ok so here it is

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tink

Reaction score
My name is Tink, I am a 47 year old man and I have a very varied background. I am due to go back under the surgeons&nbsp;scalpel&nbsp;on the 31st of this month. I have been in a 20 + year marriage and have a wonderful daughter to show for it. I feel the relationship with my wife has gone stale over the years and I am seriously eyeing a new lifestyle as a rubber tramp. I have been a&nbsp;gypsy&nbsp;the biggest part of my life and I have started from less than scratch several times in the past.<br />I&nbsp;currently&nbsp;have no debt and I am on a fixed income due to a motorcycle wreck in 2003 that has left my right leg looking like a train wreck. I now subside on SS disability. I have a decent 1996 ford&nbsp;hi-top&nbsp;conversion van and I also have at my disposal a 1994 24' class C ford based&nbsp;motor home. The van will need the usual things to make it livable the class c is pretty much ready to go but has a roof leak that needs attention. once again everything I am listing is paid for and in my name, I also have a Yamaha Rhino and a few various trailers both open and enclosed, I also still have a 1948 Harley that I built years ago. (member of the family now)&nbsp;<br />The van with full load will likely get around 10 to 13 mpg, with a trailer behind it.<br />the&nbsp;motor home&nbsp;gets about 8 to 10 in any&nbsp;configuration.&nbsp;<br />I want to possibly trade my rhino for a Jeep to tow (traded a jeep for the rhino to start with lol), and possibly carry a moped/scooter on a front rack for cheap transport when parked. I for see a lot of&nbsp;boon docking&nbsp;in my future if things rock on like they are, I just need to get away.<br />I guess what I wanna know is if you had the class C at your disposal even though it needs some minor repair would you do that instead of trying to convert a van?&nbsp;<br />I made a post sometime back about using a small enclosed trailer as a "tender" like behind a steam engine, holding a genset, water tank, propane, etc.&nbsp;<br /><br />All of my plans which ever way I go will involve minor&nbsp;cash&nbsp;output, I have learned to trade for what I want, works much better.<br />Oh on a side note I do intend to carry a respectable arsenal in what ever I choose.

I'd go with the C - more room, all systems already in place, and once you locate the leak, it's not a difficult fix&nbsp;in all likelihood.&nbsp; If you can build a Harley then you can repair a leak.&nbsp; Just check for any structural damage.&nbsp; Outfitting a van will be more work.<br /><br />You may have other concerns, like stealth or mileage.&nbsp; In the end, where you plan to live and how much you plan to drive will affect your decision.<br /><br />Good luck.

Hi Tink, welcome. <br />Sorry to hear of your wreck. Good to get SS tho and that is a blessing regarding steady income..lots of folks live on what they make that way.<br /><br />Seraphim said it all...you are the only one who knows what you will be doing. <br /><br />The C would be luxurious but a killer to move around a lot. The van way better for mobility.<br /><br />There is always a lot of talk on here about "stealth"and that just means that you don't want to get hassled. <br /><br />I look at my own experiences as well as others who have been doing this a long time and find that "stealth" can be achieved many ways including being obvious.<br /><br />We had a friend on here...Mar.....who, for three years, traveled the entire US and part of Mexico in a nice Class C and almost never paid for a spot to camp. Most of her overnights were in an urban environment and she says she was never hassled. She would just find a parking lot that felt right and park for the night....no fuss, no muss. <br /><br />In other words you can be "stealth" in anything. It is more a state of mind and ability to fit in or at least look harmless.<br /><br />Be very cautious about arsenals and be sure to follow federal and state guidelines to the letter. There are not many things that can get you in more trouble than guns. Not saying you shouldn't have them, just be intelligent about it.<br />Cheers,<br />Bri

Hi Tink and welcome.<br /><strong><span style="color: #ff00ff;">Dragonfly</span></strong>

Welcome Tink.&nbsp;&nbsp; Everyone has offered some good advice; I'd like to offer some insight.&nbsp; You want to travel but with what you have, it will be quite a load, expensive, and not stealth.&nbsp; You may want to get a storage area for the family member (Harley) and other items too precious or dangerous to part with (the arsenol can cause you to lose it all if caught with it in some state that restricts their use).&nbsp; Do your stealthing and life investigation work for a while and when you've come to the conclusion of what you really want, either retrieve your stored items or sell.&nbsp; What people see as valuable and indispensible today may have no value tomorrow.&nbsp; This will give you the time to "figure it out" while on your journey.&nbsp; (This is the advice I'm giving myself!)/Rae<br /><br />

Hi Tink, you have been given some great advice by some well seasoned travelers. My " van" is my avitar, a green minibus. Couldn't loose it in a parking lot if you wanted to... and yet I have" stealth" camped many times, mainly by just pulling up , parking and not running a genny, setting out lawn chairs and firing up the barbie... It has also gotten me into some places 10 miles from the nearest paved road, places nice , shiney, class c's almost never tread. Like you, I have several avenues available, all paid for. I have a small ( 14') antique travel trailer that is mostly rebuilt. I use that when my wife and I go out camping. My bus was built as a " contractors work out of town van" ( Bk2 valve reffered to it as a " working mans lair", quite fitting, lol) and is a perfect fit for me alone. If the whole family goes, we have two large cabin tents. If I REALLY want to get away, I pack my backpack, and hit a trail. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, my rigs were bought cheap and ( re)built over time. I have a full time job, part time business, and a family, so a couple years at least before I could go full-time. What I take when I go depends on what kind of experience I
want to have. And like you, I have started over from ground zero a handful of times, but would
prefer not to again, if it can be avoided. I guess what I'm saying is weigh your options carefully and make the best informed decision you can. If all things were equal between us , I'd probably sell the van and rhino for traveling cash and take the c for room and comforts, carrying or towing the harley for better gas mileage ( and dont forget " cool" factor). As said, other things could be stored or converted to cash as needed.
Take care-
Les