Transit Connect (2016) Renogy DC DC Charger Install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow will be getting in the new wiring, crimping tool and 4 awg ring connectors, and a grommet. This will be my lesson not to take shortcuts doing electrical stuff … here is the carnage and I can see obvious problems (oversized ring terminal connector for the wire, exposed wire) now that I’ve learned a little bit.

Now that I inspected it a bit closer, can see there was some melting on the other side too and the wire is a bit scorch looking.

This time around everything will be done right.

Attachments

• EB94F2A8-9502-485A-BBC2-D34AC1EB1B1F.jpeg
    EB94F2A8-9502-485A-BBC2-D34AC1EB1B1F.jpeg
    893.4 KB · Views: 1
You should get some shrink tubing to cover where the wires go into the connectors.

Yep as mentioned...

You can see oxidation in two places...kind've greenish tinted 'residue' on the copper wire near the crimp at the bottom and what looks like a coating of oxidation on the top tab of the ANL fuse.

Oxidation is your enemy when it comes to electrical connections.

Reinstalled and with good crimps / 6 gauge (thought I ordered 4 gauge, doh … however the manual says it’s fine if the wire run is on the shorter side of 21-30 ft … which it is) plus heat shrink. Everything is working again, but I’ll definitely be monitoring it much more closely this time around

Also going to redo the wiring for my Maxx fan because it has some similar loose connector issues, and add in some more fuses in places I scrimped before, thinking nothing bad will happen (idiot).

I have learned the same lesson. Don't use inferior wire connectors. And just because you spend more money on the connectors doesn't mean you're getting a better connector. Stick with the known brands like 3M etc. Don't risk all your labor and possible parts to save 10 cents on a couple of connectors.