Non profit RV park

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Many on this board would like to have a base camp to use or return to when necessary.   RV Parks are profit motivated and expensive.

Has anyone given a thought to purchasing a parcel of land that could be made into a non profit private RV park where space could be "rented" at a reasonable rate per month?   Seems workable for a group of like minded people who want stability yet can't afford to buy their own acreage.

The goal would be to have affordable space, security of a group, and the freedom to be individuals but yet in a group for all the obvious reasons.

This might work out for those who can afford a reasonable investment in return for free rent.

Electricity could be each individuals own solar system.  Water and septic/sewer would be required.

Comments?

This is an idea that has come up many times over the years I've been involved with vandwelling on the internet. There has been lots of talk and no action because it's nowhere near as simple as it sounds. Once you start looking at the details, there is a lot to it.

I do know of something that is close to this but that actually happened.

Near Showlow, AZ a developer bought a big chunk of land to develop a subdivision. It couldn't pass perk tests so he gave up on it so they started selling off the lots. You could buy acre lots for $1500-$2500 dollars so a bunch of RVing friends got together and bought individual lots adjacent to each other. They are not a group since each person has title to his land, but they are a loose group of friends living together.

I was invited but didn't want to do it. I won't tell you where it is because they like to be act as a group to invite people.

I can tell you there is a lot of land in AZ where anyone can do this. Go to a Realtor and find a spot with a whole bunch of adjacent plots and advertise here that you want to create a community of people who buy their own plots but live next to each other.

You eliminate the many, many problems of co-ownership but still get all the advantages. Generally, the land can be bought owner financed. I bought an acre for $2500 and paid $200 down with $100 a month for 2 years or something like that, I don't remember. After that you only pay taxes of about $30 a year. There is a ton of land still for sale where I bought mine. It is about 30 miles due south of the Grand Canyon on 64 in the area around the tiny town of Valle, AZ where 64 and 180 meet.

It would actually be pretty easy to do, but someone will have to take the lead and do the leg-work. It won't be me.
Bob

It's a good idea, but comes with a lot of legal and insurance issues.

I do like Bob's suggestion though. I've seen huge amounts of land on government surplus auction sites. Mostly in AZ. The parcels go super cheap too.

akrvbob said:
This is an idea that has come up many times over the years I've been involved with vandwelling on the internet. There has been lots of talk and no action because it's nowhere near as simple as it sounds. Once you start looking at the details, there is a lot to it.

I do know of something that is close to this but that actually happened.

Near Showlow, AZ a developer bought a big chunk of land to develop a subdivision. It couldn't pass perk tests so he gave up on it so they started selling off the lots. You could buy acre lots for $1500-$2500 dollars so a bunch of RVing friends got together and bought individual lots adjacent to each other. They are not a group since each person has title to his land, but they are a loose group of friends living together.

I was invited but didn't want to do it. I won't tell  you where it is because they like to be act as a group to invite people.

I can tell you there is a lot of land in AZ where anyone can do this. Go to a Realtor and find a spot with a whole bunch of adjacent plots and advertise here that you want to create a community of people who buy their own plots but live next to each other.

You eliminate the many, many problems of co-ownership but still get all the advantages. Generally, the land can be bought owner financed. I bought an acre for $2500 and paid $200 down with $100 a month for 2 years or something like that, I don't remember. After that you only pay taxes of about $30 a year. There is a ton of land still for sale where I bought mine. It is about 30 miles due south of the Grand Canyon on 64 in the area around the tiny town of Valle, AZ where 64 and 180 meet.

It would actually be pretty easy to do, but someone will have to take the lead and do the leg-work. It won't be me.
Bob

Bob, I think you are my father in law's neighbor. He owns 40 acres along the railroad tracks near the slurry line.

...Isn't slab city sort of a non profit... anything?

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

A close corporation with less than 35 shareholders would be the most effective way to do it. Could be profit or not. Each shareholder would be an owner up to the number of shares he owned. The grounds would not have to be elaborate with swimming pools and all amenities, just basic services to keep the initial cost down.

Even spaces with dry camping could be useful. A few acres could have dozens of spaces on them, with room for other uses as well.

Bob's idea is also a good one, and granted less complicated, but not as versatile.

Just kicking around ideas.

You're right, it could work. But it means lawyers, insurance agents, board meetings, interactng with the government and making community decisions. It means going along with everyone else even when I'm sure they are wrong.

All of that is the opposite of why I want to be a vandweller. I don't want to get anyone else's permission to do what I want with what I own. I want control over my life.

I want to simplify my life, not complicate it.

But many people may not think that way--I do tend to be extreme.
Bob

You are right. It's layers of laws and governmental hoops.

Case closed.

Once thought about finding property that was not selling well at all, and buying it for placing an RV on. You would need to be strategic. How close are neighbors? Do you have any water source? How close is town, and Cell Towers? What are the yearly environmental risks? (snow cover, dust storms, tornado or wind storm risk). Maybe make a check list.

offroad said:
Once thought about finding property that was not selling well at all, and buying it for placing an RV on.  You would need to be strategic.  How close are neighbors?  Do you have any water source?  How close is town, and Cell Towers?  What are the yearly environmental risks?  (snow cover, dust storms, tornado or wind storm risk). Maybe make a check list.

And don't forget to have a thorough check made of the building restrictions. I can hear it now - but we don't want to build on it... :rolleyes:  Some areas have restrictions that mean that you not only can't put multiple RV's on it unless it's zoned commercial but also that if it's zoned residential you can't even put an RV on it while you are building your new home. This means that you can't even use it for your own RV if you're living in it.

One of the townships near here allows RV/TT's but you have to have proof of a contract in place for emptying your holding tanks and you pay a yearly fee for a 'sticker' for your vehicle in addition to the property taxes. Also since it's zoned 'recreational', one can't live on it year round without getting it rezoned to residential.

The TINY HOUSE movement has to deal with that also. Some towns need to not enjoy creative housing opportunities.