Oops, anyone have experience with gear shift indicators?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreadHeadDrifter

Reaction score
Sooooooo I was tinkering with the van, and had to take my dash out to get to some wiring. I accidentally undid this little clip, that holds my gear shift indicator in place near the steering wheel. It popped out, I was able to salvage the parts, there are three pieces. One is a weird metal clip, one is a long piece of plastic that goes to the PRNDL with an orange indicator on one end, and one is a small piece that attaches from the gear shift indicator to the little metal clip. I have no idea how to put this thing back together. It seems so simple but I just cannot figure it out! I know my description is very vague , but I was wondering if any mechanics here know how to reassemble this piece? Here is a picture I took of the pieces.

1440512608368.jpg1440512591692.jpg

Attachments

• 1440512608368.jpg
    1440512608368.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 1440512591692.jpg
    1440512591692.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 19
Don't feel bad,  I did the same thing the first time I took mine a part.   Have now had my steering column apart down below the dash several times.

I use to take pictures as I prepared to remove the next thing.  Problem is, I would take something a part and six things would fall out that I had no idea where they came from or how they went in.  Trial and error putting it back together,  certainly gives you experience taking it a part and finally figuring how to put it back in.

Those parts sure look familiar, but my being here and not there to put it together, I could never tell you how it goes. I do know nothing has to be forced,  if it is right it goes together real easy.

I have since bought a dvd that is used by mechanics,  distributed by the manufacturer of my vehicle, 1200 pages of vital information.

Keep trying and you will figure it out.

DreadHeadDrifter said:
Sooooooo I was tinkering with the van, and had to take my dash out to get to some wiring. I accidentally undid this little clip, that holds my gear shift indicator in place near the steering wheel. It popped out, I was able to salvage the parts, there are three pieces. One is a weird metal clip, one is a long piece of plastic that goes to the PRNDL with an orange indicator on one end, and one is a small piece that attaches from the gear shift indicator to the little metal clip. I have no idea how to put this thing back together. It seems so simple but I just cannot figure it out! I know my description is very vague , but I was wondering if any mechanics here know how to reassemble this piece? Here is a picture I took of the pieces.

It would be most valuable to know the year and make and model of vehicle you have to assist you. 

Maybe we can find it on the net. 

Mike R

It is a 1992 Chevy G20 Conversion Van, I have been googling all day with little luck. I might just have to do a trial and error till I figure it out.

MikeRuth said:
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/

There are diagrams and instructions in here,

Check it out

BTW that clip is usually connected to a string and clipped under the steering column. Might be a hint for ya.

Yep, the clip goes to a string which goes to the prndl indicator. I have a G20 manual if you need me to find a pic of how it works. My G20 is a 93 as is the manual.

Yours is just like mine.
That clips slides into the raised opening behind the section that shows the letters.  It holds the smaller piece which holds the long indicator.  The long indicator you have in your hand slides under the column and up into where the letters are.   Probably none of that makes sense!
Will see if I can load a pic of mine.

IMG_1628.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 13
Oh wow thank you everyone for your help! I was able to reinstall it! Just took some patience, which is hard for me lol Thanks again for the help yall are the best!

Latest posts