overlanders

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
I was curious if any/many of you are the overland type of vanlifer/nomads?

My intent had been to purchase a small sailboat to learn and live and explore but the covid threw most of that out as I wouldn't be able to attend classes nor shop...
So here I am with plan B..van ala land. I am excited about it..but after getting a bit more info about the 4x4 nomad life I am hooked. It is as close to being untethered on the sea that I can get at this point. I often would 4x with buddies nearly every weekend..LOL.. you had to just to get to the house. Off the beaten path is what I prefer.

I am particularly interested in the TransAmerica Trail... starting in Virginia or NC depending and ending in Oregon or such..there are "spurs" that you can explore further. Have any of you done this before?  I believe it is nearly 95% all dirt road!! HOLY SMOKES talk about a great adventure.
Of course it is only suited for 4x4 and motorcycle.

https://www.transamtrail.com/

I want to start the research process now..maybe slowly make my way east this winter..(apparently this trail only goes east to west) and prepare to cross in the late spring.

Any input would be most appreciated.

LOL, ...a one-way trail? I wonder if they have the signs with arrows so you don't go west to east in error!

Thats more the sort of thing I did in the past and am interested in when I start becoming semi-nomadic again seasonally. Partly to conserve finances, partly because I love the outdoors and exploring back country. Many of the places I camped in Az in the past, Id wake up at first light and take my rifle and dog for a walk. In the motorcycle/pre-dog days, Id often ride in as far as practical on the bike to camp. I could go through some places that regular 4 wheel vehicle had trouble with, as I only had one track to deal with, I could avoid some ruts and rocks.

GypsyJan said:
LOL, ...a one-way trail? I wonder if they have the signs with arrows so you don't go west to east in error!
I am sure that is because going down many slopes are easier than going up. It would be nice if they had another route going west to east. There probably are piecemeal trails that do it.

One of my biggest fears in vanlife is somehow becoming a "drifter". There has to be purpose and adventure for me. I think the guy on here that posted  about doing a month in each state would be great. Id love to do a study or write a book or do something other than move every 2 weeks.
 Maybe Ill start looking at grants from the depts of ecology and lands agencies. Maybe some agency is paying to record meadowlarks in the west.

-----wyoming meadowlarks are  such a great sound in the morning.

Malamute said:
Thats more the sort of thing I did in the past and am interested in when I start becoming semi-nomadic again seasonally. Partly to conserve finances, partly because I love the outdoors and exploring back country. Many of the places I camped in Az in the past, Id wake up at first light and take my rifle and dog for a walk. In the motorcycle/pre-dog days, Id often ride in as far as practical on the bike to camp. I could go through some places that regular 4 wheel vehicle had trouble with, as I only had one track to deal with, I could avoid some ruts and rocks.
Doing this on a bike would be awesome as well and a few hours ago I was looking at some for sale. :)

Hike the AT then jump on the TAT and finish it off with the PCT...LOL

If you're really getting gung-ho for this sort of thing, there is another one that hasn't as much high elevations and mountain climbing as some of the more established Trails, like the PCT and AT ... American Discovery Trail, although covid appears to have shut it down.

https://discoverytrail.org/

Thanks Q!

I did not even know of this trail. I was aware of the big 3.. AT CDT and PCT... I would love to spend the next several years doing these "feats"  AND creating a photo essay for sale at the now discounted price of....

Kind of a bummer it goes through so many towns.. I am not much of  a fan of walking miles and miles on the roadway..people would think I am a hobo...not that there is anything wrong with being hobo..

Hey MM.. if we still active around here I would enjoying teaming up to head across the wilds of America.

Given the extensive backroads the TAT has. what do you bet most east coast preppers have this as their escape route west in the event of utter chaos.

desert_sailing said:
I was curious if any/many of you are the overland type of vanlifer/nomads?.....
https://www.transamtrail.com/

I want to start the research process now..maybe slowly make my way east this winter..(apparently this trail only goes east to west) and prepare to cross in the late spring.

Any input would be most appreciated.

How could a trail work only east to west???

I am sure it is because some of the terrain is easier that direction than the other. Like I said it probably has hills that can not be driven up but can be driven down. I am not sure but that is my guess. I have been on plenty of off road areas that are impossible one way but can be reached the other way.

I would guess the reason the TAT is east to west is because the guy Sam that originated the route designed it that way. People that run the TAT purchase the detailed navigation materials from Sam and run the trail based on his turn-by-turn directions. There's nothing to stop someone from running the trail west to east but they would have to re-interpret Sam's route in reverse and we're talking about 5,000 miles of backroads and thousands upon thousands of directions to figure out in reverse.

Another reason for running the trail east to west is aesthetics; the trail starts out through rather boring flatland and progresses through more and more beautiful country, finally ending at the Pacific Ocean. Doing the trail in reverse would be like eating a fine meal starting with dessert, or reading a book from the ending first.  :angel:

Im not familiar with the TAT or one way aspects, but there are roads in Death Valley that are one way, as theres no practical way to turn around or back up if meeting someone in some canyons or hillside roads.

This may also be more difficult going the other way,

jeep-pickup-truck1.jpg

Attachments

• jeep-pickup-truck1.jpg
    jeep-pickup-truck1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 10
I am definitely one at home with the only neighbor being Mother Nature and built my rig accordingly but I don't seek out adventure.

I go with the flow of the moment then formulate a plan as necessary.

Expeditionportal site is an excellent resource as is member highdesertranger here.

desert_sailing said:
...One of my biggest fears in vanlife is somehow becoming a "drifter". There has to be purpose and adventure for me.... Maybe some agency is paying to record meadowlarks in the west.

-----wyoming meadowlarks are  such a great sound in the morning.

You could get a seasonal job as a sheepherder in Wyoming and listen to meadowlarks in your spare time. They pay $300 per month plus food, byo rv.

Or you could camp on Thunder Basin National grasslands. Birds there too.
-crofter

Malamute said:
Im not familiar with the TAT or one way aspects, but there are roads in Death Valley that are one way, as theres no practical way to turn around or back up if meeting someone in some canyons or hillside roads.

This may also be more difficult going the other way,
Looks difficult enough that way!

Thanks for the responses, I like finding out things I don't know!

Maybe someone is already working out a west-to-east route, seems like an obvious thing to do.

desert_sailing said:
Kind of a bummer it goes through so many towns.. I am not much of  a fan of walking miles and miles on the roadway..people would think I am a hobo...not that there is anything wrong with being hobo..
Short of having a serious 4WD vehicle like shown in some of the videos, that you might be able to tow behind your van or RV, a viable way to do these trips with a regular van would be to do short off-road chunks via hiking or motorcycle maybe for 3-4 days with a tent, and then drive between convenient trailheads. Otherwise, you'll need a serious 4WD vehicle to do many of the stretches.

I was disappointed the foot cross country trail went through soo many towns and was along highways.. unlike the other big3.

I did do a bit of preliminary research on the TAT and there are people indeed using/used the toyota van wagons AND the mitsubishi delica.
Id be very pleased with either of those.  Probably several good rig choices that cruise the TAT.

I am curious about HDR and his 4x4 off roading habits and equipment and locales.

Primarily interested in what kind of rig would be viable for "overlanding" the West.

I of course am a huge fan of those toyota van wagons and the mistubishi delica and would be down for a truck and cab over or something  along those lines. Do you think either of those vans would be suficient to get back far enough so to be away from the more crowded areas and avoid all those issues that come along with being among the masses. What is your prefered/current off road living vehicle?

Are you aware of many off road caravan groups? While I like remotness and natural beauty I do like to share experiences with like minded folks. How is the offroading in the West during winter?

Starting with an appropriate rig that I can work on over the winter is of course my first step.  Very LIMITED budget..

I don't know the extent of your backwoods travels but what are your biggest negatives? I have a good idea what the positives are.

Thanks for any seeds you can throw out there.

jacqueg said:
How could a trail work only east to west???
Here is the trail/road completed on dual sport bikes.

It is pretty long video but skip ahead to 8.05 and there is one  reason.  That is brutal! I dont know how I would feel about that section.

I never had a sports bike. But I had for several years a 2-stroke 250cc MZ nicknamed 'the mule' that would go anywhere without complaint.