Oliver Travel Trailers - anyone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgorila1

Reaction score
Anyone own or ever checked out Oliver Travel Trailers? They are supposed to be the high end version of all fiberglass "egg" trailers and high quality from everything I've read. I've never had a chance to see one since they are direct from the factory purchased and the high price tag (approx $40-$50k) deters the average weekend user. I think I would consider one for full time living though based on the reputation for durability and quality.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/

They are, in fact, very high quality and the folks who've had them really like them... right up until they sell them because they're too small and folks have too much tied up in them. There are a LOT of really nice RVs out there in a similar price range... and you can buy a LOT of used trailer for the price of a new one. The other thing is that you're not really gaining much with them because they're NOT light weight. And you can find four season Bigfoot fiberglass trailers all day long for half of the cost of an Oliver.

Keep in mind that Oliver was producing trailers and then stopped for a few years and are now producing again. To me, price exceeds value. I do, however, second the statement on Bigfoot Travel Trailers in production for quite some time and a true 4 season trailer, used ones get grabbed up pretty quick too! Oliver, IMHO, has not passed the "test of time" as yet, actually a few years from that. I suspect like most factory direct sales, they reward owners who refer customers. I worked at a manufacturer who operated this way and know of others. I don't know, if I recommend something, I don't want to be doing it for a reward when I give a recommendation. Personal preferences of mine that may not be those of others.

hepcat said:
 And you can find four season Bigfoot fiberglass trailers all day long for half of the cost of an Oliver.

I just did some interweb searches on Bigfoot trailers and they cost just as much or more than the Oliver. Even ones that are 15 years old are selling for $30k! Wow!

Dgorila1 said:
I just did some interweb searches on Bigfoot trailers and they cost just as much or more than the Oliver. Even ones that are 15 years old are selling for $30k! Wow!

In 2015, I sold my '06 Bigfoot 25B25RQ with the four seasons package in nearly pristine condition for $22.5k. Unfortunately the cost of new ones has really skyrocketed which is supporting the value of used trailers.  But you can still find good buys...  they're out there.

I think i'd personally rather a Bigfoot myself. They are in about the same price range new. Here's a pretty good deal on a brand new one. But once you get into this ballpark price range, lots of options open up, so i'd probably have trouble deciding exactly which way to go.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Ga...500-Series-Travel-Trailer-25B17.5FB-121573451

Edit, didn't realize that first link was a smaller single axle.

I prefer double axles, and with that the price jumps up
https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Ga...-2500-Series-Travel-Trailer-25B21RB-121635306

I saw a couple at the Walmart in Hohenwald - coming in for the get-together. I spoke to one woman about hers. They look primo, but for that money I'd rather have a used smaller Airstream. By the way, the company's main business is making those easy access fiberglass bathtubs (with the door). They only make relatively few trailers a year, and they are built to order.

I had Airstreams for twenty years, and in fact had a 34' Limited tri-axle, two-door Airstream before I bought the Bigfoot 25. The Bigfoot, in '06 was $32k. I had the Bigfoot for nine years and only sold it when I found my Kodiak chassis Born Free moho. And that was, quite literally, the ONLY RV I would have sold the Bigfoot for. Unlike the Airstream, the Bigfoot was nearly maintenance-free and needed almost no attention the entire time I owned it. My only complaint with it was that it towed harder than the Airstream because of the frontal area... but that wasn't such a big deal. I did have a 15B17CB 17' for a couple of years (while I had the Airstream as well) and liked it so much it caused me to investigate the 25' rear queen.

The trailer that I never really understood was the 21' as shown in that RVTrader link ERLH posted above. Its within a couple of hundred pounds of the 25' trailer and has the same frontal area and tows similarly, but has a MUCH smaller side bed, and has everything really crammed into a small space. It's quite cramped and the 25' feels much more spacious. And there's not much difference in price. I'll take the 25' every time.

For those interested in used fiberglass molded trailers, this is a reliable website as the owner also owns the website for Scamp owners: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/ On any of the trailers, if you have the time to watch and wait, you can score a deal. Best time in colder climates is after Labor Day thru the end of January and all areas will see a slowdown, thus lower prices, in December/January between taxes for individuals and inventory for dealers.

hepcat said:
 It's quite cramped and the 25' feels much more spacious.  And there's not much difference in price.  I'll take the 25' every time.

I saw that one next, i agree, much more spacious for almost the same specs and price

I do like the big foot model that has the full width rear bath. And the low maintenance of the fiberglass trailer is definitely a big plus.

image2.JPGI've had mine for less than a month and I love it. I have the double axle model and opted for practically everything I could think of. Just retired a little over a month ago and looked for an awful long time at every type of vehicle (except class A's & 5er's, just too much for me) and honestly it wasn't love at 1st sight, not a fan of stark white interiors. I love Airstreams and was pretty sure I was going to buy one but there were issues that had me concerned. So I gave it another look and never looked back. It's a great boondocking trailer but the 32.5 gal fresh water needs to be doubled and could easily be if you opt for a compost toilet (which I did), eliminating the black tank (alas they can't do this). But, I do love the high ground clearance and it seems to be built very rugged and durable. Which is good 'cause I'm planning for a long retirement.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 15
IanC said:
I saw a couple at the Walmart in Hohenwald - coming in for the get-together. I spoke to one woman about hers.  They look primo, but for that money I'd rather have a used smaller Airstream.  By the way, the company's main business is making those easy access fiberglass bathtubs (with the door).  They only make relatively few trailers a year, and they are built to order.

I called their sales department to inquire about their trailers several months ago. They have really spiked immensely. They are breaking their sales records every month by 200%. They are doing something right and I just love their trailers. I went to their rally and everyone is so caring and supporting of their customers. 

I am a member as well of their forums and they take personal care of each and every customer, something that most manufacturers just do not do these days. Everything seems to be so cookie cutter and you have to deal with a dealership who then has to deal with the manufacturer only to later hear back that they will not help fix something or even give support. 

I will always pay for quality, hands down, can't beat it. 

They have another rally coming up at Lake Guntersville State Park. 
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/rally/

My Oliver is coming up! Woohoo.