One million Americans living in rv's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hadn't thought about zerohedge since I stopped watching/reading/listening to news but the article is a valid 101 course on the issue.

I read the article and think the title "The End of the American Dream, Life As You Have Known It Will Never Be the Same Again . . ." is off putting and from my perspective presupposes a bad thing.

Who's American Dream is the writer talking about? The dreams advertisers and movie makers have propagated? As stated by the George Bailey character in It's A Wonderful Life "Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath?" Or, is the article writer condemning the cost of housing in major metropolitan areas - New York has been VERY expensive for years as has San Francisco. He appears to lay the desire to "go RV" or "go Nomad" at the feet of movie dreams and housing costs with only minimal recognition that for some, yes not all but for some, it is a desired choice. One that is not easily understood by those who don't choose it.

This isn't the end of THE American Dream. There has always been more than one American Dream. The lifestyle is a Different American Dream. The American Dream, whatever that is for an individual, is as varied as those who pursue it.

Well said, Deb. But I still think the American Dream is a societal thing in this context rather than an individual thing.

In American society, the first dream of probably virtually everyone is to have a nice house one day, somewhere on the level of finding a good partner, and, for many, having kids or a car. The stuff beat only by the more primal need of a vulnerable child to have a good safe home life and nice, caring, responsible parents. In other words, indispensable, and at the core of the idea of "who I want to be when I grow up."

When I was growing up, I also wanted to be Tarzan. My brother wanted to grow up to be a dolphin. We all change as we move through life, but before we embrace what makes us unique or even figure out what that is, we imbibe the culture we were born into. We may one day decide we believe that the America credo is "life, liberty, and the pursuit of anchovies," but we almost certainly start off with the far more general "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Which is nothing against anchovies, of course. Who is anyone to say what anyone else should like?

OregonDeb said:
This isn't the end of THE American Dream.  
This entire blow-everything-out-of-proportion business is a ridiculous way for a few media people to make a lucrative living. Guess what .... there are still 325-million other americans.

I agree with QinReno. It's about 0.3% of the American population. Not exactly a major movement.

the article title stinks :) and the content is ALL over the place from wanna be rv'er who chooses this life to those forced into vehicle living etc due to financial or more troubles in life. Job shaming in there cause he says you might have to clean toilets or work in a warehouse (implying that is sub par below level 'real' work for anyone out there in this world). Kinda not a one thought article, jumping all around and not a great article if ya ask me :) Hey my personal opinion on it only!!

For an article published by a website that obviously wants to attract survivalists, a non-mainstream life style, this one is sure dubious about another kind of non-mainstream lifestyle.

Oh well.

It made me think of a couple incidents in my own life that may demonstrate how non-mainstream I am, even though I can easily disappear in a crowd of mall walkers (talk about stealth - I've been stealth my whole life, it seems to me):

There was the one and only time I visited a used car lot. The salesman zeroed in on me like a shark on chum. "What would you say if I could put you in your dream car today?" I looked around at the cars on offer, and replied "I don't dream about cars."

And a few weeks ago, I was cruising a big box store for something or other when I was accosted by a young man who wanted to know what cable service I was using. "I don't" I replied. "Well, how do you watch TV?" "I don't", I replied. Flummoxed, he asked "Well, what do you do for entertainment?" "I read", I replied. I don't believe he ever believed me, he couldn't have looked more mistrustful if I mentioned I had a Martian birth certificate.

As I finish my stay in the park I have noticed that there are quite a few full timers here that do not own anything that would move their rig. Yesterday one told me that he had his 5th wheel delivered and that HE never intends on pulling it himself. Another has been here for 24 years and is on his second rig in the same spot. There are so many that not just in this park but in every park in the extended metro area that it is hard to get a spot.

The same is true in the other cities like Yuma, Ehrenberg and even Quartzsite in the winter. I think RV's are seen as less expensive and more mobile than actual mobile homes.

jimindenver said:
As I finish my stay in the park I have noticed that there are quite a few full timers here that do not own anything that would move their rig. Yesterday one told me that he had his 5th wheel delivered and that HE never intends on pulling it himself. Another has been here for 24 years and is on his second rig in the same spot. There are so many that not just in this park but in every park in the extended metro area that it is hard to get a spot.

The same is true in the other cities like Yuma, Ehrenberg and even Quartzsite in the winter. I think RV's are seen as less expensive and more mobile than actual mobile homes.

That's about what I'm doing.  It's cheap and it's mine, and that's already a lot.  If I get to the point that I can afford a solid truck to haul it, ,then mobility becomes an option I can explore.  But it isn't my first or even second need/desire.

Ms Linda said:
I know this is off topic, but what park allows someone to stay for 24 years?

One that likes to collect the rent I guess. lol

RoamerRV428 said:
"the content is ALL over the place" 

To me, the article is a reflection of the content found in this forum, all over the place and mostly all welcomed.

Ms Linda said:
I think a better question may be: Who would want to?

We have many "campgrounds" around us that are 75% permanent sites, where the trailers look like they are from the 60s/70s, and obviously haven't moved in years. I think most of these are weekend warriors who arrive on Friday afternoon, and drink until Sunday night. Not my idea of camping !

"I think a better question may be: Who would want to? "

Someone who is comfortable where they are. Is that a defect?

Ms Linda said:

The ones that call themselves trailer parks instead of RV parks.

And with the next recession, millions and millions more. Perhaps we will see "bum blockades" at state lines again, just like in the 1930's. Increased restrictions on public land camping are definitely coming; it will become more regimented and regulated, LTVA style.

Check out what's happening in France right now for a preview of our future.