Nomadland wins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Compassion is the breakdown of all the barriers between us. A heart to heart bonding. Your pain is my pain. It's mingled and shared between us."

I think that result is due to the desperation of the current times, and not to the quality of the film. I felt that the clothing and hair of the main character was an inaccurate portrayal of dweller standards. Well except for a few, see hair thread.
-crofter

How so? I've seen a few with that basic look while I was out camping. especially solo ones that are new to it I imagine as it's easy to keep short hair, plus dressing kind of andro prolly makes them feel safer than being spotted as a woman from a distance.

ChileSauceCritic said:
Everyone I know wears sweats to bed or shorts and a tee. That way they can roll out of bed and drive away quickly. Never, ever saw or heard of anyone sleeping in a nightgown. Nevermind walking through an abandoned town in one

Also, Fern's curtains... sheer? Not pulled tightly closed? Nope.

Sorry, I sleep in a nightgown or pj’s every night, tho I am only about a halftimer these days.

If no one else was around, I might wander a ghost town in them, too.

I have and would again drive away in them, too.

My observation is that in any community, this one or any other virtual or actual, a common element is the wide variety of individuals within.

Vast differences in appearance, income, clothing standards, living standards, mental health issues, etc.

I try to remember, every time I encounter someone who seems for whatever reason to be out of step with the world around them, that I just don’t know what they have been thru or what they are experiencing right now.

Lots of walking wounded out there, not all of whom could be portrayed in a few characters.

I haven’t seen Nomadland yet, as I am traveling, but will when I get home.

I admire Bob Wells tremendously, and the difference he has made in the lives of many.

I don’t think it deserves to win. Wasn’t that good acting and far from representative of a vast community living in a huge variety of ways. Hopefully it will stop people from moving into vans at least.

I haven’t seen it yet but to you folks talking about pajamas. It depends on where I’m parked but I often just sleep in a pair of under shorts. It’s just more comfortable. When I had a home I didn’t even wear them, I know too much information. But it reminds me of one of those rhymes I learned when I was a child. I have shared several on here.

I wear my pink pajamas in the summer when it’s hot
I wear my flannel nighty in the winter when it’s not
But sometimes in the spring time and sometimes in the fall
I jump between the covers with nothing on at all

God bless all the nomads no matter what they wear or don’t in bed.

LERCA I wasn’t thrilled with how things were portrayed either but really it represented Fern and her few friends. It’s fiction and as such a story of Fern. Not all of us. I thought the acting was great and I was pretty shocked how well it was done by non actors.

Have the people who didn't think it deserved to win seen the other 4 movies?

Correct me if wrong. Bob's story about his son is true? Swankie's lung cancer going to her brain is not true?

I think the film makers wanted to give the general public A story that causes respect AND pity for 2 types of nomads.

1. those who are forced into the life through no fault of their own.(the one the viewer could end up being with a run of bad luck)
2. those who are decent people who choose the life merely for the freedom.

Most of the general public only thinks of the stoners, burnouts, con men and crooks, or the other extreme rich retired people in the Huge RV's and 5th wheelers.  those 2 extremes are the minority but they are the ones that most people notice.