One Awesome Inch - Van Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Permanently connecting all the pieces of 1/2 inch ply can be a bit a headscratcher. What I have done is used small 'L' brackets as a way to bind the pieces together. Slap in some PL Premium construction glue between the joints, and you are good to go. This glue is so strong, the claim is that its stronger than the wood itself. I have used it previously building bass guitar cabs and it works very well... just try not to get it on your hands... or anything else for that matter.

Here's a pic:
20150112_212613_zpsbjibavmb.jpg

Using a tip I picked up from this forum I covered over some holes I had to make in the rear of the van. In the Ford E150 they permanently mount hardware to keep the jackstand in place (in case you need to change a tire). I really didnt like it there. I was just going to bash it with a hammer till the metal tabs lay flat, but I quickly realized that a bad idea. So I had to drill out the 3 rivets... leaving three hole thru which I could see daylight.

Here's a pic of the holes.
20150112_212831_zpsrjwaultd.jpg

Here's a pic of how I covered them over. I used pennies, which naturally dont rust, and slathered around some silicone. Later, I am going to put some styrfoam on top to make the floor more even with the black rubber material already in there.
20150112_213937_zps4iqihnay.jpg

Lastly, I did all this work, including loud drilling and sawing in a Home Depot parking lot and was not bothered by anybody. Its a bit of a drive at 4km from my house, but knowing that I wont likely be hassled is worth it.

Second time I have seen 'the penny trick' in use! Love it! I knew keeping a bunch of old pennies was a good idea! Some E150 vans - like my old 1986 cargo van - also have the spare tire bracket mounted solidly to the body frame - the same idea would hold. Drilling out rivets and filling holes.
Luckily my 1988 conversion E150 has the rear-door mounted spare bracket. Just need to lower is a bit to prevent blockage of the view through that rear window.

Okay, time for a new batch of pics.

This first one is of front partrition being built. I am still going to be put 2 inches of foamboard insulation in that wall and then cover it up with luan wood panelling.
20150201_154900_zps1zvxsbc8.jpg

This second pic shows the sliding door with styrofoam taped up. In total there will be 4 inches of insulation in that spot, which of course is total overkill! But at least the wall will be even and uniform.
20150201_154654_zpsnyc97vdk.jpg

One of the biggest challenges of this build is that I have to do it all in the van with no storage area. I have learned that I must finish one aspect of the build before I go on... Otherwise, there is just too much building materials to have to deal with.
20150201_154941_zpsvsgbwssy.jpg

This upper right corner has been the toughest part of the build so far. I probably did about 3 cardboard templates, and as you can see, still didn't get it right. Oh well, I'll just glue some additional plywood and foamboard in there as required.
20150201_154714_zpsjbpuztoi.jpg

Partrition door open. I went with a piano hinge and put a strip of aluminum on the edge of the door as it will likely get badly banged up.
20150201_155128_zpsxjzygdxb.jpg

In this pic I was thinking of sticking another bit of 1/2 inch ply on that side section, but I think I might just stick foamboard there instead. Not sure.
20150201_154724_zpswmwv0k1e.jpg

This is where the sliding door stepwell should be. I am permanently keeping the sliding door closed and will wall over that section. The rear door will be my entry to move big stuff around and the front partrition door will be my daily use entry. In the sliding door stepwell I placed a piece of plywood which extends the floor.
20150201_154523_zpsqz4wk8s4.jpg

This pic shows the stepwell plywood cover off. I am temporarily using it for tool storage and odds and ends. Eventually, I will store heavy coats under there and offseason clothing. That will give the van just a tad more insulation.
20150201_154617_zpsg4g46ohq.jpg

This pic shows how a "hack" like me does stuff. Cut the wood too short? No worries! Just glue some more back on! Naturally that glue residue will be hidden when all is finished.
20150201_154759_zpshyvendbj.jpg

Well, thats it for now. Thanks for tuning in folks! :)

Nice[emoji106] You're getting there, bit by bit.
One word of caution; remember that the side door may not seal properly, thus water may come in some, getting your clothes wet. You'll still going to need tools and a place for them, why not there?
[emoji521][emoji521][emoji521][emoji521]
[emoji106][emoji604]

akrvbob said:
That's some great work! You're going to have a very cozy little home!
Bob

Thanks Bob! Once I get it all finished with the ventilation and heater it should be cozy. I'm also trying to keep the floor plan as open as possible... which isnt easy considering its about 54 sq feet.

Luisafernandes said:
Nice[emoji106]  You're getting there, bit by bit.
One word of caution; remember that the side door may not seal properly, thus water may come in some, getting your clothes wet. You'll still going to need tools and a place for them, why not there?
[emoji521][emoji521][emoji521][emoji521]
[emoji106][emoji604]

Good point. It rains here alot and I have not noticed any moisture down there so... so far so good. However putting my tools there is a good idea. I plan to have that section of the floor covered over with my bass guitar cabs. That will make access a bit more difficult. I guess it just depends on how often I'll use my tools. As far as layout and storage goes, nothing is set in stone at this point.

LeeRevell said:
So, no flooring later?  If so, you'll be trimming some OFF the partition door bottom to clear it.

Yeah, I may have to do some trimming. No biggie. I am going to lay down some linoleum fairly soon. There is a roll of it on CL for cheap but the guy hasnt been returning my emails. This lino is likely less than a 1/8th inch thick. So I might be okay. If not, out comes the saw! I also plan to add one of those rubber weather stripping dealies to the bottom of the door.... eventually.

I feel for you I find it very difficult to do a job when I am not set up, I did a lot of work in my vans while living in them, but when you are set up in a proper shop it is so much easier and it goes so much faster. You might want to consider renting a space to store your material and do some work, or befriend one of your neighbours that has a small shop, a friends carport??? If I lived in Vancouver and wanted to live in my van I would be on the search for a carport or a back alley parking spot, that I could rent preferably with an extension cord, who knows what might come up if you start looking now. good luck it is coming along nicely, by the time you get to the luan you will be an expert with that saw and tape measure.

Thanks bro.

All things considered I am progressing decently. I have an absolute maximum of 6 hours per week to do this work. Which, of course, really isnt very much. That said, I dont have extra time to drive to a shop. I have a cordless drill and cordless skill saw (not sure what you actually call it) so I am fine with the tools I have. I have been at this since early December and *must* be done by early July when I officially move out and make a huge change in my marriage. So yeah, slowly but surely I'll get there. I've got about 5 months so I should be fine. Ultimately, if I had to, I could move into the van right now, though that would be far from ideal.

Best of luck with your build. Could be having only a few hours a week is a blessing in disguise. Maybe it will allow you time in between to rethink stuff so when you do get to it, you are more confident it will be just right for you!

Great thread, your situation is similar to mine. Keep the chatting on three topics or I risk a big argument. Although we have decided to work on things, I have realized it would be a very smart idea to broach the subject of adding a van converted into a weekend camper. That way, we have a camper we can use and I also would not get caught flat footed again with no where to go...

Thats a great idea. For me, my marriage was way beyond that. Its a huge relief to be moving on.

After weeks of searching on CL I finally found a useable piece of linoleum for a decent price. I paid $25 for a large irregular shaped 14x8 piece. It had been used previously in a storage room or something. I am not thrilled with it asthetically but it will do. I saved at least $20 by going used. I decided to go with roll out linoleum because there many irregular spots on the floor. Vinyl tile was my other choice but I thought the lino would just roll over the seams of the floor and cover imperfections better.

This piece I cut from the larger piece is 6.5 feet by 10 feet. That should do it. Those two corner bits should be covered up once everything is in the van. 

20150206_211445_zpsfhit7ki5.jpg

you will probably appreciate a cordless jigsaw when you get into the finishing if all you have is a skill saw. I noticed when you were looking for shears that you were talking second hand, now with your linoleum you are not supper happy with the pattern but saved 20.00. Just wanted to say, because all the materials are in such small quantities, is it worth not getting what you really want. Once the build is over and you look back on the 200 dollars that you saved, will you care. After doing the inside of the Kurbmaster, I regretted some choices I made. Now I find myself going back over some stuff I scrimped on and changing it . There is not that much material going into a van, the bulk of it is labour, you will be spending a lot of time in it so I suggest you feather your nest with stuff you really like, we don't always have to compromise.

Yeah thats a good. Right now I have to build this on the cheap side. Gotta be outta here by July and its going to be tight. I can always change stuff up in the future... as you say.

Let me know if you want some carpet, or metal 2 door cabinets. Or wire(I've got a big scrap bin full again) or hand tools/screwdrivers etc. In future I'd skip the penny and just epoxy the holes with putty. Copper, acid(silicone cures with a vinegar smell for a reason) and steel aren't a good long term mix...

Or router etc.  Even mixed bins of fasteners, semi used sawzall and jigsaw blades.  My shop is overflowing with stuff I'm not gonig to ever use.  This goes for anyone who wants them.  I can bring a big free box to Vancouver in a few weeks, just kills me to throw away good useful stuff.

Latest posts