Now I've gone and done it!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely you'll know!! I remember posting about Juanita before I bought her! I started the post with, "I hope I'm not jinxing myself but"!! I was just positive she was made for me to live in! LOL

mothercoder said:
And...I  wasn't feeling it.  I know that some people pooh-pooh the idea, but I think that when I walk into an RV,  i'll know it's the right one.

I say "Go With Your Gut".   In any type of situation when I get that quezy "something isn't right about this" feeling.......I walk away.....quickly.

I found the posting for my Aliner on CL in the middle of the night just hours after it was put there.  I'd never even been in one, had no money for a down payment, credit iffy for the loan.......I called the dealership and told him what I had to trade and the money situation.  He said if I'd bring pictures and see if I could set the Aliner up by myself and wanted it we'd talk.  I could set it up by myself & I'd been honest about the work the Viking needed and had taken pics of everything.  He gave me a trade in amount that was almost 3 times what I'd paid for it :D    The bank approved my loan.  I took the Viking down to Fl and went back a week later and dragged [towed] my Aliner back to Aladambama.  :D 

I'd looked for weeks for something small that I could afford and my Ranger would pull.  
When I saw the listing I wanted it right that minute......When I could raise it by myself I was bound and determined to try to get it.

Don't give up hope...you'll know when you find it......be sure and jump up and down on the floor looking for weak spots.  If you fall threw don't buy that one.........Unless you get a really good deal ;)

Jewellann

I'm glad I passed and I just know I'll find what I want. What upsets me is the seller has listed it again with the same falsehoods. The wife (she's the true owner) told me they went ahead and bought new tires to see if that changed my mind and I wanted to come back (it didn't and I don't) but she said she spent $120 on 4 tires! I had asked her to reduce the price $400-500 and I'd get the new tires but she said they wouldn't cost that much. Well no...I guess if you get cheap used tires, they won't cost that much. But when I'm towing 3,000 lbs down the highway, I want good tires. I kind of value my life that way. They also didn't share anything about the rot and the mice infestation. It upsets me when people aren't honest and pass their problems on to someone else.

You did the right thing, that sounded like a cheat situation. 4 used tires from some side of the road place bubble balanced would be that price, and they could be all wrong for that trailer too, or really old.

Trust your "gut" or feminine instincts...

Next time see if you can either preview some YouTube videos on how to inspect a trailer or take an rv person with you, preferably a trailer owner who'se been through a couple of them.
I got cheated on my first class C many years ago because I was nieve. Now if I went along with someone, I'd have a lot more to say!

It will happen, you learned a lesson and thankfully didnt have to shell out rv inspector money to do it.

Replacing floor rot is not a fun job. If it has floor rot I would pass for sure. You'll spend far more replacing it then the $100 you would lose. I think the trailer sounds lite enough as another said if you take it slow and leave a lot of room between you and the car ahead you'll be fine driving it home.

Christine

I think you made a good call passing on that. If the owners wouldn't hesitate to slapp cheap used tires on it who knows what other cheap fixs have been done!

Good luck with your hunting!

You absolutely did the right thing going with your gut and passing on the trailer. I way over paid for a camper about 2 months ago. I hold myself to blame though for believing the guy when he assured me everything worked great. Life lesson!

Latest posts