ObamaCare Medicaid States

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet-beaver

Reaction score
I see many people bashing Obamacare. Here are few tips to help you get on it. For those that are on super low income.

If you make less than

Single = $16,105
Couple = $21,707
3 people = $27,310
4 people = $32,913

You will get Medicaid for free that pays almost 100% of all medical/dental and vision bills but you have to reside in these states: (Other states you get nothing unless your income is over the above numbers)

Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

Nevada, New Hampshire and Washington are tax free states which makes them perfect for full time residence. Nevada is the most friendly with vehicle tags and inspections.

If you make less than those numbers above and live in a state that not listed, you may want to add more income to your income tax to qualify for Subsidies. Simply add $2000 cash for painting houses to get you over the numbers. The tax on that money will be very little compare to 6-8K subsidy you will get for a single person to pay for a Silver plan.

For example, if you are single and you bump your income to $16,150, the Silver plan will cost you $3,140 and you will receive subsidy of $2,580. Depending how much income you have to inflate, this may help you out.

For those that are on super low income.

If you make less than
Single = $16,105

Around here $16,000/year is not considered super-low income.

Planet-beaver, thank you very much for that info!

Last year I was overwhelmed with the whole thing so I did nothing. This year the penalties are pretty high so I need to get health insurance. It looks like I qualify for a subsidy of $303 per month so come Nov 15 I'll see what I can get.

Thanks again for that information, it's very helpful.
Bob

Shoot, if I knocked down 16 grand a year, I'd think I was almost rich. Also, Florida will give Medicaid to those who qualify for it, but good luck getting any kind of decent services when you only have Medicaid for your medical coverage. I gave up and haven't seen a doctor in around two years.

I'm on medicaid here in Ohio and I have a wonderful Dr. and fast services. I have a thyroid scan soon and am finally on meds that seem to be working and I'm not exhausted all the time anymore. I am so grateful for this.

I know many people on Medicaid and they are happy with care they get. My uncle had his teeth pulled and got $2600 dentures all for $80. His spend down for a year is $320, after that Medicaid pays everything 100%. Lamost all doctors take Medicaid so I don't understand people claiming that they can't see a doctor.

same here in new york. had a heart attack last december and didn.t have to pay a dime. its the closest thing to universal health care we.re likely to see in a long time. i.m incredibly grateful!

i.ll be migrating to florida in afew weeks. does anyone know if medicaid covers your meds when out of state?

cheers

I can think of one reason why <i> some </i>people might say they can't find a <i> good</i> doctor. When I went on Medicaid, the local for-profit mega-hospital I went to in High School/College didn't take Medicaid. However, the "poor people" (read: Black people) clinic welcomed me with open arms and a Zero dollar co-pay. For someone who who is <i>ahem</i> unaccustomed to seeing poor black people in their Doctor's waiting area, they may feel they're not "getting the care they deserve."

Just a thought.

Just so you know, the new Obamacare version of Medicaid is different than the old Medicaid. To qualify for the old Medicaid you had to be poor with limited assets, limited income and in many states disabled.

The new Obamacare Medicaid in States listed in my original post, you can have million dollar in 401K, a house, 5 cars and as long as your income does not go ever the numbers listed above, you will qualify for free Medicaid. This was always the biggest problem as you had to be broke to get Medicaid. People use to hide assets, have cars registered to other family members, keep cash in the security box vs saving account, etc. Not any more. They changed that knowing that very few people would qualify and Obamacare would flap.

So if you are a vandweller, workcamping, making tiny amount of money or working for cash, change you address to a state that has free Medicaid and you will pay nothing for it. Even in states that do have income tax, if your income is low, most likely you will pay no state and federal taxes anyways.

I've got "free" "full" health coverage in Oregon. In practice, it is emergancy only, since to go to a regular doctors apointment (if I could get them to return my calls to arange one) I would have to travel to where my "residence" is. This summer, it would have only been 300 miles each way, on the other end of the state.

I have no beef with people of any color. I'm talking about clinics where the main job of every employee is CYA. The next clinic doesn't deal with "pain management" at all and all the clinics I've tried to check out say the same. And/or there is a 90 day waiting period before I could get an appointment. And I'm not a druggie type person. The only "drugs" I'll let them give me is a very low dose Xanax. Opioids Make me sick and put me in bed so I won't even have them around (for my own use)since my wife passed. She used to take them.
Also, the last time I went to the clinic for a follow up on some inhalers they prescribed, that make my anxiety max out, I had an appointment and they kept taking walk ins for three hours, without calling me, before I walked out. And yes, I did, repeatedly made my presence known and that I had an appointment.

This is all why I need to move to another state and set up residence before I go vagabond van dweller. Good notes. Likely will shift some when the next congress gets in with president change.

planet-beaver said:
I know many people on Medicaid and they are happy with care they get. My uncle had his teeth pulled and got $2600 dentures all for $80. His spend down for a year is $320, after that Medicaid pays everything 100%. Lamost all doctors take Medicaid so I don't understand people claiming that they can't see a doctor.

Curious, what part of the country or state was that?

In some states there is a doctor shortage so they can turn down Medicaid patients because they are extra paperwork and lower pay. In some states there is an abundance of doctors so they can't' afford to turn away a patient.

My mom is on Medicaid and lives in Florida and Medicaid works wonderfully for her there. She has great doctors and she never pays a penny.
Bob