One million Americans living in rv's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly a tough life.What do they do when the rv falls apart around them?24 years in a camper is a long time.I have to admire his fortitude.

Even falling apart, a camper is a big step up from what millions with few choices deal with every day.

Gratitude for what we've got is called for, it can always get worse.

We have lived full time in a 1983 Barth motorhome for the last 15 years or so. We did it because we did not want to stay where we were struggling (because good jobs were hard to find) to keep a big empty house (kids were all grown) maintained (lots of work and money in a region with four seasons). We ended up working and living in a National Park which we enjoy. A rented house is not an option for us although it could be. If we did rent it would take so much of our limited income we couldn't travel in the off season so we continue to live in our now perminently parked motorhome and have a travel trailer, truck camper or tent to use if we choose in the off season. We rent a house boat or lodge rooms (which we get at a discount) for friends or family gatherings or have them at one of the kids houses. We will eventually end up in a small trailer(mobile home, park model or camper) in someplace like Escapee's Care Center or close to an urban area for doctors and easy access to things required for daily living. To us that is much better than depending on government agencies or social services to provide for us as it would have been necessary if we stayed in a house without working at good paying jobs the rest of our lives.

Bullfrog those Barth’s used to be built like tanks. Pretty good rig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John61CT said:
Even falling apart, a camper is a big step up from what millions with few choices deal with every day.

Gratitude for what we've got is called for, it can always get worse.

One of the keys to life, rich or poor, IMO, and all the more important to people with limited means.

I face plenty of limitations, but even though I used to live in a nice house in an estate property, and have been offered a room for free in an even nicer place, I haven't been happier in years than I am now in my tiny little trailer, because it's mine, and there's not a lot anyone can hold over me anymore.

Yes the Barth has been great. It was completely checked out when we got it. An Amish farmer in Pa. didn't want to lay off his workers in the winter so they started flipping Barth motorhomes. I have around $15.000 (that includes the purchase price of $11,500 a waterheater,tires and brake work) into it total for over 15 years. The first two years we put a lot of miles on it but it has been parked the last 13 years. Since it is the Chevy P32 chassis I considered rebuilding everything at about the price I paid for it but I'm getting to old to rebuild collectable motorhomes! I'll probably give it away to some other crazy that wants to come work and live in the middle of nowhere when we cann't anymore.