a 'wet' battery. Any thoughts on this are appreciated!

Sorry, crossposted.

The "neither" above refers to

Deka / Duracell AGM, and

any 12V sold in big box retail or automotive channels, much worse value than the above, unless scamming warranties I suppose.

Deka FLA and GEL are great.

vtwxmixte said:
I know we do not *need* agm, but we were planning on putting it inside the camper not on the tongue, so I was worried about leakage from a 'wet' battery. Any thoughts on this are appreciated!
Bottom tray resistant to acid.

Secure hold-downs for in the event of a crash.

Top cover to prevent shorting.

Done.

If it turns out you're sensitive to the smell, then enclose fully and vent from the top to the outside.

vtwxmixte said:
I know we do not *need* agm, but we were planning on putting it inside the camper not on the tongue, so I was worried about leakage from a 'wet' battery.

If you roll the camper they might leak.  :)  The main cause of leakage is watering the batteries (adding water) when the batts are discharged.  Since the electrolyte expands a bit when charged, water them when they are fully charged. Second is probably failure to use temperature compensation.

Two flooded 6v golf cart batts in series will get you 2.05x the capacity for about the same (1.04x) the price.  And they are more forgiving of the kinds of mistakes we all make while learning.

Latest posts