Open the pod bay doors Hal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedPillRover

Reaction score
Hi.  I'm still in the planning stages of my cargo trailer build.  I really want to integrate "smart" voice control technology as a key feature.

Said another way, I really want to "Alexa the shit" out of this thing.

I am a software developer by profession, specializing in integrating differing systems with API's, so I have no concerns whatsoever about that side of it.

I really have no clues on the hardware side though.  I know I can buy off the shelf components for some parts such as specialized AC outlets, but don't know where to start for customized implementations.

For example, i have been looking at "See Level Tank Monitoring system" for my grey and fresh water monitoring system.  My sense is that this product has a tank sensor has a single wire that leads to the display unit. 

My question is, what is my first step in learning how I can listen to and interpret what that sensor is communicating?  I assume the solution would be some combination of Rasberry PI, Arduino and Dyson Sphere technology, but I just don't know where to start my learning effort.

Also, i really don't want to have to learn this stuff and would be thrilled if someone reading this who has hardware expertise would be interested in a joining their knowledge to my software knowledge in a collaborative effort to make something cool.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Most holding tanks in RVs have 3 or 4 sensor wires that simply pass along a small current when water (or whatever) is touching the little probe on the inside of the tank, for each sensor. 

You could easily interface your pi or arduino to those wires, or the monitor board itself, so that Alexa reports the current level: "Your fresh water tank level is one half full" or whatever.

Most of us just push the little button: an indicator or LEDs show the level, and we find this quite acceptable.

The existing indicator is just as easy to push the button as it is to look at it. This is what I do.

There are existing switches (12V) for Alexa, some with dimming and others to control RGB lights too. I think I found one that is 5V (for USB powered stuff) but not sure. I am still looking for stuff. I carry an Echo Dot plugged into a USB port.

You will need an electronics engineer to come up with an interface for whatever you are trying to control.

I would love one to start my generator so I don't have to get out of bed in the morning to start the coffee pot (I am lazy after all). The problem there lies in detecting when the generator starts and not keep the starter engaged. It runs for 30 seconds to stabilize before it starts producing power for the 120V AC to be used for sensing. Good luck!

B and C said:
I would love one to start my generator so I don't have to get out of bed in the morning to start the coffee pot (I am lazy after all).  The problem there lies in detecting when the generator starts and not keep the starter engaged. 

Have you looked at the wireless remote start and bluetooth controlled generators?

Kinda spendier and heavier, but hey, when you want yer coffee, you want yer coffee!

(really, I'd just use an old-school coffee pot over a propane burner, but that's me)

Built in Onan with a push button start inside. I may just have to run a start/kill switch to the "bedroom". Getting wires past the bathroom will be a challenge. In reality, I will get up to start it like I already do. Easier in the long run. An electric drip is a lot easier for me and makes 12 cups and is a lot easier to clean. I drink this much (or more) if given a chance. I did get a 9 cup percolator for the propane stove when the genny isn't welcome. I got rid of the 5 cup drip I was going to use off batteries as it is really too small and a heavy drain on the batteries when they could least use it.

You really want Alexa listening to everything?
Just push the button whenever you are near it. Once a day is all it needs.
Program an Arduino to power a beep when it only the 1/4 full led is lit and a steady beep when only empty is lit.
An Arduino is not usually connected to the Bezos collective unless you add hardware and drivers to do that.

wayne49 said:
You really want Alexa listening to everything?

Alexa, flush the toilet.

Alexa, put out the solar panels.

Alexa, make the turkey dinner.

Alexa! Stop talking to Hal and listen to me!

:cool:

Run your life without having to get out of bed or a chair? What is the world coming too? Reminds me of all the humans on the "cruise ship" in the movie "Wall-E. They had evolved to the point they could not even get out of a chair. Playing with Alexa is perhaps not the healthiest of hobbies one could take up.

When you have a knee that hurts like he** when you walk on it, you look for ways not to walk on it.

Thanks all for the good feedback here.  I feel i should mention that I'm not considering this for practical reasons... I am not too lazy to press a button :).  I am just a fan of home automation tech.

Back when MP3 players were only a rich mans toy I wanted to put a computer in my black sports car. I found a 1U rack mount server for almost nothing on Ebay but never got around to swapping out the power supply for a 12v one. The startup sound I'd decided would be the voice of knight rider. :p

I'm a HW engineer (retired), so I may be able to point you in a few conflicting directions.

Looks like the Seelevel stuff is RV-C CAN compatible, so you should be able to parse out Seelevel activity using that protocol.
So the HW interface is really simple. Coding an Arduino or Rasberry to sync up should also be very straightforward.

At one point I was going to roll my own bus monitor/controller, mainly for giggles, but I decided it was easier to old-fashioned hard-wire the standalone components of my build...don't really want/need a controller as a potential single point of failure when I'm out in the boonies.

Latest posts