make Phone mount for Van dash

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy2

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] made a cell phone mount for van dash -[/font]
my van dash has no good area to attach phone holder -

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]looked online did not find anything that looked ok for sale -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so  made this one - works well[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]my van has a V shaped pocket on dash -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V shaped [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pocket is weird shape lots of angles so[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]decided that I would Cast piece to fit into pocket -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]used Plaster of Paris - in a plastic baggie -[/font]

to measure how much plaster U need 
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]put some plaster into bag - [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]stuff dry plaster into pocket [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and see if you need More [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]or Less plaster to fill pocket on UR dash-[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](plaster powder shrinks a little once U add the water 10% ish)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]fold bag to fit pocket well -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]used about 50% of water called for and made thick paste -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mixed in bag -[/font]

Earlier got a small piece of wood that would fit into pocket
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cell mount was attached to (epoxied) this piece of wood -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]wood was inserted into the plaster after mixing -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]wood makes surface for plaster to grip and hold cell mount -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]plaster bag and cell holder were positioned in cup so that phone[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]is next to dash but not blocking AC airflow or view of instruments -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pushed plaster Into pocket - smoothed out[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Made easy to SEE and reach for GPS maps etc -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]used short stem cell phone holder[/font]

5c9qQbCh.jpg
[/img]

vAA7qXzh.jpg
[/img]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]spray painted plaster black after it dried well[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
02QwO3kh.jpg
[/img][/font]

glued a magnet to front part of plaster  and
now can attach a LED flashlight - Nice

2xB03ssh.jpg
[/img]

Very nice work Groovy! I love your posts. Always good info and clever DIY. I usually just stick my cell phone in the cupholder. I can adequately use Maps with it there so I don't bother with anything else. Just can't have a drink AND use my phone lol.

I just tried my vent mount on the van and it doesn't work! Worked great in my car.

Not sure what my solution will be. Way to think outside the box.

Good outside the box fix. I just use a windshield mount mounted in the upper left hand corner and ran a charger wire to there. I can still use my limited dash area as originally intended..

bandaidqueen said:
Very nice work Groovy! I love your posts. Always good info and clever DIY. I usually just stick my cell phone in the cupholder. I can adequately use Maps with it there so I don't bother with anything else. Just can't have a drink AND use my phone lol.
I do the same. 

Looked at all the phone mounts for sale on amazon once, couldn't make a decision, so I've kept right on using the cupholder. Fortunately, my van console has more than one cupholder!