Now I've gone and done it!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
Well...I think I'm buying my nomad home. I put a deposit down for them to hold it because...I haven't even seen it yet!!  LOL  After all the talk about vans and cargo trailers, I went and fell in love with a 1972 Shasta Starflyte! 

From what I can tell, the interior is in incredibly good shape and I'm told all the systems work. It has a wet bath. All the jalosied windows are complete and work. The exterior paint job could use refreshing. It does need tires. Right now it has newer car tires on it. It's missing its wings. All the exterior lights appear to be the originals. 

I will go Friday or Saturday to look at it and bring it home if it's everything I hope it is. I can spend the next 10 months working on it until I retire. If it's not as the pictures depict, well then I've spent a day driving there and back, has money and forfeited a $100 deposit. I can live with that. 

I don't think it's hit me yet that this could be it. I knew I wouldn't be in a contemporary RV. That's just not me. It was either going to be a van, converted cargo trailer or something funky like this canned ham.

Sounds exciting! Good luck! I've been looking at the retro/vintage styles.

Kewl!

I hope it works out for you.

I see they have come out with some newly manufactured retro trailers based on those....

All of us baby-boomers like that stuff!

:) I like those older TT.  I actually worked on a Shasta build line in TX in the '70s.  Have you got your tow vehicle ready to bring it home?

Have A Safe Trip

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
:) I like those older TT.  I actually worked on a Shasta build line in TX in the '70s.  Have you got your tow vehicle ready to bring it home?

Have A Safe Trip

Jewellann

Yep. 2001 Chevy Suburban.  Should be able to handle it. I don't have a brake controller and  that worries me because I will be going 200 miles to get home.  I'm sure I will be white knuckled and staring out the rearview mirror the entire drive home

Just take it slow and easy.

Keep your eyes far enough ahead of you that you can react to anything ahead before you get there.

My mom had a 60's Serro Scotty t trailer.
It was so cool !

I know some folks in Kentucky that rescue and restore old TTs and always go for a 50's-60's look interior.

Hope it's the one for you !

And...now I'm having doubts. I just read a couple stories about campers falling apart on the highway because of rot. I suspect this one may have some (most do) and the seller said there was a 6-8" section in a corner that was stained and possibly some warping under the table against the wall. I have a lot of gumption and I'm not afraid of a challenge but I'm not capable of restoring a camper or shoring it up in the middle of I-83 to get it home. Is the answer to stop reading horror stories and hope for the best? Ending up with a pile of rubble on the freeway in rural PA isn't something I can afford.

I think a small amount of rot is almost to be expected. When the guy repairing my self inflicted dent repaired it he said there was a small amount of rot that was easily replaced.

If you can go through the camper and look for sagging walls or areas in the roof, push on the wall panels and check for sponginess. A major rot problem would be expensive and probably require someone with woodworking knowledge, a minor problem could be handled by an ordinary repair person.

I know of one lady (she is the one that recommended the repair place to me) who travels extensively in a smaller, older trailer with few problems.

No guarantees, but if you get it make sure you havethe right hitch combination (ask me how I know) and just be careful.

Good Luck.

I feel a bit better after reading more, especially Larry's stuff from mobiltec (YT). I'll check as throughly as I can and then try to determine what I'm in for. With my shoulder replacement still healing, getting down on the ground will not be happening. But I'll get a selfie stick to get under carriage pictures.

I'm heading over to Harbor Freight soon. I'm going to get an adjustable hitch mount and a 2" ball that's the size the seller says it takes. But if she's wrong, she said I can have the ball they towed it with. I'm also taking a set of magnetic tail lights in case the electric hook up is funky. I'm told it's a 7 pin and so is my Suburban. But I'd rather be safe.

I plan on staying the night somewhere instead of trying to tow it back on the same day.

Crossing fingers that it's camp worthy and that I can spread out any repairs needed.

Oh and I found a great storage facility that also does service & repairs. They have a dump station, water, propane and they say they have electric. If that's close enough to my slot, I'll be able to use it when needed for minor repairs. They allow you to do minor work there like interior painting, flooring, plumbing, etc. but no major repairs. Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart are all close by. It's an hour from my house but that's okay. The places closer to me place trailers in parallel parking in small spaces. This place uses angled spaces and the area around them is open for maneuvering (thank you google earth).

That's a tough one, but I sure do get it! I certainly had to have a bunch of faith to buy a 1993 Ford Club Wagon :)

Well I checked with NRVIA for an inspector in the area but even going 150 miles out, there's no one. It's up to me!

Got anyone you could skype or facetime with on-scene?

Show them, live, what things look like and get some feedback from someone who has some idea of what to look for.

Yes it would be weird, but also fun...and it might be helpful...

Itx2sturgis said:
Got anyone you could skype or facetime with on-scene?

Show them, live, what things look like and get some feedback from someone who has some idea of what to look for.

Yes it would be weird, but also fun...and it might be helpful...

No. No one that really knows anything about trailers, vintage or otherwise.

so the trailer is in pennsylvania ?

maybe make a post asking if anyone is in the area that can go with you?

CautionToTheWind said:
I'm going to PM you...

Thanks. I responded. I'm heading to bed now but I'll check in the morning and enroute.

I passed on the trailer. The tires were basically flat with no way to inflate them. Even if I wanted to stick around and pay $500 to get tires put on, I would've had to have it towed somewhere and they were unwilling to come down on the price for that. There was a good amount of rot under the dinette seats. And...I wasn't feeling it. I know that some people pooh-pooh the idea, but I think that when I walk into an RV, i'll know it's the right one.

Latest posts