Northeast Gatherings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRockSpeaker

Reaction score
Hi guys! 

After a year of following the teachings of Bob Wells et al, watching vlogs, instructional videos, researching RVs and other vehicles, I have finally submitted my order for a custom-built cargo trailer, which I hope to have outfitted and ready for camping this spring.

While I am not ready for a cross-country trek yet, I am looking for any formal or informal gatherings of like-minded folks here in the northeast.  Anybody know of any, please let me know!

What area of the northeast are you in?
I'm from Vermont, originally, and while I'm in the southwest now, I usually summer in the northeast.
There are a few other New England vandwellers around here.

I'm stuck in New England, indefinitely. I swear, again, this is my absolute last winter here.
I'd love to make a northeast GTG. In reality, the chance of me being able to escape is slim to none. The van is ready to go at the drop of a hat

TMG51 said:
I'm from Vermont, originally, and while I'm in the southwest now, I usually summer in the northeast.

I'm hoping to have a van ready for the summer and spend - at least - part of it in Burlington Vermont. I spent a few years there as a teenager and loved the warm part of the year. I am going to head their first and then figure it out from there.

Check out the thread entitled North East Coast Vandwellers-RTR Anyone?

I missed it but pretty sure they had a GTG last fall.

We snowbird to AZ but live in northern NY the rest if the year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I will reply to my own thread rather than each individual response. I am in upstate NY (Albany area), and would love to go anywhere within a 3-5 hr drive, including NY, New England, etc.  Of course, there is less open land for free camping around here, especially for larger groups.  

Last summer, I stayed at Chenengo Valley State Park outside Binghamton, NY, and was lucky to drive in and secure a site for a night just before a big dog agility event, so I know they're agreeable to events. It's nit free to camp, but rates are quite reasonable ($15-25 a night)  If anyone has suggestions for locations, let's get the party planning started!

GeorgiePorgie said:
I'm hoping to have a van ready for the summer and spend - at least - part of it in Burlington Vermont. I spent a few years there as a teenager and loved the warm part of the year. I am going to head their first and then figure it out from there.

I spend a good amount of my summers around Burlington every year, and I still consider it one of the nicer cities anywhere. Look me up when you're there, and I'll give you some pointers.

3 to 5 hours from Albany, NY. That will not cut it. Pennsylvania, Maryland, or Delaware are more centrally located and do have many festivals and fairs with sleep in your car possibilities.

Hi, everyone, trying to start up this thread again.

I was all set to head to the Smoky Mountains GTG in July, but the organizer has cancelled.  Still looking to get together with some like-minded folks.  Anywhere from Maine to Maryland, from June -October.

Anyone have ideas?

I will be in New York for part of August. Heading south before the cold weather sets in. If you get something set up for the end of August I may be around. 

;)

I will poke around Savage!

I made an inquiry to the SoHi Campground in Accord, NY.   Has great reviews, say they accommodate groups up to 100, not that we'll have that many.

Anybody know anything about it?

Individual camp rates are pricey, but hopefully we can get that down to a reasonable rate.

BigRockSpeaker said:
I will poke around Savage!

I made an inquiry to the SoHi Campground in Accord, NY.   Has great reviews, say they accommodate groups up to 100, not that we'll have that many.

Anybody know anything about it?

Individual camp rates are pricey, but hopefully we can get that down to a reasonable rate.
Not sure if that's the campground exactly, but I was at one in Accord a few years ago. Didn't stay there, just drove a rental car in and poked around a bit. LOVELY area! Woodstock with all it's hiking and sweet cafes, shops, bookstores, etc. is just a 20 minute scenic drive from there.
I'm in Manhattan but would come upstate from here an hour or two gladly. Private message me if you'd like to get together or just talk about planning an RTR Northeast

I did get in contact with  Sohi in Accord. He does not have a separate area for groups, but would just put us all in the same area. He would give us a discounted rate, but not as much  I had hoped for - $37 per night.  A bit too high...maybe "Sohi"?

Another place might be Chenango Valley State Park outside Binghamton, NY. My wife and I stayed there last year, during a dog agility competition, so I know there are groups that stay there, and the fee is relatively inexpensive for individuals....any interest?

Let me know if you plan something for the northeast this summer/fall.  I am back at least for a few months in the NYstate area.  Thanks

I would like to get out in the Northeast as many weekends as possible this summer.  Am leaving tomorrow for western NY to see my brother, flying in from AZ to see his son/my Godson outside Rochester.  I will be staying one night in Gannett Hill Park in Monroe County, one night in my Godson's driveway.

My wife's and my first "official" shakedown of the new trailer will be June 8-10 at Cherry Plain State Park in Poestenkill, NY.  This is the first test to see how our 9 yr old Lab does in the trailer.If anyone will be in the area, let me know!

Western NY (Watkins Glen) is where I grew up! I also spent 10 years in central NY (Schenectady/Albany area).

I, too, spent a big part of my life out there, Binghamton (Endicott) and  Hornell, now living between Albany and the Mass border.

I am very new here.

Currently, I am hanging out in Highpoint, NJ. It is at the intersection of NY, NJ, and PA. 

I grew up in the Lake George area of NY and spent many years in Schenectady, NY. I spent more than half of my life living in New York State, I am very familiar with it and have a love/hate relationship with it.

I would be interested in a gathering if the date and destination were correct.  :blush:

Cheers,
Donna

No-Madder Nomadder said:
I grew up in the Lake George area of NY and spent many years in Schenectady, NY. I spent more than half of my life living in New York State, I am very familiar with it and have a love/hate relationship with it.

I lived in the Schenectady / Albany area from about 1988 through 1995, then back from 1996 to 1998. I too have a love/hate relationship with NY. It was always a struggle there for me to find solid work. But I also grew up there and went to both Watkins Glen and Schenectady schools (Class of 1988).

I currently live in a stick and brick located in Auburn, NY. I grew up in Central NY. I love the Adirondacks. I plan on purchasing a small TT or RV to Snowbird to the SW for winter and Homebase in the NE for summer. I'm almost there. I'm looking to be complete by fall of this year. I can't wait!
I would love to be part of a NE Gathering!