Wire Gauge Size to connect battery bank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkb2016

Reaction score
I am wanting to build a battery bank using my 2 200AH Renogy batteries. The entirety of my electrical setup is as follows:

300w of solar
Renogy MPPT charge controller
4000w inverter
2 200AH Renogy AGM Batteries

My max load should be 2000w from my induction cooktop, most of the time if I use the cooktop I'd be using it at lower wattages. I don't have any other appliances that come close to using that much energy.

Trying to figure out what wire gauge I need to connect the batteries in parallel (so that it will be a 400ah 12v bank). The inverter came with some 3 ft 0 AWG cables, and I would like to know if those are ok to use with the cooktop or if I'll need an upgrade for that 2000w load.

Right now I have some 1ft 4/0 AWG cables coming and the plan is to use those to connect the batteries.

The oversized bank is because I spend some time in areas where it gets cloudy often - but the sunny days usually leave me with excess power that could be stored in the larger bank. I want to get it set up to charge from the alternator soon as well but haven't done it yet.

At max load, your inverter will draw over 300 amps of power. The 1/0 cables that the inverter came with will work fine since the cable run is only 6'. It never hurts to go bigger than you need though. The less voltage drop the better! When connecting the batteries in parallel, make sure to keep all the cables from the batteries the same length to keep everything balanced. Remember to install the proper circuit protection!