Noobie question about Van vs Class B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm still trying to figure out which way to go with my purchase. I very much appreciate the forum and the opportunity to get other perspectives. My goal is to get somewhere in the southwest and learn how to live in a van/rv. I also have a goal of making it to the RTR in January. Seems like that might be a good stepping off point.

Really have been looking at vans. Just missed this $4000 sale by one hour the other day,

13346629_10153709800595488_3389089146348654128_n.jpg

It hurt my heart a little to have missed that sale. I think the Savana might be a good fit for me.
Then I started looking at the Class B vans (still not really clear on what the difference is between a class B and C, but anyway) and I wonder what your take is on the advantage/disadvantage of a Class B van vs a van like the Savana.

Fuel mileage can be about the same.
Is insurance on a Class B much different then on a regular van??
You'd get more room in a class B.
Stealth is less with a Class B. (however I'm not terribly concerned with stealth, though I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have it.)

Can a 19 foot Class B Dodge van get into the same type of off roads that a Chevy Express Cargo can?

These are some of my questions as of today, but feel free to suggest any ideas.
I'd like to have the basic set up at no more then $17,000. Then have a few thousand for solar, fridge, etc etc.
If I could get a nice van for $4000, though, that would be all the better.
Also, really open to the truck camper idea, as well as the truck/van with a travel trailer.
Boy, it's a lot to sift through!
Thanks

Class Bs are simply regular vans that have been pulled off the assembly line as incomplete and shipped to someplace like RoadTrek for complete interior and RV (propane, holding tanks etc.) installation.

You don't get any more room in them than you do in a cargo or passenger van.

What you do get is as much of an RV interior as the mfr. can cram in to the vehicle. Most of them add a slightly raised roof and then drop the floor pan in the center of the living area to give standing height.

The only difference in fuel mileage that you'd get would be from hauling all that weight around.

Class C's are usually built on a van chassis but the rear of the vehicle is done by the RV mfr. Only the chassis, drive train and drivers compartment are stock. They are usually longer in total length, slightly wider in the rear body and again have all the built in components of an RV. Fuel mileage will be less than a stock van because of the wider, longer and heavier RV.

IMO, if you don't want all the interior finishes of a commercially prepared RV such as 3 way frig, propane stove, shower, black and gray holding tanks, furnace and an RV interior, then there is no point in paying the money asked for a Class B and then modifying it.

It's also important to note that the life expectancy on many of the appliances in a commercially mfrd RV (of any class) have a life expectancy of app. 10 years and that's when used only occasionally. If you're buying an older vehicle expecting all the fixtures to work, you're most likely in for a big surprise.

Unless you're in the position of not being able to do any of your own work and/or want a fully finished, ready to drive away camper, then there is no point in buying a Class B.

Class B is going to be already built out and ready to go, although depending on what you buy there may need to be repairs. A van will require a build out which can be as complex or simple as you like. A Class B is a complex system which means when it requires maintenance, it may be more difficult to perform.

With a Class B, you will have an RV grey/blackwater dump system. This is convenient but requires heading to an RV dump site every so often (one to two weeks). You can choose your system in a van. If you prefer a simpler system, such as a sawdust pail, bag or composting toilet, a van is a better choice. A full RV system is better than a portapottie in my opinion.

Electric is already run in a Class B. There is likely a fridge and microwave, maybe a generator on board. They may not be the most efficient. Some Class B's are set up with the idea of plugging them in each night, which requires some adaptation for boondocking.

Which ever you choose, get a high top, the longer the better.

Class B's are titled as RV's, insurance cost is low. I don't know about comparable vans.

Class B's are of a size that can fit in a parking space, usually less than 20 feet long. I would not go much longer than that. I would not go with a Class C unless it was a very, very good deal.

There is not necessarily more room in a Class B. There may be more built in storage areas. Some Class B's may not have room for long or large items.

The tanks and dump pipes on our Class B reduce the ground clearance somewhat, a cargo van would have higher ground clearance. My passenger gets nervous on gravel roads with rocks.

I have not found lack of stealth to be a problem. I think the Class B puts us in the retired sunbird group, which is considered harmless by most dirt dwellers.

A nice Class B is a luxurious home, although you may find some of the amenities to be unneeded, unused and unwanted. For us that includes the generator, air conditioner, shower and microwave.

Next time I would build out my own van but I like my Class B. A complex van build out will take a lot of time. If you can live with a simple build, you can get going pretty quickly with your own hightop van.

A class b is an RV thats based on a standard van body. 
[img=301x168]http://www.motorhome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/210p-3q-sand.jpg[/img]

A class-C  is based on cab-chassis and the rear is made by an RV manufacturer:
[img=284x219]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5a/4c/d4/5a4cd426c72532e1a1a54c1bb4e8fd37.jpg[/img]

I have lived in a standard van, and now a class-b RV. I have taken the standard van up and down some gnarly gravel roads that I wouldn't dare in my RV. Its simply too heavy, and there are too many sensitive things mounted under it I wouldn't want to bash up, like propane and grey water tanks. But for normal farting around, the class-B is ideal for getting through parking lots etc etc etc.

some class b's are wide bodies so you can get a bed in the back,pretty much all rv interior is crap and with unnecessary things like a full size furness
also try "camper van" in your search

Gary68 said:
some class b's are wide bodies so you can get a bed in the back,pretty much all rv interior is crap and with unnecessary things like a full size furness
also try "camper van" in your search

Yeah, I think the only things I really gained from going Class-B from a standard van is plumbing, and the ability to stand up while in the RV. Everything else about the RV I already had in the standard van, and it was much much lighter. It also added a whole new layer of maintenance I had to perform regularly ontop of the basic engine/transmission etc.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't start with a SWB passenger van. I'd go get a standard van with a hightop, and custom make the interior to my liking.

That's helpful. Thanks.
Sounds like a used Class B is a option for me.

I can do all the work. I've done up to code total home rehabs.
I'd be taking out the old fridge and microwave, etc. Probably much of the cabinets, too.

What catches my eye about the Class B van is that, as mentioned above, they often have a high top and it seems a lot of used ones have really low miles and have been kept in garages.

I'll be keeping my eye out for them.
Thanks again.

steamjam1 said:
Yeah, I think the only things I really gained from going Class-B from a standard van is plumbing, and the ability to stand up while in the RV. Everything else about the RV I already had in the standard van, and it was much much lighter. It also added a whole new layer of maintenance I had to perform regularly ontop of the basic engine/transmission etc.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't start with a SWB passenger van. I'd go get a standard van with a hightop, and custom make the interior to my liking.

i like the b's/camper vans,comes with high top(hard to find in cargo van)some wiring,plumbing,external propane tanks but you pretty much have to gut them just to get rid of the osb/particle board crap and unnecessary systems,i would start like you with a camper van and gut it

What is a "SWB" passenger van?
Is that just a stock passenger like the Savana posted above.
What does the SWB stand for?

Also, when you all say "Camper Van" do you specifically mean the class b vans, or just a conversion with a high top?

DimondColorCloud said:

Also, when you all say "Camper Van" do you specifically mean the class b vans, or just a conversion with a high top?

short wheel base,camper van and class b are pretty much the same,but "class b" has become a fad and will bring higher $$$

DimondColorCloud said:
What catches my eye about the Class B van is that, as mentioned above, they often have a high top and it seems a lot of used ones have really low miles and have been kept in garages.

Really low miles is not always a good thing. Vehicles need to be exercised to stay in good shape, oils seals dry out, gas varnishes and plugs thing up, tires. brake lines dry rot, mice take up residence and on and on.

On thing about class B's is they can be very expensive. If you find say a 2002 van it could be $3000, a 2002 Class C might be $4800 a 2002 Class B might be $15,000!

On the positive side, to most people a class B is "just a van", so more stealth, and if your planning to do a workcamping job some may not want you in just a van, while a Class B would be fine.

But Im no expert, I'm still trying to come up with the cash for a van.

Gary68 said:
short wheel base,camper van and class b are pretty much the same,but "class b" has become a fad and will bring higher $$$

Thats so true.

DimondColorCloud said:

SWB = Short Wheel Base.

I do not believe Chevy made a shorty version of the Savannah.

DimondColorCloud said:
That's helpful. Thanks.
Sounds like a used Class B is a option for me.

I can do all the work. I've done up to code total home rehabs.
I'd be taking out the old fridge and microwave, etc. Probably much of the cabinets, too.

I'll be keeping my eye out for them.
Thanks again.

While you're keeping your eye out for a Class B that you can gut and do over, also keep your eyes peeled for a high top in the wrecking yard.

Mate it with a good van for a couple of hundred bucks and you've got yourself a better platform. The hightops are actually quite easy to move and reinstall on a different van.