On to the battery isolator questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristalsdreamtrip

Reaction score
Ok, I bought 1/0awg red and black wire (25') and 2 150amp fuses to install my battery isolator. I found a very simple diagram that shows it coming off the ignition so I can't burn out the alternator by forgetting to shut it down when not driving. I did also buy a shutoff switch. Does this sound right?

Don't you have Lithium batteries? I am not a Lithium expert hopefully others will chime in, but I believe that you can't use solenoids, or Isolators.

I believe You will need a dc to dc charger.

Highdesertranger

Oh! Wow, I did not know that. Ty, off to go find out what it is to use a dc to dc charger. This is all so new to me, I feel so lost most of the time. I'm really glad to have this group

Don't quote me on this, but lithium batteries need a higher voltage to charge, thus the need for a DC-DC charger.
There is an isolator for lithium batteries however, I'd looked in to them a few months back when I was piecing my system together but don't recollect what I found.
I ended up going with a charger that can charge either from my engine or solar.
Here's the isolator: https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Born-Batteries-Lithium-Isolation/dp/B07DY8S815
I want to say there's a non Battle Born version that's a little cheaper.
Here's what I ended up buying: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XPG97H7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have yet to use it, I'm dragging butt on my build.

Yep, you need a DC to DC charger for lithium batteries, as they are designed to take as many amps as possible all at once. Alternators are made for lead acid, which natural take a long time to charge. Since lithiums charge like 10 times faster, they will suck the power out of the alternator, causing it to be overloaded and blow up. The DC to DC charger is designed to limit the amount of power that the lithium will charge at depending on how much power is available.

Uncle Todo said:
Don't quote me on this, but lithium batteries need a higher voltage to charge, thus the need for a DC-DC charger.
There is an isolator for lithium batteries however, I'd looked in to them a few months back when I was piecing my system together but don't recollect what I found.
I ended up going with a charger that can charge either from my engine or solar.
Here's the isolator: https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Born-Batteries-Lithium-Isolation/dp/B07DY8S815
I want to say there's a non Battle Born version that's a little cheaper.
Here's what I ended up buying: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XPG97H7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have yet to use it, I'm dragging butt on my build.
Why did you choose the Kisar over renogy?

Yea, Renogy really drops the ball on the customer service. I've used their MPPT charge controllers and pure sine inverters without issues, but if you have a question about something? Haha, just give up before you start. I've since gone team blue. Victron all the way on everything. Never been happier...

Victron makes some of the best stuff for RV's and campers and trailers for incorporating lithium batteries safely. I would highly recommend their DC to DC charger.

Oh wow, they are crazy expensive. I'll just have to rely on what solar I can get and shore power when I can did it. Thanks everyone

Also just to point out whether using an isolator with lead acid OR DC-DC with lithium just idling the engine isnt the same as highway driving. I'd imagine DC-DC would be a lil more efficient but your idling engine isnt the same as running a generator.

It takes driving and lots of it to charge.

Yes thank you, I will be driving quite a bit so I wanted to take advantage of it but I do have a 250w solar panel so I will just need to follow the sun ☀️?

I'm assuming the lower the amps the slower the charge? I'm afraid that cheap would do no more than just plugging into my cigarette lighter?