Nomadland wins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nomadland the film is fiction. Not a documentary. Some real people from the book which was non-fiction played themselves. And no America is not made of tiny dark depressing corners. Most of it in fact is beautiful. But whatever fits your internal narrative. I read the book three times and I’m on my second viewing of the movie. And Northern Nevada is gorgeous.

That article from CNN was fantastic. The quote from Linda May about suicide and taking one more step I will keep and share with others. Linda May was the person who befriended Jessica Bruder and had a big part in the book.
She’s an incredibly generous person with the little she has (more now LOL but she deserves it) and she showed in the book the best of nomads: the sharing, camaraderie, support, sense of family and community etc Great article. Thanks for the link.

LERCA said:
That article from CNN was fantastic. The quote from Linda May about suicide and taking one more step I will keep and share with others. Linda May was the person who befriended Jessica Bruder  and had a big part in the book.
She’s an incredibly generous person with the little she has (more now LOL but she deserves it) and she showed in the book the best of nomads: the sharing, camaraderie, support, sense of family and community etc Great article. Thanks for the link.

I’m editing much later so sorry if this comes out like a quote. I watched the movie again and it was weird it was like a different movie (my memory issues are a whole other problem) Much different than I remembered and I liked it a lot better. 

In the movie, Fern stands on a rock outcrop and calls her name into the void and gets an echo back. I'd like to know where that is, it's different from the rest of the movie. Anyone know?

There's a pic of it in this article. Looking at where the other locations are, it would probably be Northern CA. Doesn't look quite like it though.

https://www.republicworld.com/enter...bout-chloe-zhaos-films-shooting-location.html

glad you liked it better Lerca, but it was definitely kind of weird. maybe i'll watch it again
and see if my perception changes ;)

wanderingsoul said:
In the movie, Fern stands on a rock outcrop and calls her name into the void and gets an echo back.  I'd like to know where that is, it's different from the rest of the movie.  Anyone know?

There's a pic of it in this article.  Looking at where the other locations are, it would probably be Northern CA.  Doesn't look quite like it though.

https://www.republicworld.com/enter...bout-chloe-zhaos-films-shooting-location.html
that could be the Black Hills in SD since they were just down the road in the Badlands?

This movie poster.. sure has some interesting scenery too.

Wonder why the did not use this version of it in the USA?

Attachments

• 1618340308768.jpg
    1618340308768.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 17
txmnjim said:
that could be the Black Hills in SD since they were just down the road in the Badlands?

There's an awful lot of trees.  Does SD have a lot of trees?

I found that they shot scenes in the San Bernadino forest east of LA too, maybe it's there.

There are a lot of trees in South Dakota, and if you’ve never been there it is one of my favorite states.

I’m going to watch this movie again here soon, before my free month of Hulu expires.

I would like to see SD. Especially after seeing her skipping through those rock formations. And Wall Drug, I want to see Wall Drug. I want to find rose quartz in the Black Hills, even though I already have some. lol

I've never been east of Montana/Colorado/Texas panhandle.

WanderingRose said:
There are a lot of trees in South Dakota, and if you’ve never been there it is one of my favorite states.

I’m going to watch this movie again here soon, before my free month of Hulu expires.
driving from MN i would say the SW corner of the state has lots of trees and i loved Custer SP.
it's huge! i thought Rapid City would make a cool home base...

WanderingRose said:
Well then, you need to make a plan and go.  :blush:

I know!  I would like to go to so many places!  But my Grand Caravan is a '97 with 137k miles on it now and I'm kinda worried about going too far from home base.

I need to make a plan for in a couple years. lol

Make a plan and go, because life is short. Grand Caravans with good maintenance have been known to hit 300k miles. And even new vehicles can break down, ya?

Edit: I just realised how off-topic this is, so...

Yay for the movie! I thought it was pretty awesome.

A good video about making Nomadland.

"An exploration of the artistry at play in Chloé Zhao’s Oscar®-nominated adaptation of "Nomadland." This series of conversations features the NOMADLAND producing team as they discuss Zhao’s filmmaking process and the film's unique production challenges. This special originally aired on ABC."

That was excellent, thank you for posting!

(I can't watch anything to do with this movie without needing a box of kleenex close by)

That’s because we identify with Fern’s pain.

We see ourselves in her, because we have been there, too.

She is just shown taking her grief, loss and life upheaval out into vandwelling.

Latest posts