Off topic posts split from "How do u live on $700/month, truly?"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something is off on this video in the financials. something is off on this video in the financials. of course she has 'other checks' coming so we don't know her 'true financials' at all here.....plus took SS at age 62, early? so is she on 'medicaid' now because nothing is mentioned about health ins. and she is only 64.....like 2 yrs prior she had to have some medical happening? So when she hits medicare which is sooner than later her money won't even cover her medicare cost??
I'll say it again... if you are below the poverty line (~$15k/yr), you can get free Medicaid in any state that "expanded" this under Obamacare. Most do. When she turns 65 she'll probably need to get Medicare, but that will be free also... and better since it will be national. Plus food stamps. For some people there would be more assistance. But free medical and dental, free food, plus SS (even the minimum)... should be enough for just about anyone to live this way.

I'll say it again... if you are below the poverty line (~$15k/yr), you can get free Medicaid in any state that "expanded" this under Obamacare. Most do. When she turns 65 she'll probably need to get Medicare, but that will be free also... and better since it will be national. Plus food stamps. For some people there would be more assistance. But free medical and dental, free food, plus SS (even the minimum)... should be enough for just about anyone to live this way.
and you KNOW this is HER in this video and HER LIFE?

Medicare is not free -- some parts are and others are not). I pay >$150/month just for the basics; those "supplemental" plans are totally out of my reach.

Dental is for d@mn sure not free. (excuse me, I feel a mysterious need to cuss every time I think about dentistry)

Medicare may be a "national" program but it is linked to the county you live in (not just the state). You move, you have to re-enroll (and may or may not get the same plan).

Sometimes on these threads people have a tendency to think about scarce resources, that are available to some of the people who need them, after a great deal of both effort and luck ... as if these were like apples that everyone could just pluck off a tree somewhere.

At the risk of getting dinged for "bickering" again, could we please keep this reality-based?

The last thing anyone needs who may be truly in need is to get their hopes raised and dashed unnecessarily, or to get sent off on a wild goose chase.

To anyone who is listening in and wondering -- I mean, I hope nobody here has their back to the wall right now, but just in case -- a good question to ask is always "And have you done that? And how did it work out for you? Details please!" And consider anything you hear here (including from me) as a starting point in your quest, not an end point.

Since I am relatively healthy I wouldn't feel right about allowing other people to provide my food and other necessities. I'm retired but if I lost everything I would find a job if need be. Or, more likely, just downsize further. (Yes I collect social security and will be on medicare next year but I paid into those programs for 40+ years.) I would rather leave those other programs for people who need a leg up or who have disabilities.

A lady told me one time she had to go to the food bank because her cable bill was so high. Yeah well, I cancelled my cable a long time ago when I had a house so I could buy food.

and you KNOW this is HER in this video and HER LIFE?
Of course not, but it could be. And it answers your objections.

Medicare is not free -- some parts are and others are not). I pay >$150/month just for the basics; those "supplemental" plans are totally out of my reach.

Dental is for d@mn sure not free. (excuse me, I feel a mysterious need to cuss every time I think about dentistry)
Both are free if you are below the poverty line. Are you? At least that is true in NM and OR... I haven't done a survey, so I don't know about all of them. We are talking about mobile living here, so you can pick your location.

It's sad IMO, but people with income below the poverty line will often live better than people who make well above it. None of us made these silly rules though, we just have to live with them.

I'm not poor and I pay lots of taxes... but, I have zero judgement against people living cheap and getting all the benefits the government is willing to hand out. It's a pittance in the grand scheme of things, and if people can find some piece and freedom in that situation, then more power to them. I feel sorry for people who have to work hard for crap wages, and that is an issue I'd like to see fixed. It wasn't true 50 years ago, and it doesn't need to be true now. I reserve ire for the people making multi-millions while they do nothing but harm to our society.

Universal health care, a livable minimum wage and a low cost housing solution would go a long way to solving a lot of problems. This site has been a great resource for me in solving the housing aspect and that led to better paying jobs. Too bad the community can’t afford to get a group health care insurance plan!

I live under the poverty line and have qualified for everything from medical, a little dental (not much) glasses, hearing etc…but food? At one time it was cut down to $40 mo, now it’s $70…better than a sharp stick in the eye but hardly free food.

I live under the poverty line and have qualified for everything from medical, a little dental (not much) glasses, hearing etc…but food? At one time it was cut down to $40 mo, now it’s $70…better than a sharp stick in the eye but hardly free food.
Maybe you are too close to the line? Buddy in OR gets I think $250/mo for food? At any rate it's more than he can use so he buys food for other people. It varies a lot by state. Last year it varied from $121 to $430/mo depending on the state, and there will be a 12.5% increase this month.

https://www.the-sun.com/money/4450441/food-stamps-snap-how-much-state/

Medicare may be a "national" program but it is linked to the county you live in (not just the state). You move, you have to re-enroll (and may or may not get the same plan).
You must be referring to Medicare Advantage plans. If you have regular Medicare, it is nationwide. If you have signed up for Social Security you'll be automatically enrolled in Medicare when you turn 65, but given the option to go for an Advantage plan instead. They have advantages and disadvantages, the main disadvantage means they are tied to geography.

You must be referring to Medicare Advantage plans.
Nope -- like I said, I can't afford those.
It's probably the drug part.

Respectfully, guys, I think you've made some good points on some of the details, but there's a lot of reality still sliding through the cracks here and I'm not up for arguing about it. You've got a right to your opinions but, unless you were very lucky, I think you'd find reality tougher to navigate than theory.

I ate great the year I was on food stamps, too, but not everybody does. It depends on where you fall in the formula. Our social safety net is not exactly famous for its simplicity or predictability.

Just read a few of the latest posts of people living on $1,200 or less and realize you will have a difficult time living in an older vehicle that needs to move on a regular basis with fuel and maintenance costs. Proving you are a resident can be a problem which I imagine is a requirement for many of the social programs as most are administered by the state you are a resident of since most trailer lots are over $500 a month plus utilities. There are lots of YouTube videos of Tucson homeless where many of us spend time and in the areas where we go for the winter. It doesn’t look to me that these people are surviving very well living in the washes and sidewalks. With the number we are seeing there must be some pretty big cracks in the safety net but probably more like it is overflowing. As stated before there are lots living just above the maximum income to qualify for many of these programs that will suffer an emergency so no help for them while they wait months for help to kick in apparently. Are there aid organizations to help them navigate the system? My wife was lucky to find out about SHIP as she is getting ready to go on Medicare. How many people never find out about organizations like this and end up bankrupt and on the streets due to medical expenses, never able to get ahead due to poor credit ratings caused by it?

Last edited:
I talk to many nomads who will state (well, actually gripe or complain) that they're living on a "fixed income." Upon further inquiry they "get by" on $2k, have a home base somewhere - or storage with stuff.
How they manage to have no money left at the end of the month is beyond me.
What I would like to know is how you, dear reader, live on, say $700/month. Period.
Not after house/car payment, not "after" whatever.
Let's say you're a healthy senior on original Medicare, with no more than the $700 of SSI (after Part B withholding).
ALL your expenses come out of that amount, yes, food and drink, gas and vehicle insurance/maintenance (van or small RV, paid for), CC and other fees, clothing, everything.
How do you live with any degree of comfort on that?

I just turned 64 and am on the cusp of going with a smaller fixed income and using Medicare as health insurance. Planning on working until May of 2023 when I'll be 65 and living in my van full time after that. My retirement investments are 401k style rather than a pension. Starting to try to figure this all out. I'm guessing my 401k savings is counted against receiving any government subsidies even though I don't have any arrangements such as an annuity that translates into monthly income. Trying to wait until 66 to take S.S. as its a more substantial monthly amount by then.

After turning 64 I've been bombarded by private special interest messaging advising me what to do. But I'm guessing most of that is more in their best interest than in mine. I'd be interested in any sources of information, government websites, groups such as AARP, etc. others have found useful for developing a strategy to best utilize available resources.
401K's aren't doing as well as they use to. Stock market is tanking and a recession is on the horizon. Its sad to watch the country to go this way but its been in the works for a while now.

something is off on this video in the financials. of course she has 'other checks' coming so we don't know her 'true financials' at all here.....plus took SS at age 62, early? so is she on 'medicaid' now because nothing is mentioned about health ins. and she is only 64.....like 2 yrs prior she had to have some medical happening? So when she hits medicare which is sooner than later her money won't even cover her medicare cost?? I don't know.....I believe when people do 'videos' on their 'existence and financials' in van life we NEVER hear ALL the financial truths at all. I know it can be tight but I always always give alot of 'hmmmm' in watching this stuff.

in full truth I swear it is more like a 'commercial for that safe parking pass lot' in a way LOL But it is cool she is doing well obviously.
Gotta agree, I remain skeptical on tons of such posts/videos because so often so much is either minimized or left out entirely ... even past that, no room is left for even the most casual unexpected event -- and unmanageable unexpected events are absolutely routine in the lives of the financially hard-pressed. That is, the better-off can easily weather them to the extent that they don't even seem worth a mention, from some dental work to a few truck repairs to ... well, y'all know where I'm going there ...

In my state it's a lottery that can take years to get on.

Since I am relatively healthy I wouldn't feel right about allowing other people to provide my food and other necessities. I'm retired but if I lost everything I would find a job if need be. Or, more likely, just downsize further. (Yes I collect social security and will be on medicare next year but I paid into those programs for 40+ years.) I would rather leave those other programs for people who need a leg up or who have disabilities.

A lady told me one time she had to go to the food bank because her cable bill was so high. Yeah well, I cancelled my cable a long time ago when I had a house so I could buy food.
Usually posts like this smack way too much of the sort of Polyanna "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps!" anti-caring banality, but I have to admit, you're right on the money here. I don't want to hold people to account for things that are not their fault, but ... it's also fair to hold them to account SOMEtimes.

I haven't had cable in years and honestly haven't missed it.. It's ENORMOUSLY expensive!!! and unnecessarily so. Youtube is free and has more than enough watchables than anyone could get through -- and that's in a single day's postings. If you're into Amazon Prime, same. Netflix, same. HBO, Paramount, yadda yadda, you can pick and choose your free, 10 or 15 or 20/mo. offerings as you see fit ... but it will be WAY cheaper than cable. Nobody NEEDS cable. I got my absolutely stuck on everything in the past mother off cable and she's grateful and saves thousands a year. Cable is such a huge waste!

Get everyone off it as soon as you possibly can, Dear Friends!

I love my cable. No one is gonna make me ditch it LOL
but see in life I won't buy other services or buy just crap. I am super frugal type anyway in that I would rather not have crap I don't give one thought about but I know what I do want. I want my cable HAHA

Nice thing in life is choices and options. So much to have all the time if the $$ allows but in the end, we could be rollin' in dough and there still isn't going to be crap/services I buy cause I got that frugal bone in me nor I have 0 interest in it. :) Alot of times I have 0 interest in it.
People mention products and services and more and say do ya like it, got one? and I am like, nope, not gonna either and have no interest in that crap. I also am a minimalist type personality so that helps. Less is more is always a mantra I stand by for me. Now my hubby, omg he is a buyer! he sees shiny new things and wants them, yea he is one of those HAHA

I know I live without tons of stuff. being a minimalist personality I take care of that myself but no one is getting my cable HAHA

I never kept up with the Jones' cause they own too much crap for me LOL

see I won't buy gadgets for cooking. omg clutter is a nightmare, I have one of the barest spaces I think maybe in our rv. Hubby tries to hoard it up and I keep making sure that doesn't happen :) Outside the rv is a rug and chair and a small table.....that is all I do....then comes hubby doing the rest and I try so hard to shut him down a bit but omgosh he wants to just pile out the stuff. we are mutt and jeff, hoarder type and minimalist but it works :)

[re -- televisionprogramming]
... banality...
Get everyone off...
The last time we owned a television set was sometime last century.
We have zero interest in televisionprogramming.
The lobby of the gym has a big-screen.
I occasionally glance at the programming as I pass.
The phrase 'insulting to my intelligence' seems appropriate...