SwivelsRus install on Nissan NV 2500-lengthy Part 1

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I would update CRVL with the install of the swivel.  Sorry about the different fonts from all the copying and pasting. Also, since the post is so long, I need to do multiple ones so the forum will take it. Part 1:

First of all, it was really important for Hubby to have a swivel since the actual box of the Nissan NV 1500/2500/3500 is comparatively small than that of other high roof vans. We got the NV for other reasons, but that's another whole post. 

Buying from SwivelsRus was a leap of faith. They are the only distributor in the US, so it's "take it or leave it". You have to send them a paper check in advance for a lot of money (to us, anyway), in this case, $544 which included shipping and handling. There are no other options. Not even picking it up from the company. Kinda scary.

Well, anyway, the swivel did finally arrive after several months of waiting (big breath of relief!). The instructions that came with it were completely useless (even after the install, Hubby still thought they were useless after looking at them again).  

There are numerous posts on the web with instructions on installing them in a Sprinter, Transit and Promaster, but none on the Nissan NV 1500/2500/3500, so I'm posting this for posterity. Hubby ran into confusion from the get go. He contacted SwivelsRus with questions, but the woman there was pretty much unhelpful. I'll post her email with her comments after the fact. It almost seems that she enjoyed the difficulties that many people had installing their swivels.

So here it is:

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]"I finally installed! It works great, and my wife is thrilled with the [/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]additional seat height[/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif] for sightseeing. [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]As some of you may be aware, there is minimal amount of information on installing the swivels-r-us swivel for the NV vans (see photo of instructions). Even after installing the swivel, I looked at the instructions supplied by swivels-r-us, and they are still confusing to me. Fortunately for me I got a response from CJ (another member) about my original question as to the correct measurements of the swivel. He confirmed that the correct size of the swivel is [/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]17 1/2" X 18"[/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]. Looking at how to remove the [/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]seat I[/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif] was not comfortable, it is not obvious, and I am a bit spacially impaired. My wife was correct in her assumption, but I really wanted to hear it from someone who had actually removed the seat (she's really good at "Nanny-Nanny Boo-Boo" however!) [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]CJ sent me the following:[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]"I found that removing the whole seat assembly was a big help, so you've got that under control. Next, you want to take a close look at the seat and take note that there is the seat itself, the fore/aft slides and the seat base. The slides seem to be permanently attached to the seat base. Essentially, you want to insert the swivel between the seat and the slides. I recall there are 4 bolts/nuts holding the slides to the seat (or maybe there are 8 nuts...). And they're not really 'bolts', they're more like studs that are permanently mounted to the slides and then nuts are used to fasten the seat. Oh, and there is a piece of plastic trim along the right side of the assembly that partially covers the bolts. The trim 'pops' off with careful persuasion and get you easier access.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]From there, this is approximately what I did:[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]1)Remove the nuts & seat from the slides/base.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]2)Bolt swivel to seat with included hardware. I was a bit concerned about only 4 bolts, so added another pair to the rear slots/holes. Leave hardware slightly loose for now.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]3)Bolt swivel to studs on slides/seat base.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]4)Reinstall seat/swivel/seat base back into van.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]5)Monkey around with the fore/aft position of the seat/swivel/base assembly so that you can rotate the seat. There was a bit of interference with the [/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]swivel frame[/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif] and the fore/aft slide actuator lever. I used the slots to find a position where the interference was minimized. At some point, I may go back and 'dremel' the [/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]swivel frame[/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif] a bit to get more clearance.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]6)Tighten all of the hardware.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]7)Reinstall plastic trim cover on side of seat.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]8)Last, don't forget to reconnect the airbag sensor wire connector. I routed the wire up through the center of the swivel.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Note that swiveling the seat takes a bit of work in that the door needs to be open a bit and there may need to be some fore/aft adjustment to get clearance from the dash."[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]The above instructions are spot on! Just a couple of comments. There are eight nuts that have to be removed. I switched steps two and three above and it worked as well. The plastic trim you need to remove on the right has several plastic clips that need to pop out. First remove the plastic handle used to retract the passenger seat, the plastic cover can be popped out with a screwdriver, and one screw holds it on.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]I wanted something to replace the console, so I put in a removable pine box about [/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]eight inches tall[/font][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]. It is low enough and strong enough to step on while sitting in the driver's seat, if I'm too lazy to step over it. I just pick it up and move it when I swivel the seat.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Hope this helps someone's frustration level"[/font]
PART 2-NEXT POST

This is part of the email that Hubby got from the company after it was installed:

"On the contrary, for an American you managed exceedingly well with your go at the installation. We still have several out there completely stumped on this installation project that may never see light at the end of the tunnel. This is partly why it took me so long to reply to you as I am on the front line in dealing with the domestic general public and therefore, I work 3 days a week and get 2 days off as paid combat leave. We had to argue with the owners in Europe to agree to include the instruction sheet you received with the product depicting the parts and swivel as they should assemble. FYI - We further pushed the Germans for a video to accompany the product but, they refused as can be expected citing the famous German Public School 6th Grade Mechanical Test which implies - if it intuitively goes together over there without paperwork for these youngsters, god willing it should work like this elsewhere. They simply don’t understand the differences. If I had my way, I would ship out a set of hands and wrenches with each sale.

Our warehouse has assembled a 40’ wall about 5’ high above the desks with client pictures of swivels mounted upside down, with the handle pointing toward the center of the van, the handle pointing to the rear, the handle pointing to door, new angle iron of varying sizes spanning the longer hole distance you highlighted (a few pictures of angle iron welded in) the swivel built up on 10 or more washers using carriage bolts when installed upside down or when mounted to the floor, and multitude of these combinations.

Well, we are please with your success and you must feel like you climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro by now. Please have a pleasant Easter.

Regards,
Maria – Office Admin"

Note: I'm gonna have to post photos seperataly as I can't seem to add them to this post.
Ted

20190424_193058.jpg20190326_173742.jpg20190326_174414.jpg20190326_173631(1).jpg20190423_152059.jpgPhotos-having difficulties:

Attachments

• 20190326_173742.jpg
    20190326_173742.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190326_174414.jpg
    20190326_174414.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190424_193058.jpg
    20190424_193058.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190326_173631(1).jpg
    20190326_173631(1).jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190423_152059.jpg
    20190423_152059.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 20
I liked that message you got back. It is true that American schools in the past, for a great many generations, did not teach children adequately when it came to learning how to actually design, build and make things.

Fortunately the new STEM and STEAM programs are addressing this issue by getting even the elementary school level children involved in hands on design, fabrication and assembly of all kinds of projects and continuing it on through high school.

what a condescending BS email.

if they are having so many problems like they claim why don't they redo the instruction sheet. no need to wait for the manufacturer. oh wait that would actually entail caring about what you are selling and not just in it for the profit. like so many companies these days.

BTW I have no problem understanding the instructions. but I have installed swivel seats for a long, long time. I think the first one was on a brontosaurus.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
BTW I have no problem understanding the instructions.  but I have installed swivel seats for a long,  long time.  I think the first one was on a brontosaurus.

highdesertranger

You and I are the same vintage. LOL  

I have only installed two and didn't need any instructions.  Of course I have messed with mechanical stuff all my life.  When I was 12, I took apart a wind up alarm clock and put it back together and yes, it worked afterwards.

I'd rather see a picture than try to decifer another converted language. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks for taking the time to post this! From the pic it looks like when the seat is rotated it needs to be pointed pretty much straight back due to the tight fit with the box, or console. Is that the case? I would like to be able to sit there and play guitar but for that to work the seat would need to be angled slightly toward the driver side to allow space for the neck of the guitar.

If I go van I'm leaning heavily toward the Nissan. Would be interested to hear why you chose it and how they have worked out for you all.

Thanks for this post, I have been wanting to add a swivel to my Nissan for some time now and had a hard time finding one.  Can you please tell me how much height is added to the seat by the swivel?  I tried to get this info from Swivels R Us and received the same unique customer service that you received so I still do not have an answer.  Thanks

Discount van trucks suv rv.      swivels seat base Nisan 2015 and later $249 made in USA. 3/16 plate still

The two I installed, the existing bases were thrown out and the swivel installed. These were not on foreign vehicles though.

" I have been wanting to add a swivel to my Nissan for some time now and had a hard time finding one. Can you please tell me how much height is added to the seat by the swivel?"

3". It really made a big difference in visibility, given how low and back the seats are. I'm 5'8" and have to sit on a cushion to drive, otherwise I feel too low and have difficulties with seeing over the hood. My 5'10" son got into the new swivel installed seat and was impressed with the increased visibility also. I don't think the height of the swivel would impact even a very tall person's headroom in the lowtop.
Ted

travlin man and wife said:
The one I posted about will add 1in to your bright
I installed the swivel from Discountvantruck.com today.  Your instructions above for the other model were very helpful.  The swivel arrived without any instructions or documentation whatsoever, just a swivel in a box with some nuts and bolts.  But is is very heavy duty and worked fine for half the price of swivelsRus.  I had a few issues if anybody is considering this swivel.  (1) There is no accommodation for the bar that engages the manual seat slider so my first pass at install the bar is up against the swivel so the slider won't work.  My solution is to remove the seat base and spread the sides to remove the bar that activates the slider.  Then reinstall that bar UPSIDE DOWN.  That lowers the pivot creating a little room to move.  Also, add a couple washers to each of the 8 threaded posts to raise the swivel up ~1/8th inch.  Finally, you may need to bend the bar just a little so that it arches a little more toward the floor in it's upside down position.  (2) the wiring hole in the center bolt of the swivel is too narrow for the wiring harness to pass through.  So after unplugging the 2 harnesses, I snipped off the plugs on the wire coming from the floor (not on the seats) and I spliced in a generous extension for each wire on the 2 plugs.  then I plugged them back into the seat wiring harness, fed the wires through the hole, and connected each wire to it's original source wire.  The airbag light turns off after the car starts, so seems to be working.  Last item is the plastic trim on the right side of the seat.  It will not go back on properly with the swivel so I had to trim just shy of a half inch off the bottom.  Total install time over 3 hours, not the half hour listed on the website, but it's in and works great.

On my chevy express it was unbolt and rebolt. sorry you had so much trouble but al last you got it to work.