Opinions on 97 Chevy P30 Grumman Olson for Sale?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepySkies

Reaction score
So I've been kicking around the idea of living in a vehicle for a long while now, and I was starting to do some market research. Ideally, I think I would like to convert a step van into a home of sorts. Originally I was thinking of a box truck, but then I came across a few step vans and I rather started to like the idea of box access without having to exit the vehicle. So I've done a lot of searching and I came across this listing:
https://york.craigslist.org/cto/6061202182.html

I've heard a bunch of different stories on these Grumman style vehicles. Some say they will last forever, others say if you get a lemon you're looking at repairs worth more than the vehicle. Another thing is noise/ride-comfort. Now I don't think I'd mind it too much, but then again I've never driven a step van [I've driven large box trucks and cargo vans and despite not being diesel; people at my work place would push those things as hard as they could and it was pretty uncomfortable].

Any thoughts or opinions on it?

Roomy, easy to build out
potential problems are: do you know how to maintain diesels?
will your insurance cover it with a non commercial policy?
will your state title it as other than a commercial vehicle?

I've got a '96 P30 with a Grumman body. It's great. Mine was an old tool truck and was partially converted when I got it.

You'll have a 6.5L Detroit Diesel, probably non turboed. They are not great for modifying or big power but they are pretty reliable. Most people wish for the 4BT or 6BT Cummins but I wouldn't worry.

The ride is harsh and uncomfortable if you're only used to passenger cars. I heard tons of horror stories before getting mine. I drove it 150 miles with no issues. Yes, it's worse than a car. No, it's not that bad. The small, barely adjustable seat is the worst part.

That van has the swinging doors rather than the roll up door. That's good.

I'd expect the seller to ask too much. He states "These Lunch Trucks go anywhere from $60,000 (decent shape), up to over $200,000!" which is true but only after they've been converted. A bare step van is worth a little more than scrap aluminum prices. I paid $3k or $3500 for mine last year, for reference.

Let me know if you have any questions about step vans.

Final note: step vans are awesome.

The debates over which diesel go on forever. Personally, I prefer Cummins 6bt's, and my step van is a 5.7 gas...'cause that's what I found for 2600 bucks.
('87 Grumman, 12' box, 66k miles, new front tires and brakes, asking 3800.- waved 26 -$100. bills and started to drive away...)
Also have a 95 shorty exfedex I bought for $1800.

I think the seller of the van you're asking about might be expecting big bucks from his comments....depending on condition, and how long it has set around, I'd be thinking $6000 MAXIMUM, more likely closer to $3500.

I'm with Bud- step vans are awesome.

yeah 3500-4000 max. don't ask me why anybody would rebuild a diesel engine and transmission at 100k, they could have done more harm than good. highdesertranger

Wow, thanks for all the input guys and or gals. I was thinking the same about him wanting some ridiculously high price, but I contacted him prior to this thread and he said $5,000. Step vans on Craigslist in PA (USA) aren't very cheap.

$5,000 is a bit high for my taste. I think $4000 for just the truck is reasonable. Opinions?

Also I have no experience with diesel maintenance but I can and am willing to learn anything.

They have a bunch of postal trucks at the facility I work out of . They just started bringing them in so I'm not sure what they are doing with them. I could ask around if your not in a rush.

;) They have a bunch of postal trucks at the facility I work out of . They just started bringing them in so I'm not sure what they are doing with. I could ask around if your not in a rush.

Crabbyjerry said:
;) They have a bunch of postal trucks at the facility I work out of . They just started bringing them in so I'm not sure what they are doing with. I could ask around if your not in a rush.

Whereabouts are you located? I'm up in Northeastern PA.

Latest posts